OSF2/TMV Rom wishlist

Guest admanirv

Guest admanirv

Thought I'd create a thread on a wishlist for a TMV/OSF2 rom.

1. Quick settings in pull down/notifications window e.g wifi, bluetooth etc etc.

2. Support 480p recording in camcorder.

3. Improve camera.

4. Overclockable CPU/kernel

5. Optimise storage

6. Various speed optimisations.

Any other 'resonable' ideas anyone?

p.s Seb and flibble, I am a software engineer but moved to industrial computer/control systems a long time ago. I have experience of j2me (wrote several apps) and would be willing to help, it also helps me get back into things. I lack current knowledge and would be rusty but would be more than happy to spend a few hours a week helping with things?.

Cheers

Edited by admanirv

Guest Bouncer5

Why would anyone want the pull down notification settings? I avoided all Samsung devices due to it, Cyanogen started it and I turn it off, and now HTC decided to add it, I can see its handy, But HTC do the best implementations of it I believe.

I read somewhere that the chipset supports 720p, Probally read that out of context but im happy too get your hopes up :D

Device is already overclockable

Storage is a pain in the arse, But I think we can can fill the missing storage with used apps like maps and facebook? google+ then your out of free space in the system partition!

Guest Russ_uk

An improved (TMV) keyboard might be a good idea from the few reviews I've seen written.

I've heard that the TMV screen is more laggy than the SFII ? Can anyone confirm/deny this ?

I too have got a certain amount of programming experience (learnt some Java etc at uni as part of my degree) so when i get my TMV/OSF2 - should be in the next 10 days - I'll gladly help out on the development of a custom ROM, I'm sure between us all we can come up with something quite special :)

Edited by Russ_uk

Guest snowbord

I'd say the list is ideal. Repartitioning the internal storage is a priority, quick settings CM7 style - yes, love this. Improve camera and overclocking - absolutely agree. Circle battery mod would be a great much appreciated bonus!

Optimising internal storage should be top of the list at this time.  Not sure if something can be done with this at this time;

http://android.modaco.com/topic/337426-gen1gen2partition-layout-tool-windows-only/ 

Edited by snowbord

Guest Bouncer5

In terms of the screens being different, I believe they are the same screens as the Blade which are made by two different companys, One of which is only 45FPS with the other is the standard 60 FPS

Guest Simon O

In terms of the screens being different, I believe they are the same screens as the Blade which are made by two different companys, One of which is only 45FPS with the other is the standard 60 FPS

Same screen specs, different manufacturers. The issue is the vivacity using the inferior slow atmel touch controller :(. The sanfran2 uses synaptics which is faster.

A custom kernel may improve things but we need the correct code first.

Guest Simon O

1. Quick settings in pull down/notifications window e.g wifi, bluetooth etc etc.

3. Improve camera.

5. Optimise storage

1) - Could be done but we'll have CM7 soon which has that in

2) - Job for CM7. Would need kernel tweaks and some adjustments to the camera libs

3) as above

4) - we need the correct kernel code from ZTE

5) - could do with a repartition method

6) - Working on some

Interesting fact. The 5MP camera chip supports 720P video recording. Of course it probably needs a better CPU to keep up, but we should be able to get 480P easily.

Guest Russ_uk

Interesting, think I'll start a new thread to see if i can get a few answers to some small differences between the TMV & SFII that are starting to appear.

Guest Russ_uk

Same screen specs, different manufacturers. The issue is the vivacity using the inferior slow atmel touch controller :(. The sanfran2 uses synaptics which is faster.

A custom kernel may improve things but we need the correct code first.

That's looks like the issue indeed! thanks for the info :)

Any idea if these display colours are correct:

TMV = 16million

SFII = 262k ?

Guest Simon O

TMV = 16million

SFII = 262k ?

The Vivacity is definitely not 16m colours. it has colour banding so it's most likely the same as the sanfran2, 262k

Guest Russ_uk

The Vivacity is definitely not 16m colours. it has colour banding so it's most likely the same as the sanfran2, 262k

I thought as much. Being such new devices there so little concrete information out there.

Many thanks!! :)

Edited by Russ_uk

Guest Bouncer5

I'd say the list is ideal. Repartitioning the internal storage is a priority, quick settings CM7 style - yes, love this. Improve camera and overclocking - absolutely agree. Circle battery mod would be a great much appreciated bonus!

Optimising internal storage should be top of the list at this time. Not sure if something can be done with this at this time;

http://android.modac...-windows-only/

There was a tool called CustomMTD that may be of use to us, What you linked to seems better, Talk to Flibbensan he works wonders with these devices.

