Photo

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

confu

confu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:OSF II
  • Twitter:@n/a
As a Newbie, I also would like to thank all those who have contributed to this thread, especially those who have contributed to the HOW TO and in particular Bouncer5, Seb404, the author of ZTECrescent blogspot (hope I am allowed to include him), and especially arvind16982 for their time, knowledge and patience. This is my first experience of Android phones and after hours and hours of reading I now have an unlocked unbranded OSF II. It took far less time than I thought and went far more smoothly than I could imagine but it was still nerve racking. There were two glitches; QPST was not happy about me saving the backup data in a file of my own choice, it saved it in its own bin file, and I have had to reload the few apps I had downloaded. I took the initiative of loading the key zip files onto their own SD card, replacing the one that I had loaded the apps on before I started. I also had a white signal for Wifi with one provider but it was working on my home network or I wouldn't have had the annoying news updates. How do I get rid of that? Keep up the good work.

JCPren

JCPren

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile Vivacity

Ah well stuck with this ROM then for now. But they worked with the stock so I don't see why they don't work anymore.

Edit ... progress ... found an app called ezboot on the market place ... lets you boot into bootloader ... and fastboot was working .... phew! one day gone
Thanks again for the assistance ... I've taken quite a bit of this thread :(

Thanks so much for this post. You're not alone: I had the exact same issue as you, and if it wasn't for your advice about "ezboot", I'd still be stuck!

Can anyone else confirm that USB debugging mode definitely worked for them *after* installing FLB's ROM? I'm wondering if it might be a ROM issue. (To recap, kazoooo and I both completed all of the instructions on page 1 successfully, got an unlocked and working ROM, but found that USB debugging mode no longer worked. Neither of us could get clockwork back again [to try another ROM], since the installation doesn't leave it on the phone permanantly, and we couldn't repeat the whole set of instructions from the beginning because they rely on USB debugging mode in the first stage.)

Edited by JCPren, 04 January 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I`ve swapped ROM about 15-20 times now including the same ROM several times. Yesterday alone I did 3 ROM changes and had the Crescent.zip on and 2 of the Fish N Chips ROMS. My Restore screen (CWM) still works and so does USB Debugging. I only turned USB debugging off after the last ROM change because the phone warned me it was still on and had an icon showing at the top of the screen. Their are many things that can stop any single or multiple parts from working. My CWM was difficult to get on at first, ROM Manager didn`t work, now ROM Manager started working and I get into CWM every time. I also get there by pressing the VOL down and Power.

Their are some new ROMS out with CWM built in and a file to flash that doesn`t need to change the ROM or anything else. I haven`t tested it but this is a way to add CWM without affecting the current ROM etc....

http://android.modac...flash-recovery/

This one, the 40mb version should be good with CWM built in. You`d have problems installing this one if you can`t get CWM just now though;

http://android.modac...-vivacity-tpts/

Steve

*** Just remember, any ROM change, Kernel change or any other type of change you do is at your own risk. Someone helping you is not responsible for any risks you decide to take. It works for many but their are situations, events and errors outside of the control of a third party that may cause a bricked phone. Think before you start. I took the chance and thankfully it worked for me. Had it not then only I would have been to blame. ***

Thomas J Marshall

Thomas J Marshall

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent
Had trouble after unlocking SFII (thanks to everyone that posted and helped me out). Managed to install recovery and have wiped battery stats and waiting until phone runs down. I want to try crescent again to see if that fixes things otherwise I'll revert to stock and return it as faulty. I have a few questions:

• Do I just go into recovery and run update assuming I have crescent on sd card as a zip file?
  • Do I need any other files? Wipe any files?
  • Will recovery remain after this?
  • Will recovery remain if i flash the stock rom?
Thanks.

Steve, just noticed your post, thanks, yes, that's how I got recovery on.. Still like to know above.

Edited by Thomas J Marshall, 04 January 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Thomas J Marshall

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Had trouble after unlocking SFII (thanks to everyone that posted and helped me out). Managed to install recovery and have wiped battery stats and waiting until phone runs down. I want to try crescent again to see if that fixes things otherwise I'll revert to stock and return it as faulty. I have a few questions:

• Do I just go into recovery and run update assuming I have crescent on sd card as a zip file?
You need the Crescent.zip and the correct kernel.zip file, either SFII or Vivacity, on the SD Card. Flash the Crescent.zip then immediately flash whichever kernel file to realign the keyboard. In your case its the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip file. Its crucial to do both of them BEFORE rebooting to the system or you have to start over again.

2. Do I need any other files? Wipe any files?

See above, just the correct kernel zip file and don`t unzip any of them. Wipe the data/factory, the cache then use advanced to get to the Dalvik Cache BEFORE flashing the Crescent.zip and the correct kernel.zip

3.Will recovery remain after this?

