Storage space, and UI

Guest _Mark_

Guest stonebear

Oh, thank you so much :D Last method worked like a charm!

I'll probably edit this post if I have queries as to the next step.

Meantime, thanks again!!!

Yes!

I am glad it worked, took me a lot of tries too. :)

Guest stonebear

Right, used the superuser zip, all successful. Thanks guys :)

Great, being rooted is very handy and it's easy to to go back to stock for warranty purposes so don't worry about that.

I was a bit scared of using ext2 partitions and link2sd but it isn't a big deal really. It's easy.

I would really recommend flashing this http://android.modaco.com/topic/348024-kernel-technolovers-kernel-edition-11a-30112011/ kernel, it isn't a mod rom as such but allows overclocking and undervolting, so not only do you get more performance you get better battery life too.

Great, being rooted is very handy and it's easy to to go back to stock for warranty purposes so don't worry about that.

I was a bit scared of using ext2 partitions and link2sd but it isn't a big deal really. It's easy.

I would really recommend flashing this http://android.modac...n-11a-30112011/ kernel, it isn't a mod rom as such but allows overclocking and undervolting, so not only do you get more performance you get better battery life too.

Yeah, I've got Link2SD setup, I used an 800mb FAT32 partition from my 8gb card. I was also kinda worried about formatting C: by accident but nothing went wrong!

Quite tempted by a cutom kernel. Do you know if I could use a free overclocking app with it? I don't have a card tied to my android market so I don't usually buy apps - what about AnTuTu CPU Master?

Guest stonebear

Yeah, I've got Link2SD setup, I used an 800mb FAT32 partition from my 8gb card. I was also kinda worried about formatting C: by accident but nothing went wrong!

Quite tempted by a cutom kernel. Do you know if I could use a free overclocking app with it? I don't have a card tied to my android market so I don't usually buy apps - what about AnTuTu CPU Master?

Should be fine. :)

I find using Techno's kernel with just the slight bump up from 800mhhz to to 1 ghz makes a big difference. I use "smartass2" governor as it gives the best mix of performance vs battery-life.

Should be fine. :)

I find using Techno's kernel with just the slight bump up from 800mhhz to to 1 ghz makes a big difference. I use "smartass2" governor as it gives the best mix of performance vs battery-life.

Hmm, I'm having a little trouble with BusyBox.

I've got terminal emulator to see if it's on or not. Before, when i typed 'busybox' and hit enter it said 'busybox not found'.

So I downloaded this and then trie, now it returns 'busybox: permission denied'.

I can't open the busybox app, it just freezes temporarily if I try...

EDIT:

Well, it loaded eventually, but it's giving me some warnings I don't quite understand:

It says my phone needs to be:

Fully Rooted (yes)

A fully nand unlocked device (?)

ROM that supports upgrading BusyBox (? it's the stock 2.3.6)

At least 1600kb free in chosen installation path (where should I put it?)

Edited by 00Mark

You don't open busybox, it just sits there, allowing stuff to work.

It's the BusyBox Installer by Stericson. Where should I install it to? And do I have these things:

Guest stonebear

It's the BusyBox Installer by Stericson. Where should I install it to? And do I have these things:

That should be fine, I always just let it install where it wants, I can't remember if it gives a choice, I click "ok" on whatever is default.

That should be fine, I always just let it install where it wants, I can't remember if it gives a choice, I click "ok" on whatever is default.

Thanks, it worked fine, and the termianl confirms that BusyBox installation was successful.

Probably onto this tomorrow.

Guest stonebear

Thanks, it worked fine, and the termianl confirms that BusyBox installation was successful.

Probably onto this tomorrow.

It needs busybox so you are ready to go!

I just use that kernel and remove few apps and am very happy with the phone. As you know, removing some of the stock Acer apps doesn't create space, it just stops them bugging you.

Guest henness

Right, used the superuser zip, all successful. Thanks guys :)

My Liquid MT is on it's way, and so far I have found this very helpful to set it up rooted and slightly clocked, however, there is one thing where I'm not really following.

You mention the 'superuser zip' here and earlier, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I found it as an app or as a complete ROM, but which file did you use here? It would be very helpful if I know for sure, since I'll be going trough the same procedure explained here, when I receive my phone.

Thanks

Yeah, I'll be happy to help, having now done the complete process myself. The file is the one linked in this sticky, in the last section, instruction #2.

