Photo

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

t.reddings

t.reddings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:ZTE V970 Dual SIM
Thanks for these instructions. I have now managed to completely unlock and root the phone. My Vivacity now has so much more space for apps. I miss the CM7 features but am very happy with this version. :D My Tesco sim is chugging away nicely. :P

Amphoras

Amphoras

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Many thanks for this guide.

I've successively unlocked, installed CWM etc but I now seem to have trouble getting CWM to boot. I've tried the Power + Vol- but I keep getting the FTM screen appear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you still see FTM, then that means CWM isn't installed properly. You'll need to try again.

TPT Helper lets you easily repartition your ZTE phone, install a new ROM and for the Blade, convert to/from Gen 2. Available for Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade, Orange Monte Carlo/ZTE Skate and Orange San Francisco II/T-Mobile Vivacity. https://market.andro...horas.tpthelper

TPTs and other apps

Bouncer5

Bouncer5

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Android oh course!
  • Devices:GS2
  • Twitter:@zumodoki

Many thanks for this guide.

I've successively unlocked, installed CWM etc but I now seem to have trouble getting CWM to boot. I've tried the Power + Vol- but I keep getting the FTM screen appear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I believe you flash the stock ROM there for wiping your CMW recovery.

If your flash the recommended ROM You should have been fine.

Posted Image

Hermione01

Hermione01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:osf 2
Many, Many thanks to Bouncer5, a great guy who spent lots of time unlocking and clockworking.With people like this on the forum anything is possable.

Athers99

Athers99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco 2

Hi Bouncer,

I had problems backing up the files part so could not do it.

I did note down my mac address though on some paper. Now realise this backup included the mac address backup too :(

Where can I manually restore this mac address then?

Athers

Bouncer or anyone else - any suggestions I could try to help resolve my issue above please?

Still can't use Wifi and need to get this sorted ASAP .and wrapped up as it's xmas present for my Nephew. So close, yet so far to a fully rooted, working San Fran 2

Phone's useless at the moment without wifi access.

Thanks
Athers

Enimaxi

Enimaxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Nokia N95, ZTE Crescent (SFII)
  • Twitter:@N/A
Did you take a look here: http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/ as I told you in the last reply?
That should solve your problem..

Edit:
Sorry, overlooked the part of the missing Mac address.. I've got no clue!

Edited by Enimaxi, 08 December 2011 - 01:50 AM.

Bouncer5

Bouncer5

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Android oh course!
  • Devices:GS2
  • Twitter:@zumodoki
I belive I can give you a hand with that, Check your PMs

Posted Image

t.reddings

t.reddings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:ZTE V970 Dual SIM

I believe you flash the stock ROM there for wiping your CMW recovery.

If your flash the recommended ROM You should have been fine.

I too have the same issue. I have succesfully flashed and unlocked phone. The phone then showed clockwork MOD from which I put on FLB2a ROM. I've noticed the battery drain is quite high so was going to clear my battery stats (like I did on the old Blade). Now I get the FLM when trying to boot to recovery.

I have tried to resolve, put on ROM Manager and have tried booting to Recovery, that worked but the capacitive buttons didn't work. Have tried upgrading CWM using ROM Manager but the phone choice doesn't show any ZTE phones.

So I'm hoping there is a simple way to install CWM. Any help appreciated.

Edited by t.reddings, 08 December 2011 - 12:37 PM.

ROMZERO

ROMZERO

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Tech and that
  • Devices:Galaxy S2 ICS, Skate
done it!

Edited by ROMZERO, 11 December 2011 - 11:31 PM.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2
Thanks to bouncer5 for this method, done both my phones now, just completed the wifes only problem is no wi fi, made a note of the mac No. Number is now different... .Number now is 11:22:33:44:55:66, originally 34:4B:50:E4:60:7F,

Follwed procedure to check for correct number, ie, Open your hex editor and open the *.qcn file that you saved with QPST<li>Search for "11 22 33 44 55 66" with your hex editor

Just checked with a hex editor in the *.qcn file and 11:22:33:44:55:66 is not in the file, but the correct one 34:4b:50:e4:60:7f is, any advice welcome.....im stuck now, can i go back to QPST and go back to software utility and click restore .qcn file again and restore a second time and hope?.

Cracked it .....checked the *.qcn files with hex editor ( i had 2 for some reason) i had 11:22:33:44:55:66 in one file and the other had the right one, went via QPST and restored the correct one and it fixed it.......

Edited by bryfly, 08 December 2011 - 07:06 PM.

drummer

drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I too have the same issue. I have succesfully flashed and unlocked phone. The phone then showed clockwork MOD from which I put on FLB2a ROM. I've noticed the battery drain is quite high so was going to clear my battery stats (like I did on the old Blade). Now I get the FLM when trying to boot to recovery.

I have tried to resolve, put on ROM Manager and have tried booting to Recovery, that worked but the capacitive buttons didn't work. Have tried upgrading CWM using ROM Manager but the phone choice doesn't show any ZTE phones.

So I'm hoping there is a simple way to install CWM. Any help appreciated.

That's exactly my issue too. I've also tried to install CWM via Fastboot but I keep getting "No device found" message.

