Problems with my SD card...

Guest dibbles

Guest dibbles

Hi

Could anyone help me out as I might have stuffed up my 16GB microSD card.

I was running the Elitemovil ROM and was going to give the Atomic one a try but felt that I no longer needed the 16gb card in my phone. I took it out of the phone whilst switched off (first mistake) and popped it in a card reader to copy off the contents. It had been formatted with a 1GB EXT 3 partition and a 256mb cache the rest was data. However even the phone will no longer read the card and Windows will only see it as 1gb which it refuses to format etc. I'm not sure how to recover the full 16gb of the card.

I'm not too bothered about the contents it is more of getting the full card to be accessible and working.

Any ideas please..?

Edited by dibbles

Guest Skate Away

Presumably you've tried formatting it in windows ?

Put it in the card reader and try doing a full format - not a quick format.

I'd guess it should be FAT not FAT 32, depending on your version of windows there might be something like 'restore card default' (iirc).

You could try formatting it from a linux machine or even from DOS.

Otherwise there are recovery tools you could try, if nothing else works.

Guest dibbles

I am, big guess here, thinking that I might have to resort to a Linux live CD and see what that can do as EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition for Windows or Windows itself can only see it as a 1GB card and even then it can't format it.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Skate Away

I am, big guess here, thinking that I might have to resort to a Linux live CD and see what that can do as EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition for Windows or Windows itself can only see it as a 1GB card and even then it can't format it.

I think (iirc) I've rescued cards with partition magic - but it was a while ago.

One program I had didn't register removable media, the other did - can't remember what it was though, unless it was partition magic....

Have you tried the windows disk tools ?

There are some proper disk management tools buried in windows somewhere....

Guest dibbles

Thanks for your advice but it looks to be duffed :(

I have tried the mini partition wizard and even tried to rebuild the mbr but alas I have got no where with it.

Guest dibbles

Thanks for your efforts and help, it is most appreciated.

I managed to find two useful tools but both report that the card is faulty.

Thankfully I have printed off a returns label from the company I bought it from and so I have now packaged it up for a return and hopefully a replacement.

Thanks again for your help :)