Guest h4gster

3. Improve camera.

5. Optimise storage

Any other 'resonable' ideas anyone?

p.s Seb and flibble, I am a software engineer but moved to industrial computer/control systems a long time ago. I have experience of j2me (wrote several apps) and would be willing to help, it also helps me get back into things. I lack current knowledge and would be rusty but would be more than happy to spend a few hours a week helping with things?.

Cheers

Optimise storage is the priority for me.

TMV = 16million

SFII = 262k ?

I've been doing some research on the internal components for the ZTE Blade/OSF, since I suspect the hardware of TMV or OSF2 is very similar to the former, I think I can share my findings though I don't have a TMV or OSF2. Via ZTE emodehelper I found out that my Blade is using a Truly LCD module + IC driver HX8369. I've seen very detailed spec documents for this Truly LCD module, but I think I'm not allowed to link those docs here. Apparently this module is capable to show 16.7M color (24bit color depth) but I'm not confident of my own eyes to distinguish 262K (18 bit color depth) from 16.7M (24 bit) color images, 16 bit color depth images I can say for 100% that they are 16 bit.

Okay that being said, Android is handling lots of things very strange, look at this link http://www.curious-c...-and-dithering/ According to this link Gingerbread is rendering things in 32 bit color, while Froyo was limited to 16 bit, you can even download an app to do some testing on your own.

Android is using lots of 16 bit color rendering, where you can see bandings clearly:

- in CM7 or any launcher that enables 16 bit transition effect -> widgets with dark background you can see bandings, very apparent when you slide between homescreens slowly.

- stock gallery is rendering photos in 16 bit (download this image to your phone http://www.lagom.nl/.../gradient-h.png , picture is 32 bit color depth gradient looks smooth on my PC, in phone browser also looks smooth but not in stock gallery -> conclusion stock gallery is definitely using 16 bit rendering.

- When you set a wallpaper from stock gallery, which render every image in 16 bit color, this new set wallpaper inherit the 16 bit color. If you don't want to see wallpaper with ugly bandings set your wallpaper with this app https://market.andro...papersetandsave

- in phone browser when you scroll up or down in a big image, you can see the image lowers to 16 bit, results in bandings.

I know using 16 bit improves performance/speed, just want to point out things, most of these things might actually already be fixed with h/w accelerated ICS.

Guest Amphoras

5. Optimise storage

This may work to increase the amount of internal storage. The files seem different for the Vivacity and SF2, so only use this on the SF2.

I don't have either of these phones, so I can't test whether or not it works, it might brick your phone. If you want to try it, make sure you check the md5sums.

It will wipe your data, and remove your rom, so make a backup before using. It should boot into Sebs Clockwork recovery after it finishes. Afterwards you should have 160MB system, 15MB cache and 265MB data. I also changed the boot and recovery partition sizes from 4MB and 6MB to 5MB each. To return to the stock partition layout, go to the stock rom thread and use the SF2 image.bin from there.

To flash it, unzip it to the root of your sdcard, you should end up with a folder called image, with the image.bin file inside it. Check the md5sum of the image.bin file matches the one in the nandroid.md5 file. Then you can either flash it manually (probably hold vol+ and menu while powering on) or go into the settings menu to system updates and start it from there.

Again, this is untested. Use it at your own risk, it might brick your phone. Check the md5sums, if they don't match, don't flash it.

http://bit.ly/sYHvq2

MD5sum: 61e6387622ce1fbd1b128702d49a2c92

Edited by Amphoras

Guest snowbord

Great work Amphoras! Not tested yet as I am still waiting for both the OSF2 and TMV to arrive lol!

Any chance of doing TPTs with 160mb system, 300mb internal, no cache (2mb)? Pretty much like wbaw's TPTs?

Edited by snowbord

Guest Amphoras

Great work Amphoras! Not tested yet as I am still waiting for both the OSF2 and TMV to arrive lol!

Any chance of doing TPTs with 160mb system, 300mb internal, no cache (2mb)? Pretty much like wbaw's TPTs?

Here's one for the Vivacity with the same sizes as above.

http://bit.ly/sh1gWO

MD5sum: 757b3845f61ceb2ca25f08797c7721a9

And here's some with 160MB system, 2MB cache, 278MB data. If you use these ones then you won't be able to download anything from the market unless your rom redirects cache to somewhere else.

SF2: http://bit.ly/sFRQ55

MD5sum: 08219ff0cb2754faa921a65cc3b7b7b6

Vivacity: http://bit.ly/uTp8gK

MD5sum: 9f662cd54a8fcfafc7c1642227350a36

As before, they're untested so use at your own risk, and check the md5sums.

Edited by Amphoras