U8800 2.3 Official Update from Huawei

Guest demolition23

Guest Fozzedout

We should be happy to receive a "bug-free" official 2.3 B)

Meanwhile:

USB Tethering "works" on the 2.3 beta ROM.

Good news - thanks for that!

I've been getting a little sick of my MIUI version when it permanently loses connection (requiring a reboot). But on the flipside, the USB tethering works a treat on it.

Right, tonight, I'm going to have a go at installing this.

Nervous? Me? I think I'm going to have to be prepared to get a new phone....

Guest Fozzedout

All done and dusted - and it's working.

For those who are running a modded version these are the steps that I took going from stockwells MIUI. Of course, your mileage may vary.

1. Restore to default partition size.

2. Boot and make sure it still works

3. Power off, and then Power on with Vol + & - pressed to get to the Pink Screen.

4. Replace the recovery.img & boot.img with the ORIGINALS.

5. Booting now will just get you the Huawei boot logo and no further.

6. Power off (battery removal), remove SD Card from phone, and connect sd card to the computer

7. Copy the U8800 V100R001C00B136 (Overseas General version) dload folder into the root of the sd card. It should contain UPDATE.APP and UPDATE_CUST.APP.

8. Put the SD Card back in the phone, and then Power on with Vol + & - pressed to start the original firmware update. Wait till it's done and powers off.

9. Switch it back on to let it finish the firmware update. (You should end up at the "touch the android to continue" screen)

10. Power off, and remove SD Card from phone, and connect to the computer

11. Delete the dload folder from the SD card.

12. Copy the dload folder from the new 2.3.5 zip to the root of the SD Card. (in my case, the zip was called U8800V100R001C00B518G001(Beta1.0)(Overseas Normal)(Gingerbread).zip)

13. Put the SD Card back in, and then Power on with Vol + & - pressed to start the firmware update. Wait till it's done and powers off.

14. Switch it back on to let it finish the firmware update. (You should end up at the "touch the android to continue" screen)

All done :)

Edited by Fozzedout

Guest aylanc3

All done and dusted - and it's working.

Happy that you didn't need a new Phone :rolleyes:

I think my only fault was not to restore to default partition.

After installing your Apps, try to power off (remove battery) and power on again. If your phone boots up normally, then you're done. (I will appreciate if you can tell me the result)

(I guess, that the Power off function at GB works like a hibernation, not a real power off. That's why the boot down-and up time is so short.)

Guest Fozzedout

Yup, it's all working - though I had to check out the speed for switching on. I think that is one of the things they have changed - it takes about 4-5 seconds with you pressing down the power button for anything to kick in on a cold boot.

So long in fact I thought I'd buggered the device.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tendeiro

Huawei Device

We’re pleased to announce that the enhanced version of the U8800 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade is now available from our website. Please note that this upgrade is for phones using the official ROM. Those using an unofficial ROM are likely to incur problems with their device, which may void their product warranty under the terms and conditions.

:D

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDM2NDk%3D

Guest That-Guy

Huawei Device

We’re pleased to announce that the enhanced version of the U8800 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade is now available from our website. Please note that this upgrade is for phones using the official ROM. Those using an unofficial ROM are likely to incur problems with their device, which may void their product warranty under the terms and conditions.

:D

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDM2NDk%3D

Anyone tried this yet?

Want a bit of feedback before trying myself :lol:

Guest ElectricMdK

Hi All,

Very new here (this is my first post) but I used the great tutorial on rooting and flashing my X5 and that went perfectly.

Now Gingerbread is available and although I have been checking serveral forums I can't seem to find the right answer to my two questions.

1. Do I need this firmware update? And if so, is there a custom ROM available?
  2. Do I have to unroot my device and place the boot.img en recovery.img back before upgrading.

@That-Guy. Great tutorial but you seem to have 2.3.7 on your phone (Gingerbread?) but I'm still on 2.2.2. with FLB. Do I get a better performance or at lease lesser battery drain?

Thanks for any reply..

