rooting ? and debranding ? before upgrading rom

Guest ian_blade2

Guest ian_blade2

first of all hi guys ,

im totally new to this forum but have been browsing for a hell of along time , some info on myself basicly , i work within the mobile phone industry i configure and test mobile phone networks for the big boys.......

have been for a while now and its something i have big interest in.

my names ian im 30 and been browsing the forum for over 2 yrs now but thought id better join.

i have just bought the orange sf2 and also have the 1st one which i successfully installed 2.2 froyo jap jelly fish , rooted , unlocked etc with ease.

however having a bit of a problem with this one.............

1st of all how do you root this phone which application do i use as i dont belive universal androot still works on 2.3.5 ? i know it works upto 2.2 android but unsure about 2.3

also can u use astro file manager still ??

2ndly ive seen sebs rom id like to use this one as he seems a very trusted and clued up member so this is what i will be using i cant actually fully remember what else i need to do but would really appreciate someone helping me as i kinda messed up here.

i usually do my research 1st but bought it 1st and sold my sf1 to a friend provisionally tomorow so need to get this working asap as it is its locked to orange :( which is annoying if i cant find a unlock im gona use the sim devil option i think ...................anymore ideas welcomed and much appreciated once again thanks for providing such a perfect forum for android users :)

ian.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifunsure.gif

Guest The Soup Thief

Only a couple of people have them so far as they're so new out. Fancy blazing the trail and working up a root guide yourself? Might be worth trying z4root plus any other root apps you might find. Have a look in the Skate / Monte Carlo forum & see what those guys used

FWIW, Astro, as with other file explorers from the Market, should work fine

Guest Sebastian404

The network unlock will come eventualy..

The only way your going to get root currently is via a custom rom... If you don't want to go that far, grab my rebranded rom, unzip it and use fast boot to flash the boot.img to your device.

I hate writing documentation and I kinda depend upon the community to answer these sorts of questions, there's loads of places to learn about what to do, go look in the blade forum, just dont use blade specific roms etc on your device.

Guest ian_blade2

hi pedro yep thanks for that mate im currently looking into it all myself belive it or not i find it easier to configure a entire phone network than i do rooting and setting up roms on these things lol ...............however i do understand it kind of when i did my sf1 i used it for work so couldnt afford to mess it up i just needed it to work 24 7 so once it worked i left it was jap jellyfish rls8 and 2.2 froyo i used the correct methods and it never let me down once.

sebastian can u help me a little more mate.....................im happy to install and use your custom debranded rom , and as of yet im still trying to work out the rooting process , to use your rom do i still need to use clockwork recovery ? and can u tell me where i place which file .......just a tad confused sorry.

sorry explain fast boot a little more please im sorry to sound so thick but i spend my whole life thinking and trying to simplify this. if ud prefer i can email.

i appreciate all help and will always help where i can myself although right now i dont sound like much help haha ,

ian.rolleyes.gif

i have tried to root the phone using an old method and it basicly told me to f off lol

Guest Amphoras

hi pedro yep thanks for that mate im currently looking into it all myself belive it or not i find it easier to configure a entire phone network than i do rooting and setting up roms on these things lol ...............however i do understand it kind of when i did my sf1 i used it for work so couldnt afford to mess it up i just needed it to work 24 7 so once it worked i left it was jap jellyfish rls8 and 2.2 froyo i used the correct methods and it never let me down once.

sebastian can u help me a little more mate.....................im happy to install and use your custom debranded rom , and as of yet im still trying to work out the rooting process , to use your rom do i still need to use clockwork recovery ? and can u tell me where i place which file .......just a tad confused sorry.

sorry explain fast boot a little more please im sorry to sound so thick but i spend my whole life thinking and trying to simplify this. if ud prefer i can email.

i appreciate all help and will always help where i can myself although right now i dont sound like much help haha ,

ian.rolleyes.gif

i have tried to root the phone using an old method and it basicly told me to f off lol

The old root methods don't work as the exploits they use get closed in newer versions of android. If you want to root, you could try this http://android.modaco.com/topic/348994-rooting/ You need to install Sebastian's Clockwork first then flash the zip from there.

Guest The Soup Thief

Things are probably gonna hot up round here pretty soon as another of the brightest stars of the Blade forum has just bought a Vivacity

Expect good things!

Guest ian_blade2

just to add seb i have dragged ur rom onto just the sd card in no particular file along with the img file of recovery clockwork and rebooted phone holding up n down volume down i get a white box on screen saying ( FTM ) ?? any ideas mate.....thanks ian.

Guest ian_blade2

fingers crossed they do soup thief :) as im sat here gagging to get going with my sf2 but stalled at the minute the lights are on red lol but im revving up rolleyes.gif

ian.

Guest hecatae

in windows:

adb.exe reboot bootloader

fastboot.exe flash recovery clockworkmod.img

fastboot.exe reboot

in linux:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img

fastboot reboot

Guest ian_blade2

hi hectae where abouts in windows do i need to input the info its been a year since i touched my last 2.2 i really have forgotten everything im sorry :( ive spent 5 hours so far trying things lol i just wana get it working even if i have to keep it on orange for now.........

Guest ian_blade2

amphores that didnt work buddy lol it just carrys on firing up................if u hold the vol down button u get ( FTM ) again same as if both pressed down.sad.gif

Guest Sebastian404

you wont get root with any of the current methods 2.3.5 has had those exploits 'fixed'.

you need to have ADB installed and working, lots of guides for that on the internet.

then from a command prompt (CMD in windows) type the following with suitable pauses between:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery[/code]

and that should get you into clockworkmod recovery.

Guest hecatae

you wont get root with any of the current methods 2.3.5 has had those exploits 'fixed'.

you need to have ADB installed and working, lots of guides for that on the internet.

then from a command prompt (CMD in windows) type the following with suitable pauses between:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery[/code]

and that should get you into clockworkmod recovery.

any chance you can include that on your recovery post and then it could be pinned as a stickie

Guest Sebastian404

any chance you can include that on your recovery post and then it could be pinned as a stickie

It is mentioned on the page you download the recovery from......

Guest ian_blade2

thanks for all the help guys ive just spent an hour messing with adb , sdk manager ive got everything installed and set a path but now cannot find the device when i run adb devices in cmd none come up except for the laptop im using! :(

not a good start really as once i got thru this bit surely its a little more easier thanks for all the help so far. ian

Guest Sebastian404

thanks for all the help guys ive just spent an hour messing with adb , sdk manager ive got everything installed and set a path but now cannot find the device when i run adb devices in cmd none come up except for the laptop im using! :(

not a good start really as once i got thru this bit surely its a little more easier thanks for all the help so far. ian

1) have you got the drivers for the phone installed?

2) have you been into Settings/Applicatons/Development and enabled USB debugging?

Guest rijon99

I've rooted my T-mobile Vivacity pretty easily. It is actually quite simple.

1. Download & Install Sebastian404's ClockworkMod Recovery (the img file) through ADB.

2. Download and copy the de-branded ROM to SD card.

3. Install through Clockwork Recovery

4. Enjoy Root!

Personally I have updated to the latest SuperUser for my own convenience (Through installing the zip files from the Superuser website http://androidsu.com/superuser/)

post-777290-0-80329200-1322407174_thumb.

Guest Sebastian404

Personally I have updated to the latest SuperUser for my own convenience (Through installing the zip files from the Superuser website http://androidsu.com/superuser/)

I did think about updating superuser, but when I last tried it was very buggy for me... did you manage to get it update the SU binary?

I might give it another go, its been awhile since I tried.