Worth upgrading from the Blade?

Guest qwertymz

Guest qwertymz

With the recent Argos deal, I'm highly tempted to sell my OSF/Blade and jump on the Monte Carlo bandwagon. Don't get me wrong - I'm in love with my Blade, and think it's the best phone I've ever owned - I'm just wondering whether this is a good upgrade, or whether I should take my money elsewhere?

The only thing that I'm not in love with when it comes to the Blade is the camera (and battery life). So here are a couple of questions to help me make up my mind.

1) Is the camera flash in the Monte Carlo suitable for low light ocnditions? Can anyone take a couple of pictures and upload them?

2) Does the phone act faster? My OSF takes ages to open up my Gallery, for example.

3) I've read reports saying that the screen is pretty much useless in bright sunlight. Is the screen worse (brightwise) than the OSF? I don't have the OLED version, if that helps.

Thanks!

Guest FatLadZ

the phones flash is pretty crappy the transfers are quick and the screen is amazing even in bright sunlight.

its a faster phone and once its running atomic it is a speed demon.

Dont upgrade if you are happy with a smaller slower phone :lol:

Guest jim1966

I've upgraded from a San Fran, so has my wife. Much much better phone.......coz we can both see the huge screen instead of squinting alot!

Keyboards are easier to use coz of the size. Its just a better experience all round.

Guest qwertymz

Thanks guys - very tempted!

The one thing that I don't like about the OSF is my rubbish camera -- you've said the flash is pretty crappy - how bad is it? Does it take better/well-lit pictures (esp. in the dark), or is it just rubbish?

Guest Atomix86

1) the flash is OK, but nothing stellar. This is not the device for you if you require a high spec camera

2) its faster than the osf in loading as well as swiping etc, especially with a good rom such as cm7 or atomic

3) true, the screen is not so legible in sunlight and gets dirty easily

Guest qwertymz

Nothing stellar - I just like to take snaps using my OSF of random things like food I cook, people, etc - and because it has no flash, all photos look very dark and clumsy. Was just wondering whether the flash is strong enough to at least give a good picture! Do you think it would serve that purpose?

1) Is the camera flash in the Monte Carlo suitable for low light ocnditions? Can anyone take a couple of pictures and upload them?

Currently running Atomic v2.5, here you have some pictures.

Dark room, flash + cloudy white balance: post-871968-0-27185300-1325103743_thumb.

Light room, no flash + cloudy white balance: post-871968-0-53536000-1325103761_thumb.

I use the cloudy white balance cuz it's the best afaik, the others will give you a blueish effect when using flash(yes, even more blueish than what I'm showing here :P).

2) Does the phone act faster? My OSF takes ages to open up my Gallery, for example.

Yes, it is faster than OSF.

When you get it, if you get it ofc, get the Atomic v2.5 or CM7. They're pretty smooth imo.

3) I've read reports saying that the screen is pretty much useless in bright sunlight. Is the screen worse (brightwise) than the OSF? I don't have the OLED version, if that helps.

Tho it has a bigger screen it is not much better than the OSF, some people report they get dust under the first glass layer(I never did), even with max brightness is readable but not comparable to a OLED :P Edited by D3abL3

Guest Atomix86
Nothing stellar - I just like to take snaps using my OSF of random things like food I cook, people, etc - and because it has no flash, all photos look very dark and clumsy. Was just wondering whether the flash is strong enough to at least give a good picture! Do you think it would serve that purpose?

Honestly, no its not. For one thing you'll need to mess around with the white balance to find the best setting for the situation (auto is absolutely terrible), and the pics themselves seem quite grainy. I've only managed to get a sharp, decent quality snap when taking pics in bright natural sunlight.

Guest qwertymz

Thanks to everyone who replied. Based on the sample photos posted and a couple of the comments I think I'm skipping this one - I'm really happy with my OSF, and as I said, it's only a decent camera/flash that would persuade me to upgrade. Hope this thread is of use to someone else in the future!

Guest FatLadZ

Thanks to everyone who replied. Based on the sample photos posted and a couple of the comments I think I'm skipping this one - I'm really happy with my OSF, and as I said, it's only a decent camera/flash that would persuade me to upgrade. Hope this thread is of use to someone else in the future!

id reconsider i thing that the camera isnt the best but certainly isnt the worse and especially good at close up work.

check out a pic i took last week

www.fatladz.com/fwmug.jpg

im sure youll agree it isnt all that bad?

no way would i go back to my OLED san fran now!

Guest Atomix86

id reconsider i thing that the camera isnt the best but certainly isnt the worse and especially good at close up work.

check out a pic i took last week

www.fatladz.com/fwmug.jpg

im sure youll agree it isnt all that bad?

no way would i go back to my OLED san fran now!

Nice mug :D

thanks and i bet you cant guess my name ;)

Is it Wank? :lol:

@OP: From Blade to Skate you'll get a faster and bigger phone.

The camera is nothing from another world but it gets the job done with some excellency with day light, sadly the camera sensor and the led flash don't like each other that much :P

I can take a picture with and without flash on a low light environment if you like. The pics I posted before are in total darkness.