[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest Bouncer5

WARNING: I ADVISE AGAINST THIS FOR THE TIME BEING UNTILL I UPDATE IT.

Due to a lack of device, Updates have been stopped for the foreseeable future.

Sorry.

Oh and Happy 2012.

First of all need to thank some people.

Sebastian404 for Clockwork and some help and advice.

Flibblesan for the ROM and letting me tweak it and yet more help and advice.

Paul for the forum and wonderful community.

And a friend for letting me break his device several times while working out this process!</font>

WARNING: What works for me may not work for you, and I am NOT responsible for any damaged done.

This is based on Flibblesan FLB2-R1 Rom

For a list of changes and issues, Click Here

Changes in this Rom

Device name in "About Phone" is ZTE Crescent.

Boot Animation is a simple Google Logo.

Instructions still apply to any ROM you wish to use.

Required Files:

For San Francisco 2 ONLY Unlock_OSF2.zip (18.05 MB)

For T-Mobile Vivacity ONLY Unlock_VIVACITY.zip (18.04 MB)

ADB.zip (1.42 MB)

Driver Setup.zip (4.29 MB)

Crescent.zip (94.6 MB)

For San Francisco 2 ONLY sanfran2kernel.zip (3.45 MB)

For T-Mobile Vivacity ONLY vivacitykernel.zip (3.45 MB

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img (3.87 MB)

If you wish to use the STOCK firmware after you unlock your device, Follow section 3 using the files below.

Latest Orange SFII Update (128 MB)

Lastest T-Mobile Vivacity Update (119 MB)

Before you start take note of your Wifi MAC Address as a precaution!

• Download THIS file and install it.
  • Download the unlock.zip for your SFII or Vivacity. (WARNING: Using the WRONG unlock.zip will brick your phone completely)
  • Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow)
  • Make sure you installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "QPST Configuration" Click on "Ports" and then the "Add Port" button.
  • Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu
  • Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File
  • Make sure the file exists and is non-zero in file size before precedding - If not try the from step 6 again.
  • Unzip your Unlock.zip folder and run "download.exe"
  • If you are sure you want to Unlock your phone press "START!"
  • Sit and wait it out, Should take no more than two minutes until it is finished and Unlocked!
  • Go back to the "Software Download" utility and click the "Restore" Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  • If it will not restore tick "Allow Phone/FILE ESN mismatch"
  • Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice. Voila.
  • Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.
  • If your phone is in Clockwork Mod follow instruction set 3.

• Boot up phone
  • Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Install Drivers.
  • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
  • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
  • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
  • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

• Download Crescent.zip AND kernel.zip for your phone, If you DO NOT have the kernel.zip there could be issues. This is due to ZTE.
  • Load them onto your SD Card.</li><li>Reboot into Clockwork Mod Recovery (Either by ROM Manager or Powering off and on holding Volume Down)</li><li>
  • You will want to "Wipe Data/Factory" reset and also in advance "Wipe Dalvik" Cache then "Reboot Recovery" (Use the Home button to select)</li><li>
  • Navigate to install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard and select Crecsent.zip</li><li
  • Once Crescent.zip is installed once again choose zip from sdcard and select kernel.zip Once this is installed reboot system.
Edited by Bouncer5

Hi from a new member!

First thank you so much for all your help with unlocking OMC and Rooting etc.

From the threads that I have read ; a lot of people, including myself get into a right old mess along the way because we dont have a clue about this sort of thing and probably never will. We leave it to guys like you and reap the benefits off a freed Device.

What I found to be of great help when I almost Bricked the Monte was that; some kind person uploaded a Standard Orange Rom Image Pre-Rooted so all I needed to do was Upgrade using the System option in Android and change my pre-noted WiFi address and away you go.

One less Major Hurdle to Overcome as I was in a BootLoop.

Hope this helps and look forward to a step by step jargon free Tutorial.

Thanks for reading, Carl

Edited by CARL13

Guest Bouncer5

So how is the unlocking going? Or how did it go?

What are the problems you're facing with the CWM recovery?

Got it all sorted going to re-write how I did it, Its an easy process but it will save everyone from running around!

Guest Enimaxi

That will definitely help some people out, or at least save them some time reading on the forum. Which however is not necessarily a bad thing, seeing as you familiarize yourself with the whole environment.

So you figured the Clockwork out too? And were you able to root it properly?

Guest Bouncer5

That will definitely help some people out, or at least save them some time reading on the forum. Which however is not necessarily a bad thing, seeing as you familiarize yourself with the whole environment.

So you figured the Clockwork out too? And were you able to root it properly?

Yea I belive so, Will be renamin this thread to INSTRUCTIONAL. Just making sure all my instructions are do able on a fresh machine.

