Unlocking/rooting SFII using mac not PC?

Guest cheerfulvicky

Guest cheerfulvicky

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newbie and bought a nice new SFII not long ago. Finding the bloatware really really annoying (I only have 45mb of space left on the phone!) plus I'd like to be able to unlock it without waiting 3 months as Orange demand.

I've read the step by step guides to rooting/unlocking and to be honest most of it goes over my head, but I think with enough careful reading I could probably manage to follow all the steps. Would very much like a dummies guide to the SFII like the TMV one that was posted earlier though :) My question is, do I need to use a PC to do the unlock, as I have a mac and no immediate access to a PC? From what I understand the instructions require a PC and I'm not sure if this is essential or just assumed as the computer of choice?

Has anyone managed to unlock this phone using a mac instead of a PC? Thanks.

Guest sej7278

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newbie and bought a nice new SFII not long ago. Finding the bloatware really really annoying (I only have 45mb of space left on the phone!) plus I'd like to be able to unlock it without waiting 3 months as Orange demand.

I've read the step by step guides to rooting/unlocking and to be honest most of it goes over my head, but I think with enough careful reading I could probably manage to follow all the steps. Would very much like a dummies guide to the SFII like the TMV one that was posted earlier though :) My question is, do I need to use a PC to do the unlock, as I have a mac and no immediate access to a PC? From what I understand the instructions require a PC and I'm not sure if this is essential or just assumed as the computer of choice?

Has anyone managed to unlock this phone using a mac instead of a PC? Thanks.

i was thinking the same about linux, i think someone has done it in virtualbox, but that still requires a copy of windows.

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

i was thinking the same about linux, i think someone has done it in virtualbox, but that still requires a copy of windows.

The unlock program is a windows executable so you must have a windows machine to perform that step. Once that is done you can use a mac / linux machine to do the fastboot and adb stuff. I myself had trouble with the fastboot drivers in windows so I flashed the latest version of clockworkmod recovery using a mac.

Guest unrandomsam

Only way I can think of is writing another app from scratch. (Using something like the vmware usb logging thing to try to work out what the zte flasher is doing.)

Even just working out how to load armprgZTE.bin to enable secure mode would help.

Don't think it will be too complicated (The Linux motorola sbf flasher is a good example of how to do it right).

Its not just going to magically happen though (Don't think QPST even has a mac version).