The only error I saw during the unlock/root process was when restoring the QCN file. The phone rebooted to CWM ok but the "Software Download utility hung for about a minute with "Trying to connect to device" (or similar) (whilst the phone was still in CWM) then reported "Restore failed". However I have no issues with WiFi so not sure that's an issue. I tried ROM manager to reboot CWM but I just get the blue coloured default recovery menu.

Edited by drummer, 08 December 2011 - 06:04 PM.

dt_matthews

dt_matthews

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Can someone advise - I had flibbesan's rom on my (still locked) vivacity, so I re-flashed the stock rom (and kernel) but cannot get the FTM screen up?

Any help really appreciated :)

ritdaw

ritdaw

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Thanks for the guide. Worked perfectly.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts
"no device found" means fastboot drivers are not installed. With the phone in fastboot mode and connected by usb cable Windows should install the drivers automatically. If this doesn't happen then download and install the drivers from the first post.

If you need to install them manually for some reason:

1. Open up device manager and right click on the device with an exclamation symbol
2. Select Update Driver
3. When asked to search press NO and browse to the folder where you extracted the files. Select next and driver will be installed.
4. Repeat step 3 for the other HSUSB device with exclamation.
5. Reboot into bootloader, rinse and repeat.

craigmc

craigmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Thanks for the great thread,
I modded the original san fran last year but am a little rusty as I have only done it the once and have got stuck at an early stage.
I am having trouble getting QPST to recognise my phone!! I have installed drivers again and still no go!
Can anyone point me in the right direction please, its probably a really easy fix, but i do tend to do things the hard way.

Thanks

Edited by craigmc, 12 December 2011 - 12:09 PM.

drummer

drummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

"no device found" means fastboot drivers are not installed. With the phone in fastboot mode and connected by usb cable Windows should install the drivers automatically. If this doesn't happen then download and install the drivers from the first post.

If you need to install them manually for some reason:

1. Open up device manager and right click on the device with an exclamation symbol
2. Select Update Driver
3. When asked to search press NO and browse to the folder where you extracted the files. Select next and driver will be installed.
4. Repeat step 3 for the other HSUSB device with exclamation.
5. Reboot into bootloader, rinse and repeat.

Thanks but I may need more detailed help as I've checked device manager and no devices show with an exclamation mark.

What's weird is that the hack sequence goes fine, including installing CWM and the custom ROM/kernel (note I don't reboot between wiping data/dalvik cache and rom/kernel as I would lose CWM) but after a reboot CWM just seems to disappear and I'm back to FTW

Edited by drummer, 12 December 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Markski

Markski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Orange SF
Hello,

Great guide but I have a question. Where are these files downloaded to? the sd card or the pc?

Thanks,
Markski

BrideOfTheAtom

BrideOfTheAtom

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Nanotechnology, Hacking, Gaming
  • Devices:T-mobile Vivacity

Hello,

Great guide but I have a question. Where are these files downloaded to? the sd card or the pc?

Thanks,
Markski

All the files should be downloaded to your pc. The only ones you need to put on the phones SD card are the relevant kernel file (sanfran2kernel.zip or vivacitykernel.zip depending on which phone you have) and Crescent.zip. Everything else you should unzip and install as the guide tells you.

Make sure to follow the guide precisely and don't skip any part of it. If you get stuck on a certain part you are better to post a message on here asking for help rather than going ahead to ensure you don't end up with a bricked phone. Also be aware that the install won't necessarily go entirely according to plan, I followed the guide to the letter and I still had issues with having to upgrade clockworkmod recovery via fastboot as the version installed as part of the unlock process didn't include support for the buttons on my phone due to hardware differences. The more you stay true to the guide though the more chance you will have for anyone to help you out.

Good luck :)

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom, 12 December 2011 - 07:40 PM.

Markski

Markski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

All the files should be downloaded to your pc. The only ones you need to put on the phones SD card are the relevant kernel file (sanfran2kernel.zip or vivacitykernel.zip depending on which phone you have) and Crescent.zip. Everything else you should unzip and install as the guide tells you.

Make sure to follow the guide precisely and don't skip any part of it. If you get stuck on a certain part you are better to post a message on here asking for help rather than going ahead to ensure you don't end up with a bricked phone. Also be aware that the install won't necessarily go entirely according to plan, I followed the guide to the letter and I still had issues with having to upgrade clockworkmod recovery via fastboot as the version installed as part of the unlock process didn't include support for the buttons on my phone due to hardware differences. The more you stay true to the guide though the more chance you will have for anyone to help you out.

Good luck :)

Thanks for that. Have installed roms before on a blade but seem to have got stuck at:

Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu<li>Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File

It says could not connect? Have checked under my computer but the drive for the phone is not showing?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

markski

Markski

Markski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Thanks for that. Have installed roms before on a blade but seem to have got stuck at:

Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu<li>Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File

It says could not connect? Have checked under my computer but the drive for the phone is not showing?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

markski

When I switch phone on I gat a dark screen with CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 at top with options in brown underneath, reboot,apply sd card,wipe cache part,install zip,backup,mounts & advanced.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks,

markski

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users