Photo

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

Ay Kay

Ay Kay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco II

If you follow any steps mentioned in this thread, the flashing process roots your phone. So there is no just unlock process.

One has to follow Section 3 described by Bouncer5 irrespective of whether they want stock T-Mob or Orange firmware or plain vanilla version of Android 2.3.5

If you pick up and use just these for section 3:
For San Francisco 2 ONLY sanfran2kernel.zip (3.45 MB)
For T-Mobile Vivacity ONLY vivacitykernel.zip (3.45 MB)
then you will get the plain vanilla version of Android 2.3.5

If you pick up and use just these for section 3:
Latest Orange SFII Update (128 MB)
Lastest T-Mobile Vivacity Update (119 MB)
then you will get the branded version back minus the network lock.

This is my understanding from the 2 TMV phones which I unlocked and unbranded. I would let one of the mods to confirm on my post though and correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Arvind,

I have an OSF2 which is network unlocked (Giffgaff all the way!!!!)

However, if you flash this

Latest Orange SFII Update (128 MB)

you get an UNLOCKED phone minus the root. I can confirm that from my unlocking experience on the OSF2 as I'm currently running a giffgaff sim on the Orange firmware (filled to the brim with bloatware)

It also wipes away the CWM and gets the phone back to FTM. So well, anyone had luck getting root on the branded rom?

ozskin

ozskin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:na
Great Guide Thanks, am I now brave enough to try?

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Solved 3. but please look below i have a query which needs an answer please ;)

Edited by confusedperson, 21 December 2011 - 08:39 PM.

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
mine does
not go into FTM mode? what to do?
all i get is the options to switch it to airplane mode/power off..

SOLVED

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Confused: it's when you turn it on that it goes into FTM mode & not when you turn it off :)

Posted Image

R2K

R2K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

mine does not go into FTM mode? what to do?

all i get is the options to switch it to airplane mode/power off..

I hope you have not used the correct file, even I had a same problem when I did first time. I was trying all the methods to go to FTM. but it did not help. But when I used the correct file, I got into FTM in first try itself. do not get panic... follow the steps from ztecrescent.blogspot.com site. It has correct file and easy step by step guide.

-- R2K4Net

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Solved 2. but please look below i have a query which needs an answer please ;)

R2K

R2K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

i got it to go into FTM Mode but only when I didnt have it plugged to the computer.

shall i let it go into FTM Mode first and then connect it to the computer?

Have you not read the Full steps ? refer the site ztecrescent.blogspot.com -- Yes you need to go to FTM Mode first and then connect it to the computer.
-- R2K4Net

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Solved 1. but please look below i have a query which needs an answer please ;)

Edited by confusedperson, 21 December 2011 - 08:38 PM.

R2K

R2K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

i downloaded the QPST. thing
i extracted it via 7zip

but when i set it up i got this error

Module.....failed to register.
contact your personnel

Can you try with WinRaR ? ... I have installed this application on both windows XP and 7, It is working fine. It should work. - R2K4NeT

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Solved. but please look below i have a query which needs an answer please ;)

Edited by confusedperson, 21 December 2011 - 08:38 PM.

nswan

nswan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just followed through the instructions at http://ztecrescent.b...-unlocking.html

All ok up to step 19 when I restored qcn file. The file started to upload but then just at it was about to finish the phone (which was in FTM mode) rebooted. QPST is sitting there saying "trying to communicate with phone" but has 100% progress bar. The phone after its reboot is sitting at the CWM based recovery screen and just reboots back to the same screen when I select reboot.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I was being a fool. Sorted now.

Edited by nswan, 19 December 2011 - 10:31 PM.

Hermione01

Hermione01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:osf 2
Hi i reloaded an anther rom on to the phone and now ive lost Clockwork mod any ideas how to reinstall it

jckm2000

jckm2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:t-mobile vivacity
Hi Folks,

I'm new here so please bear with me! Trying to unlock my girlfriends Vivacity, I'm trying to 'add port' in QPST but when I click 'Add' I'm getting the error: There was an error enabling. The port may not be working properly or may be busy. (-2147467259 [0x80004005]).