It should and use of ROM Manager should be possible from then on. Second option, first page of ROM Manager. Its free too.

4. Will recovery remain if i flash the stock rom?

It should because you already added the CWM. If not then you just have to repeat that stage. But you`ll probably only put the stock ROM on if you continue to have problems and want to return the phone. If the phone works OK and you try some of these ROMS theirs no way you`ll ever want to go back to stock.

Thanks.

Steve, just noticed your post, yes, that's how I got recovery on.. Still like to know above.

Make sure the phone is fully charged again before doing any of the above......

Steve

Edited by Reider59, 04 January 2012 - 03:36 PM.

*** Just remember, any ROM change, Kernel change or any other type of change you do is at your own risk. Someone helping you is not responsible for any risks you decide to take. It works for many but their are situations, events and errors outside of the control of a third party that may cause a bricked phone. Think before you start. I took the chance and thankfully it worked for me. Had it not then only I would have been to blame. ***

Thomas J Marshall

Thomas J Marshall

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Make sure the phone is fully charged again before doing any of the above......

Steve

Steve, thanks again for all your advice. Sorry to keep asking stuff but I just want to check I don't need to backup qcn? That'sjust for unlock right?

Thomas J Marshall

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Steve, thanks again for all your advice. Sorry to keep asking stuff but I just want to check I don't need to backup qcn? That'sjust for unlock right?

Thats right you unlocked, then restored the QCN to put your WiFi and system stuff back on. This time you`re going to hopefully do a Data/Factory Wipe, Cache Wipe and Dalvik Cache Wipe. Then change to the Crescent ROM, add back the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip, both of them before rebooting the system don`t forget or you make it harder by starting again. You could do all of this without the USB cable connected so no you don`t need the QCN file this time around, thats just for when you unlock. Just make sure you always retain a copy of your Mac number, though it too can be fixed its easier not to create the problem in the first place. If theirs anything you wish to keep, like GMail settings/Contacts, paid for apps, programs and settings then Titanium Backup should be run first before you wipe and ROM change so it dumps a backup to your SD Card. Then after all is wiped, ROM and kernel installed, system rebooted you run the restore from Titanium Backup and put back any of your swag you wish to retain on the new ROM settings.

Steve

Edited by Reider59, 04 January 2012 - 06:22 PM.

VS5

VS5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile Vivacity ZTE Crescent
Still can't get wifi on my TMV. Mac address shows 11 22 33 44 55 66. I kept the old mc adress but cant see the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in the hex editor.Each time I open hex and go to find, it says no strings found (either text or hex. When I looked at a youtube video the 11 etc was shown horizontally across the cells. I cannot find any run starting with 11 and have gone top to bottom (takes a very long time!!)

Originally I thought I backed up the qpst file, but now I find I have 2 in the 'bin' folder, numbered 0 and 1. When phone is connected via usb and debugging etc, neither show an 11 sequence when I open up the hex editor. i went from FTM to qpst found the phone in software download and came up with these two files. If they are both, or either in the qpst, why cant I see my original or 11 22 33 44 55 66 address appearing anywhere in the hex files?

Phone is unlocked, with plain vanilla version and I get 3g but wifi shows a message:Your phone dosent write mac address, please confirm.....(if only)!....still happy with phone but getting completely out of my depth now.

VS5

Thomas J Marshall

Thomas J Marshall

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Another query on my marathon SFII unlock. I had 3 issues after unlocking, intermittent no signal, intermittent blank sd card and battery drain/level fluctuations. Eventually I managed to get CWM recovery on and have flushed the battery stats. This has solved the battery problem amd my intention was to re-flash crescent and SFII kernel. However, I'm supposed to let the battery drain completely before re-charging so I thought I'd wait and see if the other 2 issues resolve - no sim in at the minute but the sd card is still showing blank error.

My question is about the sd card. The 2gb that came with the phone worked for a while but now doesn't and 2 different (new) 8gb cards the same. They do work in windows. I always disconnect from windows after looking at the card.

Should I format them first? Should the format be fat?
Is it likely to be a problem with the card, the phone or the unlock?

Thomas J Marshall

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Still can't get wifi on my TMV. Mac address shows 11 22 33 44 55 66. I kept the old mc adress but cant see the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in the hex editor.Each time I open hex and go to find, it says no strings found (either text or hex. When I looked at a youtube video the 11 etc was shown horizontally across the cells. I cannot find any run starting with 11 and have gone top to bottom (takes a very long time!!)

Originally I thought I backed up the qpst file, but now I find I have 2 in the 'bin' folder, numbered 0 and 1. When phone is connected via usb and debugging etc, neither show an 11 sequence when I open up the hex editor. i went from FTM to qpst found the phone in software download and came up with these two files. If they are both, or either in the qpst, why cant I see my original or 11 22 33 44 55 66 address appearing anywhere in the hex files?

