Can camera be improved?

Guest bstock

Guest bstock

Great phone but disappointed with camera. For a 5 megapixel camera would have expected better pictures.

Are there any apps that could significantly improve it or is it just down to the hardware.

Guest bstock

Did try that one but for some reason it kept trying to take pictures in countdown mode. As it had been such a pain I uninstalled it. Will give it another try.

Great phone but disappointed with camera. For a 5 megapixel camera would have expected better pictures.

Are there any apps that could significantly improve it or is it just down to the hardware.

The camera on this device is absolutely appalling. I guess Acer must have saved a buck or two by using a crappy lens and sensor but its a big shame because it really lets the device down. It's the worst part of an otherwise decent handset.

I've had a mess around using lgCameraPro and Camera360 - both give slight improvements over the inbuilt camera app (especially with noise reduction) but the pictures are still terrible for a modern 5MP phone camera. Like most crap cameras it works much better in daylight, but even then it is poor in comparison to even a bog standard nokia dumb phone. The limiting factor seems to be the hardware, so the software can only do so much.

I've removed the little plastic windows in the backcover. I noticed it really degrades lensperformance a lot. Without it, you get a lot less halo effects round bright areas. Don't expect miracles though. It stays shitty, just a little less now. Corner sharpness is the worst. What I sometimes do is frame the picture a little bit bigger and crop away the borders in a photo editing app.

MP count is a factor not to look at when buying a phone. I am a photographer when i'm not studying. i use a fuji s5 pro (6MP) and a nikon D300 (12MP) with a good set of lenses, and i am more pleased with the fujifilms output. My clients usually don't notice the difference. More megapixels come with a cost, especially when the sensor isn't big. From a photographers point of view, less MP on a camera phone would make a lot of sense. I would love to have a decent 2-3MP unit with modern sensor technology on my phone. The resulting image would be better (better noise performance, less blown out areas). You would loose some fine detail, but who prints their phone images really big? 3MP is enough for a very sharp A4 print.

5MP is worthless if the lens can't resolve that amount of detail.

But marketing says no. :'(

Edited by Teun_2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone thought as much :(

Looks like I can't replace my ageing digital camera after all.

Overall still pleased with the phone but the camera is a big let down