Monte Carlo 2012 where are we going?

Guest FatLadZ

Guest FatLadZ

Where do you think the Monte Carlo is heading in 2012?

I know i'd love to see the camera flash turned into a torch but what mod would you like to see?

what about Icecraem Sandwich? im sure it is only a matter of time until we see this fully working on the Monte Carlo!

Guest PedroVader

ICS is nearly there, loving it, camera seems to be a common bug, just a matter of time.

Hoping we can get cache redirected, so I can put the TPT on for maximum space.

Really not fussed about a torch, in the end it's a just phone, not that mine rings all that often, its more of an app filled Gadget!!

Sent from my ZTE-Skate using Tapatalk

Guest Skate Away

ICS is nearly there, loving it, camera seems to be a common bug, just a matter of time.........Really not fussed about a torch, in the end it's a just phone, not that mine rings all that often, its more of an app filled Gadget!!

My thoughts exactly, I'd like ICS and will try it as soon as it has enough functionality (for me).

Using the LED as a torch is just a waste of time, while LEDs are a lot more efficient than bulbs they still draw power and worse, generate heat.

A LED that is selected for use as a flash is not necessarily the best choice to use as a torch.

Your battery runtime will be shorter, your LED lifespan will definitely be shorter (and it could even fail prematurely) and on top of that there will be a lot more heat inside the casing - a lose, lose, lose situation.

Just buy a keyring torch, it'll be easier to find, easier to use, your phone will have charge when you want it - and - I can guarantee if I needed a torch in an emergency, it would dark (obviously) and raining - would you use your phone ??

Mine is also an app filled gadget smile.gif - it doesn't ring that much (poor signal at home) so it's just as well it's app filled as it wouldn't get any use otherwise....

Seasonal stuff to everyone !!

Guest TouchyAndalou

My thoughts exactly, I'd like ICS and will try it as soon as it has enough functionality (for me).

Using the LED as a torch is just a waste of time, while LEDs are a lot more efficient than bulbs they still draw power and worse, generate heat.

A LED that is selected for use as a flash is not necessarily the best choice to use as a torch.

Your battery runtime will be shorter, your LED lifespan will definitely be shorter (and it could even fail prematurely) and on top of that there will be a lot more heat inside the casing - a lose, lose, lose situation.

Just buy a keyring torch, it'll be easier to find, easier to use, your phone will have charge when you want it - and - I can guarantee if I needed a torch in an emergency, it would dark (obviously) and raining - would you use your phone ??

Mine is also an app filled gadget smile.gif - it doesn't ring that much (poor signal at home) so it's just as well it's app filled as it wouldn't get any use otherwise....

Seasonal stuff to everyone !!

I'd definitely like to be able to use the LED as a torch. It is, after all, not something you're likely to be using often, meaning fears about killing your flash prematuraly are likely unfounded for most users. And even if it's something that you only ever need once, then it's worth having.

But more so than that, it'd be great to be able to use the flash as a camera light for filming in low light conditions. The video camera isn't very good when filming at night, as I'm sure anybody who has tried has realised. A camera light could potentially be a great addition.

Guest TouchyAndalou

The main thing I'm hoping for for the Skate in 2012 is better video camera performance. I don't have a dedicated video camera, and even if I did, it's certainly not something I'd carry around on a regular basis. It'd be cool to be able to get improved quality from this camera, even if it is only 800x480 recording.

Guest Skate Away

fears about killing your flash prematuraly are likely unfounded for most users. And even if it's something that you only ever need once, then it's worth having.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, a LED suitable for flash use isn't suitable for 'always on' use.

The live expectancy of a modern LED is directly related to 2 things - how hard it is driven and the temperature it reaches.

For flash use, the LED's temperature won't be overly high and with luck the junction will last as long as you have the phone.

For constant use the LED would require heatsinking and airflow - not something you get inside a sealed plastic case - a few minutes use could very dramatically shorten the LEDs life, damage it affecting the light output or just destroy it (I've done all of these things).

I agree that even if you only need it once it could be worth having (my HTC Wildfire has it) however, I don't think it's something we should be encouraging developers to bother with - especially when nearly any other avenue would yield more useful results....

smile.gif

Guest dadashi

....video recording at 800x480 or more specialy in cm7 or cm9 would be my wish, and if the flash lit during recording it would be a big plus....

Flashlight from LED isn't a big thing, I'd never use it....turn on the screen in pitch black and it lights up a whole room easily...