Phone is unlocked, with plain vanilla version and I get 3g but wifi shows a message:Your phone dosent write mac address, please confirm.....(if only)!....still happy with phone but getting completely out of my depth now.

VS5

You may have already been here but this is the best place to post as its MAC Address specific thread for Crescent phones;

http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/

Steve

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Another query on my marathon SFII unlock. I had 3 issues after unlocking, intermittent no signal, intermittent blank sd card and battery drain/level fluctuations. Eventually I managed to get CWM recovery on and have flushed the battery stats. This has solved the battery problem amd my intention was to re-flash crescent and SFII kernel. However, I'm supposed to let the battery drain completely before re-charging so I thought I'd wait and see if the other 2 issues resolve - no sim in at the minute but the sd card is still showing blank error.

My question is about the sd card. The 2gb that came with the phone worked for a while but now doesn't and 2 different (new) 8gb cards the same. They do work in windows. I always disconnect from windows after looking at the card.

Should I format them first? Should the format be fat?
Is it likely to be a problem with the card, the phone or the unlock?

From what I read its FAT32 if over 4gig, which the 8 gig ones are. With the amount of problems I`d be tempted to get that phone back to stock asap and swap it for a new one. I actually did half of my 16gig card as FAT32 and the other half as EXT2 for apps like APP2SD to move apps to the SD card. In your case I`d keep it all as one partition in FAT32, wipe the data/factory, wipe the Cache, wipe the Dalvik Cache, flash the Crescent ROM, Flash the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip and only then reboot the system (phone). If any problem at all remains I`d get that Stock ROM on and take it back like Jack Flash. As far as charging to 100% and letting it go flat is concerned I can only say that`s what I read, that both have to be done to get a full reading-I`m not about to argue with that. I let it go to 4% only then charged it again at that point.

I can`t say if its anything else with the phone thats causing the problems, because I wasn`t there at the time. I do know one or two people have repeated the unlock and then continued from there with the ROM change. But these are usually for other reasons. Just make sure you have the original Mac Address written down correctly too. If in any doubt at all then flash stock, return the phone and look innocent and play daft. Make sure your actors union card is up to date Posted Image

Steve

Edited by Reider59, 05 January 2012 - 08:08 PM.

VS5

VS5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

You may have already been here but this is the best place to post as its MAC Address specific thread for Crescent phones;

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve. Had a go at this but still could not get any joy. Hoping that the folks over there can point me in the right direction. I am new to all this, but my gut instinct tells me that I haven't saved , backed up or restored somewhere along the line, as I cant think of anything else that I can isolate. Strange because the DEAD type files for backing up and restoring are all full, not zero. Pity I cannot find a programme to read them, although I thought someone somewhere talked about altering text files to make changes? I followed the instructions carefully, but if all else fails maybe I can falsh the rom again or retrace my steps and start over. Trouble is it seems a pity to get this far then messing up an otherwise clean unlock. Thanks for your imput, if you think of anything else, I will try it, although as I say, I think I am running on beginners luck, so far!

VS5

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Thanks for the tip Steve. Had a go at this but still could not get any joy. Hoping that the folks over there can point me in the right direction. I am new to all this, but my gut instinct tells me that I haven't saved , backed up or restored somewhere along the line, as I cant think of anything else that I can isolate. Strange because the DEAD type files for backing up and restoring are all full, not zero. Pity I cannot find a programme to read them, although I thought someone somewhere talked about altering text files to make changes? I followed the instructions carefully, but if all else fails maybe I can falsh the rom again or retrace my steps and start over. Trouble is it seems a pity to get this far then messing up an otherwise clean unlock. Thanks for your imput, if you think of anything else, I will try it, although as I say, I think I am running on beginners luck, so far!

VS5

In that same thread you posted in someone mentions two NV-xxxx files in the system folders/sub folders on the phone. Two specific files are mentioned, I think file NV_4319 txt and NV_4329.txt. (on the phone not the SD card) I used ASTRO to look at mine and they are different NV files, I think the ones mentioned were for the MC not for the San FranciscoII or the Vivacity. They said in one post ignore the MAC Address line starting # and adjust the next one to the new Mac Address. But someone else said they used the Mac Address listed in the # line and re typed it in the next Mac Address line, the same in both files.

I cannot and will not tell you to try this since the files are for a different phone and may not work with the SFII and Vivacity. But I know if I had the problem exactly what I`d be doing at this moment. Knowing if it did work its only as temporary as the next ROM change then its got to be repeated for those same files again. What you do now is up to you, think it takes Superuser access. But more details are in that thread.

I`d be making a copy of both files too and writing or pasting the current MAC Address settings in those 2 files to an aptly named text file or two on my desktop. Just to play safe.....