Guest h4gster

I have managed to get my TM Vivacity stuck on the green droid, can someone point me in the right direction before I have to take it back to the shop please? Thanks

Guest unrandomsam

I have managed to get my TM Vivacity stuck on the green droid, can someone point me in the right direction before I have to take it back to the shop please? Thanks

I don't know the key combo to apply a TPT onto the Vivacity.

But if you can find it out you could try this and then going through the unlock process again

put it into /sdcard/image.bin using a card reader

http://www.multiupload.com/O3B7NQIDKG

Guest h4gster

I don't know the key combo to apply a TPT onto the Vivacity.

But if you can find it out you could try this and then going through the unlock process again

put it into /sdcard/image.bin using a card reader

http://www.multiupload.com/O3B7NQIDKG

Thanks, I have tried a few combinations while turning it on but it all ends with the green droid though.

Guest Bouncer5

Pull the battery and hold the down volum button insert the battery and continue to hold it and hit the power button, Does it go into FTM mode?

Also when following the instructions where did it all go wrong?

Guest thefox_

Hi

what does it mean "Download this file and install it" on the first step??? which file? I didn't see any link...

also, I couldn't find install-recovery-windows.bat

Edited by thefox_

Guest Bouncer5

Adman

Ignore the bullet points and you flow the adb instructions

the fox, Error on my part spending 6 hours late at night tying to fix a bricked phone will do that to a man! Will add the right link and fix bills points once I get to a PC.

Guest oo03sjw

Adman

Ignore the bullet points and you flow the adb instructions

the fox, Error on my part spending 6 hours late at night tying to fix a bricked phone will do that to a man! Will add the right link and fix bills points once I get to a PC.

Thanks Bouncer5 for all of this work and everyone else involved, I thought I was missing something so thanks to the fox for asking my question.

Could you please post when the link has been updated.

Ta.

Guest Khalsa26

Thank you Bouncer5 (and others) for all the time and effort you have spent helping us.

However I am just stuck at the earlier possible stage and feel a right numpty.

Your line in the opening post says ... "Go into and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone."

Where is this bat file? I have looked everywhere but just cannot see it. Searching other threads it mentions "preparation folder". However I cannot find that either.

Sorry to trouble you but I feel the rest will be easy, once I find this bat file to run.

All I want to do is unlock my vivacity (do not need to debrand or put any custom rom on there)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Regards,

Pal

Edited by Khalsa26

Guest admanirv

Followed this as written, flashed CWM but cant select anything using home or power, i can only go up and down menus.

Has anyone actually got CMW to work on a tmobile vivacity?

Thanks for this guide Bouncer5

Could you add the known issues with the ROM to the first post please and cross them out as resolutions are found and the first post updated with them too. Thanks a lot ;)

Guest oo03sjw

My fault! I forgot to upload the ADB/Prep folder.

I will re-upload the UNLOCK Folders with the prep and update the instructions.

Hi Bouncer5 sorry to be a pain but have I missed the unlock files, they are not in the 1st post and prep?

Thanks as always

Guest Khalsa26

Hi bouncer,

Thank you so much for getting me this far.

I have followed all these steps.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Unlocking Your Phone said:

• Download the unlock.zip for your SFII or Vivacity. (WARNING: Using the WRONG unlock.zip will brick your phone completely)
  • Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow)
  • Make sure you installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "QPST Configuration" Click on "Ports" and then the "Add Port" button.
  • Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu
  • Make sure the file exists and is non-zero in file size before precedding - If not try the from step 6 again.
  • Sit and wait it out, Should take no more than two minutes until it is finished and Unlocked!
  • Go back to the "Software Download" utility and click the "Restore" Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  • Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice -

Voila.

Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.

The problem is now that it just boots into CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 as you say it should.

I have no idea what to do next. I thought when I did the Restore in "Software Download" I basically put the old rom back and now the phone is unlocked at this stage.

Sorry to be a total pain but please can you guide me what to do next.

All I want is an unlocked phone.

Thank you so much in advance.

Pal

Edited by Khalsa26

Guest Bouncer5

Hi bouncer,

Thank you so much for getting me this far.

I have followed all these steps.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Unlocking Your Phone said:

• Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice -

Voila.

Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.

The problem is now that it just boots into CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 as you say it should.

I have no idea what to do next. I thought when I did the Restore in "Software Download" I basically put the old rom back and now the phone is unlocked at this stage.

Sorry to be a total pain but please can you guide me what to do next.

All I want is an unlocked phone.

Thank you so much in advance.

Pal

Your phone is unlocked But you need to download a ROM. You can find a suggested ROM on the first page just now

If you open up Clockwork and go to Mounts and storage and mounth USB Storage, And load the files onto your SD card then follow the last part about loading a rom.