What to buy? Advent vega or Lenovo ideapad A1

Guest jimsie

Looking for a tablet for Christmas but not sure what to buy? Was looking to get the Lenovo ideapad A1 but stumbled Across the Advent vega. I take it the advent has got a honeycomb port and dual core plus NVIDIA tegra gpu. But the Lenovo has built in gps chip and gingerbread and apparently is easy to root. Opinions please :)

Looking for a tablet for Christmas but not sure what to buy? Was looking to get the Lenovo ideapad A1 but stumbled Across the Advent vega. I take it the advent has got a honeycomb port and dual core plus NVIDIA tegra gpu. But the Lenovo has built in gps chip and gingerbread and apparently is easy to root. Opinions please :)

Hard to really give a recommendation given i have not seen or used an IdeaPad ... looks quite nice but the single core omap puts me off, regardless of gps inclusion. The Vega is an ok bit of kit, the specs are quite nice for the cash and as you mention it does indeed have HoneyComb, ICS port is also in the works. On pure specs and hackability and community id say Vega but it really depends on what you want it for, OS alone should not decide your tablet choice as the 7" IdeaPad may very well serve your web surfing, email and mapping needs.. Its also more portable than the 10" Vega so that may be a factor, the screen may be better than the Vega, cant say really ... Sorry feel like i just wrote these lines of text and still am no where near giving you the answer you'd like :) unlikely either as a 200 quid tablet is gonna boil down to a personal choice i think .... neither are up to ipad/transformer/xoom quality so below that its all a gamble on happyness with the product :)

Guest sjrixon

Work out what is important to you..

Screen Size - 7 or 10?

GPS - Why do you want this?

Speed/Power - If you want to play games then you need more.

Then you might be able to decide..

Thanks for the input, which has the better processor? I'm a bit of a fiddled so might go for the vega, have been spoiled with the zte blade for find and moss. Also ideapad isn't out yet and would have to wait 1-2 months. Have heard that the vega hasn't got any options for WiFi sleep policy :(

And the screen is a bit flexy.

Guest simonta

Thanks for the input, which has the better processor? I'm a bit of a fiddled so might go for the vega, have been spoiled with the zte blade for find and moss. Also ideapad isn't out yet and would have to wait 1-2 months. Have heard that the vega hasn't got any options for WiFi sleep policy :(

And the screen is a bit flexy.

Still depends on what you want. For horsepower, the Vega is much more powerful. But's that's only of interest for hardware accelerated games built for the Tegra, rendering high quality video and so on. Music, browsing, email and most other apps will be just as fast on either. Main difference you'll see is in the smoothness and responsiveness on the screen when using the launcher, flicking through the app drawer etc. Don't need to wait for the Lenovo to know that the Vega will be much smoother.

Vega custom ROMs (various) have WiFi sleep policies and the screen is not the best but I would be surprised if the ideaPad had one significantly better. Cost is always the limiter unless, like Amazon and a few others you are prepared to loss lead.

All else being equal, I'd say the Vega represents better value in terms of bang for your buck.

What about the archos 80 g9. Looks good but hasn't got a hard root yet? Does the 512 of ram cause any problems on the Vega? Especially with the vegacomb rom? Thinking I might plumb for the Vega, based on customisation. Thanks again :)

I know what you mean, I'm the same with my zte blade. Waiting patiently for ICS to become a bit more stable before I flash it :). Anyone working on ICS for Vega?

Guest IanTurner

Someone is working on ics for the vega but the last i heard was "it boots!!" which is a start but well no clear indication of progress so you'll have to wait for a thread indicating success