Photo

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

misodoctakleidist

misodoctakleidist

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks Bouncer.

I have already flashed clockworkmod using the adb method so it is only the second part I will need to do. Should be pretty straight forward, but I will let you know how I get on.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2
1) have got a bit further, if while im in QPST config, i start clients, then hit software download in there, the port now shows phone surf7627 etc. Hitting software download in qpst from the start menu didnt work.

2) is the phone name correct when it says surf7627

3) installing rom, do you load to sd card in the phone or put sd card into pc then back into phone?

anybody able to assist a newbie.....

Edited by bryfly, 05 December 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Athers99

Athers99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco 2
Hi,

Followed the instructions and managed to unlock and root my phone, but my wifi doesn't seem to be working.

When I go to setting and click WIFI , I get the following message:

"Your Phone does not write WIFI Mac address, please confirm"

Then when I attempt to connect to my wifi network it just doesn't connect and then after a few seconds goes to disconnected.

My wifi is fine as it is connecting to my Galaxy S and laptop fine.

I notice my WIFI Mac address has changed since routing. Do I need to change it back to the original address?

If so, where can I do this?

Thanks
Athers

Enimaxi

Enimaxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Nokia N95, ZTE Crescent (SFII)
  • Twitter:@N/A

Hi,

Followed the instructions and managed to unlock and root my phone, but my wifi doesn't seem to be working.

Then when I attempt to connect to my wifi network it just doesn't connect and then after a few seconds goes to disconnected.

I notice my WIFI Mac address has changed since routing. Do I need to change it back to the original address?

Thanks
Athers

Hey Athers,
Did you restore the .qcn file as the tutorial says? That should solve the wifi problem.
Maybe you should take a look here: http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/. It's in the Skate forum, but the principle is the same.

I've got a question of my own:

Bouncer,
Seeing as your tutorial does not follow the steps of recovering to stock recovery like the Skate one does, is this necessary? If so: is the original recovery that's on the SF2 (the Orange one) a stock recovery? In other words: is there a problem in following your tutorial without recovering it first?

To be clear, I'm refering to this step in the Skate tutorial:

Go into “Preparation” folder and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone.

Greets

Edited by Enimaxi, 05 December 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Bouncer5

Bouncer5

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Android oh course!
  • Devices:GS2
  • Twitter:@zumodoki

Bouncer,
Seeing as your tutorial does not follow the steps of recovering to stock recovery like the Skate one does, is this necessary? If so: is the original recovery that's on the SF2 (the Orange one) a stock recovery? In other words: is there a problem in following your tutorial without recovering it first?

To be clear, I'm refering to this step in the Skate tutorial:

Greets

I am unsure if the stock recovery for the Vivacy and SF2 are the same, But after an unlock you are left with no ROM, So having it flash CWM seems like a better idea, as then you can atleast flash a ROM, Even if you flash the stock rom, you will have a stock recovery again.

I hope this helped? Although I feel it may not have

Posted Image

Bouncer5

Bouncer5

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Android oh course!
  • Devices:GS2
  • Twitter:@zumodoki

Hi,

Did you take note of your WiFI MAC Address as my instuctions said? Also if you had followed them you would have restore some files to the phone. The files that you backed up containted your WiFi MAC Address

Thanks
Athers

Posted Image

Athers99

Athers99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco 2

Hi Bouncer,

I had problems backing up the files part so could not do it.

I did note down my mac address though on some paper. Now realise this backup included the mac address backup too :(

Where can I manually restore this mac address then?

Athers

Enimaxi

Enimaxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I am unsure if the stock recovery for the Vivacy and SF2 are the same, But after an unlock you are left with no ROM, So having it flash CWM seems like a better idea, as then you can atleast flash a ROM, Even if you flash the stock rom, you will have a stock recovery again.

I hope this helped? Although I feel it may not have

Not really what I meant.
In the Skate unlocking tutorial it says that you first have to flash the stock recovery on the device, before you can unlock it. That step is not in your tutorial. I've got two questions concerning this:

1. Is it necessary to have the stock recovery on your device before unlocking, or will any recovery do?
2. Is the recovery on the device when you get it out of the package a stock one?

In other words: when I take my device out of the package, can I immediately start the process of unlocking?

Amphoras

Amphoras

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Not really what I meant.
In the Skate unlocking tutorial it says that you first have to flash the stock recovery on the device, before you can unlock it. That step is not in your tutorial. I've got two questions concerning this:

1. Is it necessary to have the stock recovery on your device before unlocking, or will any recovery do?
2. Is the recovery on the device when you get it out of the package a stock one?

In other words: when I take my device out of the package, can I immediately start the process of unlocking?

If you don't have the stock recovery, you can't get into FTM mode and you can't carry out the unlock process.

Yes, the device comes with the stock recovery already on it. That's why its called the stock recovery :P.