Steve

Edited by Reider59, 06 January 2012 - 03:09 AM.

Nikg

Nikg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

I have managed to unlock my ZTE crescent and loaded a mod that doesn't work very well, so would like to use one of yours. However everytime I try and load the Clockwork Mod Recovery I get to "Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img" and it just says waiting for device. am I missing something?

Thanks,
Nik

madjandle

madjandle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco II

Hi!

I have managed to unlock my ZTE crescent and loaded a mod that doesn't work very well, so would like to use one of yours. However everytime I try and load the Clockwork Mod Recovery I get to "Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img" and it just says waiting for device. am I missing something?

Thanks,
Nik

I am also getting this message.... any help?

madjandle

madjandle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco II

I am also getting this message.... any help?

Ok so because Clockwork Mod Recovery is already up and running I guess that you just skip this step and move onto installing the ROM.

If you are still having trouble Nik I hope this helps.

PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4, Tesco Hudl
  • Twitter:@djsubterrain

<br />Ok so because Clockwork Mod Recovery is already up and running I guess that you just skip this step and move onto installing the ROM.<br /><br />If you are still having trouble Nik I hope this helps.<br />

Also, just be sure to delete the caches first when you install a new rom and also install the stock kernel for your phone without restarting between installing the rom and installing the kernel.

VS5

VS5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

In that same thread you posted in someone mentions two NV-xxxx files in the system folders/sub folders on the phone. Two specific files are mentioned, I think file NV_4319 txt and NV_4329.txt. (on the phone not the SD card) I used ASTRO to look at mine and they are different NV files, I think the ones mentioned were for the MC not for the San FranciscoII or the Vivacity. They said in one post ignore the MAC Address line starting # and adjust the next one to the new Mac Address. But someone else said they used the Mac Address listed in the # line and re typed it in the next Mac Address line, the same in both files.

I cannot and will not tell you to try this since the files are for a different phone and may not work with the SFII and Vivacity. But I know if I had the problem exactly what I`d be doing at this moment. Knowing if it did work its only as temporary as the next ROM change then its got to be repeated for those same files again. What you do now is up to you, think it takes Superuser access. But more details are in that thread.

I`d be making a copy of both files too and writing or pasting the current MAC Address settings in those 2 files to an aptly named text file or two on my desktop. Just to play safe.....

Steve

Thanks for the wifi info Steve. I finally managed to get it going after checking various posts on this site. Basically the mac address was coming up as 11 22 33 44 55 66 and it couldn’t be found in any hex editor, which would have made the change more straightforward.

I have set out the following steps in the hope that it may help to give some clues to anyone having the same problem.

First download ES File Explorer from the market. You will need to go into into Settings and click (tick) on Root Explorer and also Mount File System. Then go into the main directory, which I think loads as /SDCard/. Change this to / only, to get into the system directory.

Scroll to the “etc” folder and locate the two nv_ files. My phone is a TMV so they may vary for other phones. Click on nv_4330 and open with ES editor. Find the macaddresses, there will be two.

The first one has a # before the mac address and this will be either your original address or a new one. (I found that this didn’t matter either way as I tried out both). Below this one is the dreaded 11 22 33 44 55 66 address.

Change both addresses to either your original mac address (assuming that you have it) or to the top one shown in the file if you do not. (Both worked for me). Save and close the file and then open nv_4331 and repeat procedure.

Go back to main screen, switch off, reboot and hopefully, the new mac address will be shown in: Settings, About Phone, Status, WiFi, Mac Address.

You may still get the popup “Your phone doesn’t write mac address, please confirm, but oh yes it does!

Switching on from the power button seems to stop this popping up.

As always, I would advise caution if you are not sure and get advice from more experienced people. I would only go for this method if you cant find the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in any Hex editor. (XV132 Editor seems to be the most straightforward one). Incidentally your nv files may have different numbers to mine so look through any nv files to find the ubiquitous 11 22 33 44 55 66. If all looks good use something like Titanium Backup or similar on the files after completion, as the files are a bit fiddly to change on the phone rather than PC and you don’t want to repeat unless you have to. I don’t know whether you would have to reset these files anyway if you reflash a new rom, I’m sure someone who has been there can answer. Hope this works for you.

VS5

Reider59

Reider59

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
lol I suggested that in post #273, you may have missed it. Wasn`t sure if it would work as it was originally for another phone. However, each time you change ROMS you`ll now have to repeat that trick as the NV_XXXX files change with the addition of the new ROMS. But hey ho, as long as it gets you out of a tight spot a couple of mins work doesn`t matter too much.

Steve

jameng

jameng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the unlocking and rooting guide, much appreciated! It hung for me on the unlocking but I closed the program and re-ran it. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users