Guest Rajeev120789

Hi,

My phone was re-partitioned (1,46 Gb internal SD+ 1,01 Gb Memory)

I forgot that I had repartitioned my phone AND I had Clockwork Recovery installed :)

I symply made the update, with PROBLEMS- cause my SD card broke while updating the second part.(What else could go wrong???) Without the second part, the phone restarted itself a few times and made a wipe and voila- now using Gingerbread 2.3.5.

I still have 1,46 Gb internal SD and 1,01 Gb Memory !

Meanwhile NO Clockwork and NO Root. Tried to root with Z4Root but No success...

AND my boot time is much longer and boot animation is not the same as shown in the Video !!!

Regrds,

edit:

Ok I found a place in the menu to install an upgrade from sd card. I copied the second part (dload folder) to my new sd card and pointed to this menu item. The phone rebooted and made the update. WOW: startup animation as in the Video; Very huge changes - which I did't expect cause the update file was only 1kb small. Some changes after the second update file: WPS connectivity not available, "Beyond the sky" launcher theme, file explorer now available, calculator now available, alarm function now available, weather and time widget added, App installer added, Documents to go added.

Power off and startup time as in video, but I noticed that the phone doesn't really turn off- when powered down I removed the battery and the startup time increased as it was with froyo !!!

These are main features I could see at first sight....

Bu The second and worst feature is: After installing some apps making all my changes and phonebook entries everything seemed to work fine. untill my battery got low, then the phone turned itself off. After connecting to it's charger I was not able to see my launcher screen :( The phone stuck in a continous boot loop. I had to perform factory reset. This happened 3 times :( Now I am thinking of returning to FROYO 2.2 :(

Any thoughts about what may cause this boot-loop ?

Maybe an application or the fact that my phone rom is partitioned???

the problem u r facing is because u partitioned ur ROM to 1 gb..... there is an official partition zip available .... search for it as i don't have the link,... this will restore ur u8800 to original partition size.... now install the GINGERBREAD and no problems ......

i did it myself and now my phone is awesome..... there is no fault in gingerbread at all

Guest That-Guy

the problem u r facing is because u partitioned ur ROM to 1 gb..... there is an official partition zip available .... search for it as i don't have the link,... this will restore ur u8800 to original partition size.... now install the GINGERBREAD and no problems ......

i did it myself and now my phone is awesome..... there is no fault in gingerbread at all

I restored the original partition but my phone still bricked :lol:

I was lucky enough to get it replaced under warranty though :)

Guest aylanc3

Many thanks to Fozzedout and Rajeev120789.

When I partitioned my phone I also downloaded the zip file to return to the official partition. Yesterday I reverted to the original partition. (not to forget that I spent the last week of the year, using old FROYO)

There werde no problems updating to Gingerbread; I tried restarting the phone several times and seems to be ok...... <_<

Should I think of partition my ROM to 1Gb again ??? :rolleyes:

Guest Banner

OK I seem to have a working ROM except I have no mobile service - found that this was due to my IMEI being set to bloody 0!!!

How the hell do I get this back? I've written my IMEI down from the back of the phone.

help?

Hi all,

I upgraded and it works fine/excellent, the only bit I cannot do I replace my recovery.img.. when I Power off, and then Power on with Vol + & - press to get to the Pink Screen my Vista machine asks for the qualcomm driver but I cannt find this anywhere.. even the ones on the phone/huawei website don't get recognised..

reason why I try to do this is to get a overclocked kernel onto it, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391494 .. but why can't I get the drivers!!

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Guest That-Guy

Many thanks to Fozzedout and Rajeev120789.

When I partitioned my phone I also downloaded the zip file to return to the official partition. Yesterday I reverted to the original partition. (not to forget that I spent the last week of the year, using old FROYO)

There werde no problems updating to Gingerbread; I tried restarting the phone several times and seems to be ok...... <_<

Should I think of partition my ROM to 1Gb again ??? :rolleyes:

I would leave it how it is otherwise you may run into problems if you receive OTA (Over-the-Air) Update :)

OK I seem to have a working ROM except I have no mobile service - found that this was due to my IMEI being set to bloody 0!!!

How the hell do I get this back? I've written my IMEI down from the back of the phone.

help?

Return to supplier for warranty repair / replacement.