If you would like, I could write up the whole process in more detail than that sticky.

Guest henness

I think I already have the info and steps to go trough the process, but it might indeed be helpful if you wright it out a little better. Especially since this phone is dropped in price and heavily sold at the moment, so there will no doubt be more users with the same interests and questions.

Thanks for the fast answer!

I think I already have the info and steps to go trough the process, but it might indeed be helpful if you wright it out a little better. Especially since this phone is dropped in price and heavily sold at the moment, so there will no doubt be more users with the same interests and questions.

Thanks for the fast answer!

OK, this guide shows how to root the device, but keeping the stock ROM. It will be similar to the Sticky's guide, but in more detail for those who are a little less experienced with the Android platform.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 1: Installing a custom recovery

We we flash ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0 (CWM from now on).

1. Go to this thread, and download the link (you may need to make a MoDaCo forum account to do this). Save in anywhere on your computer; My Document will do fine.
  2. Go into the settings menu of your phone (Menu button > Settings), tap "Applications", "Development" and then tick the box next to "USB debugging". When the prompt appears, tap "OK".
  3. Download the Acer drivers, if you don't have them already. If you just got your phone and you don't know, you probably don't have them. Go to this website, select "Smartphone" > "Liquid" > "Liquid MT (S120)", then download the AcerSync application. Install this to your PC.
  4. Plug the phone into the PC with the USB cable. A message may appear asking if you want to use the device as a USB drive - if it does ask, you do not need to enable this.
  5. Locate the RecoveryMT-3.0 zip folder you downloaded and unzip it. Open it up, and, with the phone plugged in, double-click on the file install_recovery.cmd. If youneed to, tell Windows to allow the file to be run.
  6. Press enter once to say that your phone is in USB debugging mode and you have the drivers. Your device number (a long string of numbers and letters) should appear. Press enter again, and wait. This next step can take a while as Windows sometimes has to re-detect the phone. But eventually you will get a popup saying that the installation is complete. Press enter once again to reboot (the phone)
  7. Congratulations, you've installed a custom recovery!

If you want, test it out by doing the following:

1. Power off the phone (hold down power button for a second. Press "Power Off".)
  2. Reboot the phone into recovery by holding down FOCUS (camera button in the first 'click', not right the way in), VOL + (that's the one nearest the top of the phone) and the POWER button. Hold these three down for a second. Once the phone does a quick vibrate, take off the power button but be sure to keep pressing the other two. The Acer logo flashes up (at this point, let go of all the buttons), and then a screen with small writing and a picture of a hat. It looks like this.
  3. Navigate this menu up and down with the volume buttons. Select an option with the power button. For now, just select "reboot system now" to reboot normally into Android.

Step 2: Flashing superuser

We will download a zip, transfer it to the phone and flash it to give ourselves root access.

1. Download this and save it anywhere, for example in My Documents.
  2. You can turn off USB debugging on your phone now. Plug it into your PC. If a prompt appears, this time you must enable USB storage. If it doesn't appear, pull down the notifications bar on your phone, scroll left to the USB tab, and activate USB storage.
  3. On your computer, open the drive of your SD card, and copy the superuser zip you downloaded into it. Don't put it into a folder (just the root). And don't unzip it, leave it the way it is.
  4. At this point, Power off your phone and reboot into recovery as described above.
  5. Select "install zip from sdcard", then locate the "superuser.zip" file and select it. Confirm the action if it asks you to. Once it's been successful, reboot your phone using CWM.
That's it; you now have root.

Optional: Using Link2SD

Never worry about app storage again...