TPT Helper lets you easily repartition your ZTE phone, install a new ROM and for the Blade, convert to/from Gen 2. Available for Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade, Orange Monte Carlo/ZTE Skate and Orange San Francisco II/T-Mobile Vivacity. https://market.andro...horas.tpthelper

TPTs and other apps

BrideOfTheAtom

BrideOfTheAtom

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Nanotechnology, Hacking, Gaming
  • Devices:T-mobile Vivacity
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my home button not working on CWM recovery. I have an orange screen as apparently I should but only the up and down volume keys work plus if I press the power button the menu disappears. If I scroll through the menu a few times "Back Button Enabled" appears but that doesn't do any good. I have performed the Unlock procedure as stated in this thread.

I can still reboot using adb when CWM recovery is loaded, however when it boots back to the green man I can't communicate with it though adb. An unknown device called Android appears to want install on my 32-bit Windows XP system but it can't find the drivers.

Any advice on what I can do?

I'd really appreciate your help. I'm usually okay fiddling on with things like this but the thought of throwing 100 quid down the drain is a bit too hard to handle :(

admanirv

admanirv

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S3
Download the latest CWM from sebs thread, and keep going up and down until you get 'back key enabled' then you the power button to select items.

garethp

garethp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Just wanted to say thanks to Bouncer5 for this tutorial, as I have managed to unlock and put the debranded firmware on my phone this afternoon.

Have a couple of questions, that hopefully the answers of which may help others.

In instruction set 3, it says "You will want to "Wipe Data/Factory" reset and also in advance "Wipe Dalvik" Cache then "Reboot Recovery" (Use the Home button to select)"
When I chose reboot recovery the phone went into a blue recovery menu system, which I think is stock recovery? This only had the "install update.zip" option. I couldn't choose the specific crescent.zip file. However, I pulled the battery and USB and rebooted the phone with volume down held and it went into Clockwork thankfully.

Also, if I was to download the latest R2a rom from here, I am assuming I would use this instead of the Crescent.zip in your tutorial. Would I also need to apply the kernel.zip again afterwards?

Once again, thanks Bouncer5.

Gareth

Edited by garethp, 06 December 2011 - 08:11 PM.

BrideOfTheAtom

BrideOfTheAtom

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Download the latest CWM from sebs thread, and keep going up and down until you get 'back key enabled' then you the power button to select items.

Thanks for responding to me. I do see the back key enabled text flash up but it didnt seem to make any difference. Without the back key enabled text it just makes the menu disappear. With the text I don't think it did anything. I can move up and down with the volume buttons though...

Also, if I wanted to update CWM how would I do so if I can't boot into another Rom?

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom, 06 December 2011 - 08:14 PM.

tubbycyclist

tubbycyclist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks for responding to me. I do see the back key enabled text flash up but it didnt seem to make any difference. Without the back key enabled text it just makes the menu disappear. With the text I don't think it did anything. I can move up and down with the volume buttons though...

Also, if I wanted to update CWM how would I do so if I can't boot into another Rom?

I had a similar problem on the TMV - the capacitive buttons did not work first time, so I rebooted into CWM and then they worked. Volume buttons scrolled through options and the HOME key (not the power button unlike a lot of other phone) to select.

Once you have CWM you can flash any (device specific) ROM.

BrideOfTheAtom

BrideOfTheAtom

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I had a similar problem on the TMV - the capacitive buttons did not work first time, so I rebooted into CWM and then they worked. Volume buttons scrolled through options and the HOME key (not the power button unlike a lot of other phone) to select.

Once you have CWM you can flash any (device specific) ROM.

I installed CWM as part of the unlock procedure. How would I reinstall CWM independently?

Liamness

Liamness

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco II
  • Twitter:@liamness

Why might adb not recognise the phone when I plug it into my Macbook? Tried an HTC Desire to check if I'd set adb up wrong, but no, that works just fine! Or is there another way to install clockworkmod?

Got it working. Lots of trying different cables, switching the phone off and on, starting and restarting the adb server. It worked eventually! Phone is now rooted and debranded. Although I'm not sure if it's unlocked. I've installed CWM, which I then used to install flibblesan's ROM, and then flashed the kernel. That doesn't sound to me as if I've unlocked it at any point. Going to go and find a SIM from another network just to check.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
Before i start the process can somebody confirm that you put the "Recovery-clockwork -4.0.1.5-blade2.img"inside the ADB folder....cheers

Enimaxi

Enimaxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
No need to put the Clockwork recovery anywhere. If you unlock your device using the unlock.zip file, it automatically boots in CW!
After that just flash rom.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

No need to put the Clockwork recovery anywhere. If you unlock your device using the unlock.zip file, it automatically boots in CW!
After that just flash rom.

Cheers Enimaxi

drummer

drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Many thanks for this guide.

I've successively unlocked, installed CWM etc but I now seem to have trouble getting CWM to boot. I've tried the Power + Vol- but I keep getting the FTM screen appear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users