Did you re-partition your phone? This seems to be the cause of the IMEI=0 Problem.

Hi all,

I upgraded and it works fine/excellent, the only bit I cannot do I replace my recovery.img.. when I Power off, and then Power on with Vol + & - press to get to the Pink Screen my Vista machine asks for the qualcomm driver but I cannt find this anywhere.. even the ones on the phone/huawei website don't get recognised..

reason why I try to do this is to get a overclocked kernel onto it, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391494 .. but why can't I get the drivers!!

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Follow THIS GUIDE to ROOT and Install ClockworkMod :)

I did, my phone is rooted, when I try to replace the recovery.img it fails , says "sorry, operation failed".. changing permissions failed! Should I run the root thing again?

Guest That-Guy

I did, my phone is rooted, when I try to replace the recovery.img it fails , says "sorry, operation failed".. changing permissions failed! Should I run the root thing again?

Try Root Explorer instead of ES File Explorer worked for me :)

Edited by That-Guy

Try Root Explorer instead of ES File Explorer worked for me :)

Hmm, ok Root Explorer, I need to pay for that.. I'll try some other file managers first. Any ideas why it has to be root explorer?

also tried some solution on "Solved the "problem"! First download and install SuperUser from the marktet!! Before using SuperOneClick! " but that did not help either.. hmm, kind of weird. Any further help would be appreciated, what else can I try?

maybe use adb shell to change permissions?

Edited by khos

Guest auberwn

Hmm, ok Root Explorer, I need to pay for that.. I'll try some other file managers first. Any ideas why it has to be root explorer?

also tried some solution on http://android.modac...m-official-235/ "Solved the "problem"! First download and install SuperUser from the marktet!! Before using SuperOneClick! " but that did not help either.. hmm, kind of weird. Any further help would be appreciated, what else can I try?

maybe use adb shell to change permissions?

I had the same problem with ES File Explorer. I had to remount the .cust_backup folder as writeable using the Remount (Stephen Stericson) app. Then ES File Explorer was able to ovewrite the file.

Now if only I could find out how to overclock the CPU...

Guest Banner

Return to supplier for warranty repair / replacement.

Did you re-partition your phone? This seems to be the cause of the IMEI=0 Problem.

Yeah i had re-partitioned when I first got it, but i did return it to original partition before I ran the upgrade, ah well CPW have it now.

though it wasnt very reassuring when the guy didnt understand why I was bothered that my IMEI had been reset as he had no idea what it was for!!!!!

Honestly dont these people have any interest in what it is they're selling?

Guest That-Guy

Yeah i had re-partitioned when I first got it, but i did return it to original partition before I ran the upgrade, ah well CPW have it now.

though it wasnt very reassuring when the guy didnt understand why I was bothered that my IMEI had been reset as he had no idea what it was for!!!!!

Honestly dont these people have any interest in what it is they're selling?

Sounds like a typical Robot in these types of shops :D

Guest Tendeiro

Can anyone explain something to me? I haven't done the upgrade, I'm still on 2.2.2. I intend to do the 2.3 official upgrade so:

--> How can I downgrade to official 2.2.2? I haven't found anything at all about this, although I read all the time about people doing downgrades.

I wanted to know every step first if I need to backup something prior to the upgrade.

Guest That-Guy

Can anyone explain something to me? I haven't done the upgrade, I'm still on 2.2.2. I intend to do the 2.3 official upgrade so:

--> How can I downgrade to official 2.2.2? I haven't found anything at all about this, although I read all the time about people doing downgrades.

I wanted to know every step first if I need to backup something prior to the upgrade.

Downgrade instructions are here:

This is the only post you will need for Official 2.3 :)

Guest That-Guy

Well the mighty CPW couldnt fix the reset imei, im expecting a Galaxy S as a replacement. Not bad, but ill miss my u8800.

Very nice indeed! Wish they replaced mine with the Galaxy S rather than sending me another U8800.

The Galaxy S seems to have allot of ICS ROMS out already. THIS ONE caught my eye as everything seems to be working well. There will be no official ICS from Samsung for the Galaxy S so this ROM seems the next best thing :)

Enjoy your new phone!

• 4 weeks later...