1. First, you're gonna need to partition your SD card. Download and install this program to your PC.
  2. Backup your memory card by opening the SD card on your PC, and copying its contents somewhere else.
  3. Create secondary partition by using MiniTool. This will not wipe your data, provided you have enough free space for the new partition. Open MiniTool, and ensure your SD card is shared to your PC. If it is, you'll see it's drive letter appear in MiniTool as Disk #2 (or #3, #4... if you have more than one hard drive in your PC). Click on the memory card partition under Disk #2 (or whatever # it is). Move the right arrow of the blue bar left, until the unallocated space is what size you want. Anything from 500MB to 2GB is fine; for an 8GB card, I used 800MB). Go back to the MiniTool main page, and Disk # should now have two sections. Right-click the second one and click 'Create'. If a pop-up appears, confirm it. Under 'Create As', choose primary, and under 'File System', go for 'FAT32'. Leave the rest as default, and press OK.
  4. Back at the MiniTool homescreen, click the Apply tick in the top left corner. A new window appears and after a few minutes the new partition should be created.
  5. Eject the disk, and unplug your phone. Download and open 'Link2SD' from the app store. Choose "FAT32 / FAT16" from the popup menu, and "Allow" the superuser request. You will see a message telling you to restart the phone. Do so normally (Power off and then on again). Go back into Link2SD and go to 'Storage Info'. If everything has worked correctly, you should see SD card 2nd part with X MB free space.
  6. Go back, then click menu and then "Multi-select". Choose the apps you want linked, or hit menu again and then select all. Once you've chosen, hit menu once again and click "Actions", then "Create Link". Check all three boxes and hit "OK". This will move the apps from the SD card (if they have been moved there) or the phone memory, to the 2nd partition and then 'link' them.
  7. Reboot your phone again. Done!

Optional: Install quick-boot to make life easier

1. Installing Quick Boot from the android market allows you to reboot your phone, or boot into recovery, with a single button press rather than trying to press all the buttons at once. You will need to allow a superuser prompt.
  2. Once it's installed, open the program, and you can choose either "reboot" or "reboot into recovery".
  3. It only works once rooted, so you still have to use the the phone-juggling recovery manouevre at least once, when flashing superuser.zip.

Optional: Install BusyBox

Many root apps require BusyBox to work properly. Think of it like a toolkit. The apps discussed so far include a stripped down version which allows them to work, but not all apps do, so it's a good thing to have on your rooted phone.

1. Download this installer from the android market.
  2. Run it on your phone, this app can be a little slow to run at first. Leaving all options default, install it by following the prompts, ensuring that it has select the latest version to install, and leaving it in the default location.
  3. Complete - it's as simple as that.

Optional: Delete system apps with Titanium backup

You can get rid a lot of the Acer crapware on your phone.

1. Install Titanium Backup from the android market.
  2. Open it, go to backup/restore; you may need to allow a superuser prompt.
  3. Locate an Acer system app from the list, then press on it and click "Un-install. You may wish to do a backup before deleting system apps - or freezing them might be a safer solution. However, so far I have deleted the following without any issues:
  • Social Jogger
  • McAfee Wave Secure
  • Docs2Go
  • UrFooz
  • Spinlets
  • RoadSync

Edited by 00Mark

Guest darren_

I'm running a rooted Acer 2.3.5, and also wanted to remove the Acer lock screen. There was an option in Settings to do that in the previous version but Acer no longer seem to be doing it.

I found the following advice:

http://android.modac...r-ui-under-235/

It may also work in 2.3.6.

Note the advice about making a backup first as you could end up bootlooped if you do it incorrectly. I think I used the Root Explorer method, and just changed the acer.shell.mode to DISABLED.

Guest stonebear

I'm running a rooted Acer 2.3.5, and also wanted to remove the Acer lock screen. There was an option in Settings to do that in the previous version but Acer no longer seem to be doing it.

Note the advice about making a backup first as you could end up bootlooped if you do it incorrectly. I think I used the Root Explorer method, and just changed the acer.shell.mode to DISABLED.

That works but you lose the pull-down bar with notifications (where you can scroll left and right with the pull -down and access shortcuts), so I tend to just live with the Acer lock-screen or use this for the best of both worlds. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&feature=search_result

Yeah, this worked for me :) Thanks.

I used File Expert (free) to remount the /system partition and then edited it with Note Editor (Jota would not save for some reason).

Is the pull down, non-left/right-scrolling notification how it is on stock Android?

Guest sumdumguy

Thx to this tread I have learned a few tricks.

Just running the stock rom at the moment but wanted to force 'pinball HD for tegra' to sd (i know it's weird it works, i don't even have that chainfire thing installed). So I rooted and installed link2sd without creating an extra partiton on my mem card. Link2sd allowed me to shove the pinball game to sd no problem, it's 40+mb. Also i found link2sd allowed me to delete some the sys apps which freed up more phone memory (delete cache+data b4 removing).

Just posting to let folks know about link2sd abilities even without having an extra partition setup and linked.

Edited by sumdumguy