I've booted into FTM.

In 'Add New Port I see 'COM3 - Serial' I've left 'Port' and 'Port Label' blank, should I enter something in these and if so what?

'Active Phones' = 0

What have I done wrong?

Cheers,

C

Edited by jckm2000, 20 December 2011 - 03:57 PM.

kwj87

kwj87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Folks,

I'm new here so please bear with me! Trying to unlock my girlfriends Vivacity, I'm trying to 'add port' in QPST but when I click 'Add' I'm getting the error: There was an error enabling. The port may not be working properly or may be busy. (-2147467259 [0x80004005]).

I've booted into FTM.

In 'Add New Port I see 'COM3 - Serial' I've left 'Port' and 'Port Label' blank, should I enter something in these and if so what?

'Active Phones' = 0

What have I done wrong?

Cheers,

C

Hi jckm2000,

I'm just trying to do the same thing as you for my girlfriend and Dad's Vivacity's. I've very minor experience of rooting with my HTC Desire, so thought I'd give it a go with these as well!

Like you, I was only able to see COM3 and not COM5. In order to get COM5 to appear, I turned the phone back on as normal and connected it via USB to my computer. I let all the relevant drivers install and an Autorun Driver exe also popped up, which I ran. After doing this and then putting the phone into FTM and running QPST I could then see COM5 - USB/QC Diagnostic.

Hope this helps, it seemed to work for me. I am no expert in these kind of things by the way!

kwj87

Stu T

Stu T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Bouncer5,

After reading your post and many others I also found this http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/
He's packaged all the utils into a freindly zip with batch files. But I got problems following his tutorial for the de-branded ROM (stuck on ANDROID screen!)
I put stock ROM but didn't like the Oranginess, so I used step 3 of your guide with Flibblesan's ROM.
After re-reading your guide and his, they are practically the same, and in hindsight I should've followed yours !

Many thanks again - my OSF2 is unlocked and de-branded.

bigupajc

bigupajc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

I bought 2 TMob Vivacity phones and after lots of hesitation undertook the unlock and debrand steps provided by Bouncer5 in this thread.

In the process of unlocking my 2 phones (successfully), I was tracking my various steps in the attached document and thought of sharing it with all the members.

All credit goes to Bouncer5 without a doubt. Hope my document helps some hesitant newbie!!!

cheers
Arvind

Many Many thanks to Arvind for the perfect unlocking guide.

Followed it without any problems to unlock my my vivacity. Thank you so much.

All future unlock guides should follow your example, making it perfectly clear and simple for users who have no experience of this to follow without hassle. Top Man!

confusedperson

confusedperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have successfuly unlocked my phone however when I rebooted it on this message appeared CWM- based recovery v4.0.1.5

What is Clockwork?
If I do this Clockwork will i need to keep updating?

is this the method i use?
Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery Via ADB said:
Boot up phone
  • Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
I cant even do the above because ive just got the CMR based ... popup so i cant even acess the actual phone as of yet (after unlocking it)
Install Drivers.
  • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
  • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
  • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
  • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

Edited by confusedperson, 21 December 2011 - 08:34 PM.

jckm2000

jckm2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:t-mobile vivacity
Thanks for the reply, Ok got the USB/QC diagnostic port on port 8,

Backup is stuck at:

File: 99%

Total Progress 0

The file shows 218 kb

Can I close 'Software Download'?

Edited by jckm2000, 21 December 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Thomas J Marshall

Thomas J Marshall

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent
Still haven't attempted to unlock my SF2 yet, just a few points that I'm not sure of...

Unlocking Your Phone said:

• Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging) {Should the sim card that came with the phone be in at this point?}
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow) {Why does Arvind's guide say disconnect the battery at this point?}

Thomas J Marshall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users