Also what we haven't taken into consideration is the life expectancy and build quality of the skate....how long will the buttons last...how long will the screen hold out....will the cpu die ... will the usb port and headphone socket last years...original bettery life.....?!

....we'll only know after another year or so...if we push it beyond it's bounderies, over volting the flash to use as a bright light, we might have nasty surprises....

Guest Skate Away

Also what we haven't taken into consideration is the life expectancy and build quality of the skate....how long will the buttons last...how long will the screen hold out....will the cpu die ... will the usb port and headphone socket last years...original bettery life.....?!

You could make a phone with incredible build quality that would last decades, sadly it would still be in landfill a year or two later...

Guest Atomix86

What's that ?

A port of HTC's user interface for their Android phones. It's by far my favourite phone UI ever. Alas it's not easily ported, hence the wink (it'll never happen ;) ).

Guest Skate Away

A port of HTC's user interface for their Android phones. It's by far my favourite phone UI ever. Alas it's not easily ported, hence the wink (it'll never happen ;) ).

Does the HTC Wildfire have it ?

I'd like to see a stable ICS release with a working camera, plus any other camera/video improvements we can get, before the devs move on. I think we're going to have a lot of new users now that the OMC can be unlocked and is available for under £100.

Guest pellonet

As an OSF/Blade user for over a year, I was attracted to the OMC by the larger screen & other improvements, then suddenly my local Argos had them in stock for £90 so I went & got one yesterday, I think a number of OSF users will probably make the same choice so the user-base should increase & include some more devs.

My initial reaction to my new device is that the Orange bloating has made it a bit clunky in comparison to my CM7'd OSF so my wish for 2012 would be a number of our skilled members to come up with some reallly slick ROMs & turn this device into the killer device it is probably capable of being.

The only other comment would be to wonder what ZTE are up to by releasing the new OSF2/ZTE Crescent shortly after the OMC, is this going to put off the others like me who saw the OMC as a natural progression from the OSF?

NB when I fired up my new device, Orange immediately gave me £10 free credit so I didn't even need to use the mandatory Topup voucher that came with it. Are these actually saleable?

My initial reaction to my new device is that the Orange bloating has made it a bit clunky in comparison to my CM7'd OSF so my wish for 2012 would be a number of our skilled members to come up with some reallly slick ROMs & turn this device into the killer device it is probably capable of being.

The stock ROM is indeed quite crappy, you should check out the atomic ROM, it's really nice and fast! There's a friendly cook behind it who'll answer all your questions along with the quite large userbase this ROM has! It's also being actively developed so it's only improving :rolleyes: Edited by v1pEr

Guest Atomix86
my wish for 2012 would be a number of our skilled members to come up with some reallly slick ROMs & turn this device into the killer device it is probably capable of being.

Your wish was granted a couple months back :P both atomic and cm7 are great daily use roms, give them a go.

Guest pellonet

Your wish was granted a couple months back :P both atomic and cm7 are great daily use roms, give them a go.

Clearly, my research has to catch up with my enthusiasm so be patient, I'll get there eventually.

In mitigation I should repeat that I only got the phone yesterday afternoon. :D

Thanks everyone

Guest dadashi

Clearly, my research has to catch up with my enthusiasm so be patient, I'll get there eventually.

In mitigation I should repeat that I only got the phone yesterday afternoon. :D

Thanks everyone

I also had the B05 OLED OSF and sold it after I had the OMC for a couple of weeks....

Edited by dadashi

Guest Skate Away

Tiny screen, low resolution, 600mhz cpu, very laggy.

Plenty of other phones have screens that size and it runs CM7 pretty well.

To be fair, the wildfire has good build quality and a fairly impressive camera.

I could use my wildfire as a point and shoot in varying light conditions AND get more than ok results - something I really can't do with the Skate.

I'd rate the Wildfire camera at a 9/10 or 10/10 for picture quality (considering it's a phone) - on the same scale I'd struggle to give the Skate 1/10, the camera is so poor (varying light conditions) they might as well have not bothered fitting one......

I stopped carrying a camera with me when I used the wildfire daily - I've started carrying a camera again now I'm a Skate user......

smile.gif

Edit: I'm pretty sure the CPU was about 800mhz and downclocked to 600mhz - easily rectified in CM7.

Edited by Skate Away

Guest dadashi

if it's a camera you're after then go to nokia, htc comes no where close...

and if your looking for an omc alternative this sin't the thread...there is one lurking, use the search....

I'm sure with the new great price and free unlock and awakened interest it's great long term for skate users.....