Has anyone upgraded from a Nexus S?

Guest DesireUser

Guest DesireUser

Has anyone got the new Galaxy nexus after having owned the Nexus S?

These last few months I've been waiting on this phone but, after playing around with a Demo one in PH4U I'm less than impressed.

Everybody is raving about the screen but, apart from being slightly bigger, I can't see much difference to my Nexus S screen. The build quality felt cheaper, especially the power/volume buttons and I'm not totally on the ICS bandwagon yet.

However, that was just a quick 5 minute play with it. I'm intereseted in hearing from anyone who actually has one and a Nexus S on what your impressions are. I've heard from a few people who have one and, apart from the obvious issues, they're thrilled with it; but they are coming from older handsets such as the HTC desire etc. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it will be from a Nexus S

I'm still thinking about getting one but I'm really struggling to justify paying for this, especially as the Nexux S will be getting ICS pretty soon anyway.

Guest drewstiff

Has anyone got the new Galaxy nexus after having owned the Nexus S?

These last few months I've been waiting on this phone but, after playing around with a Demo one in PH4U I'm less than impressed.

Everybody is raving about the screen but, apart from being slightly bigger, I can't see much difference to my Nexus S screen. The build quality felt cheaper, especially the power/volume buttons and I'm not totally on the ICS bandwagon yet.

However, that was just a quick 5 minute play with it. I'm intereseted in hearing from anyone who actually has one and a Nexus S on what your impressions are. I've heard from a few people who have one and, apart from the obvious issues, they're thrilled with it; but they are coming from older handsets such as the HTC desire etc. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it will be from a Nexus S

I'm still thinking about getting one but I'm really struggling to justify paying for this, especially as the Nexux S will be getting ICS pretty soon anyway.

I've had all 3 Nexus devices and now that I have the Galaxy Nexus I keep thinking to myself that I probably wouldn't have missed much if I had skipped the Nexus S. At the time I bought it because it was an improvement and had far more internal storage (my main issue with the Nexus One at that point). However I could have made the Nexus One last until now tbh. In my opinion the difference between the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus is greater than that between the Nexus One and Nexus S.

I know it doesn't exactly answer your question!

Personally I don't regret my purchase of my SGN at all so far.

Guest Andi Desire

Thanks for the info. You seem pretty pleased with the upgrade from the Nexus S. Is that mostly ICS or are you happier with the hardware too?

i've upgraded from the Nexus S to the GN and loving it. i'm happy with the hardware too, i think the GN feels slimmer than the Nexus S. it's definately alot smoother and runs faster. I'd definately recommend an upgrade from the Nexus S

i've upgraded from the Nexus S to the GN and loving it. i'm happy with the hardware too, i think the GN feels slimmer than the Nexus S. it's definately alot smoother and runs faster. I'd definately recommend an upgrade from the Nexus S

I'd agree with comments above. I also had ICS on my NS prior to getting the GN, so that hasn't clouded my view. It's just a lovely phone to use. Build quality is also better than my NS, it just feels more ridged to me (my NS creaks a bit).

The NS is still a great phone though, you don't miss what you've never had - the trouble is it's too late for me now :).

Guest DesireUser

Thanks. I've decided I'll probably pick one up in a few weeks' time when they've ironed out the teething problems. I'm on Vodafone so I'll almost certainly have the volume bug if I get one now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eduardo Rocha

I also have the 3 nexus devices , I love them all, SGN is by far better than N1 and NS, it has greater screen resolution, feels better in the pocket (compared to NS) the build material compared to the NS is better.

I Ran the CM9 (ICS) alpha on the NS and even though that's not official ICS release I can tell it is really close to what it will be on the NS when the final image is released, it feels REALLY different on the GN, much much faster and smoother.

I am really pleased with the upgrade. the GN is an awesome device

Guest Luxferro

My previous phone was an Nexus S as well. I had ICS on it too. Like the others said, I am happy with my SGN. I like it a lot better then my NS. Not that I do a lot of watching videos, but just wait until you watch a HD clip on youtube, or a movie. The screen blows you away!

Guest onicrom

ive had my Nexus S since it came out last year. It has been one of my favorite phones. I bought a GN and was really excited, but at first I was a bit let down. I admit the screen is gorgeous, but I think the phone is just too big. IMHO a 4" screen is perfect for a phone. I may be a more unique case as I have a tablet as well ~8".

I admit it is fast and i like ICS (after i installed ADWEX and Paul's ROM), but im still a bit underwhelmed...

the NS was 550$ new

the GN is 750$ new

do you really think that its worth 200$ more? think how awesome (compared to other devices) the NS was when it first came out. gingerbread was so smooth the screen was gorgeous etc etc...

I am not unhappy with my purchase but im not jumping up and down excited either...

Edited by onicrom