[Development][ROM] Stock FROYO + 2.6.32 kernel

Guest pier11

Guest pier11

Dear all,

let me present work in progress to make standard FROYO reference rom based on appropriate kernel - 2.6.32

Rom is an adopted stock froyo of Huawei UM840 device (msm7225 based). Same for ramdisk.

Kernel is a port of u8150 (msm7225 based) to Pulse.

Works:

- display

- radio

- mobile data network

- bluetooth

- wifi

- touchscreen

- keypad

- jogball

- usb: mass storage, adb

- usb tethering

- both cameras (thanks to dr.flo wrapper)

- front camera switch

- sd card

- backlight/brightness

- vibrator

- sensors

- sound

- hardware acceleration

- gps

Doesn't work:

- keypad LEDs

Known issues:

- mac address is not correct. (SetMacAddress app looks causing problems to wifi driver, don't use it so far). Try this solution by dr.flo

- gps icon stuck forever on notification bar, ignore it. (Known bug of eclair gps libs on froyo.)

The um840 rom is fully internationalized. I hope it might be an interesting base for custom roms, as well as would help us improve 2.6.32 kernel, which should bring new life to CM7 (and more?)

Instructions to install:

- Make a backup of your system if something goes wrong

- Should be installed on /system partition of 110MB or more (for u8220: install first if not yet TRE 2.1 rom or CHT8000 2.1 rom)

- Wipe data/Factory reset

- install zip via ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7 as usual

- install DT Apps2SD if needed.

Download:

um840-20120226.zip (fixed wifi reconnection)

Dark Tremor Apps2SD (optional)

Kernel update (optional):

um840-BOOTIMG-20120315.zip (Fix for Goggles. Also adds ext3/4.) git: 807ee49eb1bea1856fdc323c07c6a256483cf7ee

Historical versions:

um840-20120224.zip (fixed reboot on incoming sms/alarm)

um840-20120222.zip (fixed boot animation)

um840-20120220.zip (features smooth HQ video playback)

um840-20120218.zip

um840-20120216.zip

um840-20120215.zip

um840-20120213.zip

rom_u8150-FR.03.zip (Feb-07-2012)

rom_u8150-FR.02.zip (Feb-06-2012)

rom_u8150-FR.01.zip

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

Changelog:

um840-20120226.zip

- fixed wifi reconnection issue. New wifi driver.

- added Terminal Emulator app.

um840-20120224.zip

-fixed reboot on incoming sms/alarm

-green/red/dpad buttons don't wake up phone anymore

um840-20120222.zip

- boot animation fixed -- thanks to lloco73

- added 'No-frills CPU Control' app to control overclock.

- keypad-lights-ready kernel.

um840-20120220.zip

- HQ video smooth playback

um840-20120218.zip

- Updated apps to latest versions. This fixed that some apps did not show up.

- Added Pulse's sound profile.

- Added SetMacAddress to correct default mac address setting.

- Asian fonts are back to normal.

- HQ video playback is back but not smooth.

um840-20120216.zip

- added support for /system/etc/init.d scripts

- mounts /sd-ext partition if available

- ships busybox, e2fsck

Allows now to install DT Apps2SD

um840-20120215.zip

- video playback works

- cameras can record video

- gps works

- added superuser

Edited by pier11

Guest jgilalonso

Hi Pier11,

I think that it would be interesting (if CM7 RC works well with your kernel) inform to the CM community to merge your work in the CM7 official.

Perhaps, Tom or other people can solve cam issue or improve your kernel (someone said that battery drained faster than 29 kernel)

Is a proposition.

we are with you

Guest rulerofkaos

I think that it would be interesting (if CM7 RC works well with your kernel) inform to the CM community to merge your work in the CM7 official.

Perhaps, Tom or other people can solve cam issue or improve your kernel (someone said that battery drained faster than 29 kernel)

I think this is a good idea, maybe we'll get some interesting and helpfull input.

Guest pier11

u8230 touch does not work

romea,

thanks for testing. In fact you may have different touchscreen to what other people have.

Would you be kind enough to try to enter ProjectMenu in some other rom as described here

What is your Touch screen type? (And what' camera types while you are still there).

Also pastebin-en dmesg from rom that works (or both) would help figure out your touchscreen issue.

In terminal:

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
Or via adb:
./adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

all FRG83 build roms are able to run this boot.img

checked it on CM6.1, and pier11 post #1 summarizes the status.

I run CM6.1 in the moment (twrock's basic). It works better with the kernel than stock froyo. Radio, sound work fine. Wifi just need driver for 2.6.32 kernel.

Cameras don't try to work as shipped with CM6.1 libs are incompatible with .32 kernel (they search wrong devices to begin with).

I'm interested to get help on solving radio/wifi/sound issues with stock froyo rom. It's not an issue with CM6.1.

Guest El Nino9

I run CM6.1 in the moment (twrock's basic). It works better with the kernel than stock froyo. Radio, sound work fine. Wifi just need driver for 2.6.32 kernel.

Cameras don't try to work as shipped with CM6.1 libs are incompatible with .32 kernel (they search wrong devices to begin with).

I'm interested to get help on solving radio/wifi/sound issues with stock froyo rom. It's not an issue with CM6.1.

Hi Pier, i've been following your other kernel thread and would like to say a big thank you to you for starters.

i've pulled out my my pulse from my spares draw once again because of you and i would love to see the device be able to gtalk video with the front cam on a device that had a front camera before the nexus s.

i will try to get to the point of my post now, i am currently downloading your work now and about to flash to my pulse. i wont be able to assist directly tonight. i will be trying a 3rd party camera app such as camera zoom fx as i remember from my G1 days that the original camera app had distortion issues similar to this or maybe somebody else can provide feedback quicker then me.

as for the ril situation, i'm not sure if it was the pulse or the blade, but i recall there was a huge thread trying to get the ril to work and various methods tried by lots of people to get it to work. i will try find that thread as it might be useful probably tomorrow after work.

i hope to contribute like you have given your time for this community.

many thanks

Guest pier11

i hope to contribute like you have given your time for this community.

Thanks, mate, appreciate your help!

That all stuff but cameras work fine with CM6/7, but hesitate to work on stock Froyo. Wanted to understand better if kernel need adjustments or better rom building was needed.

our CM6/7 looks heavily borrowed Eclair libs... Wanted to avoid that if possible, thus stock Froyo rom...

Guest El Nino9

Thanks, mate, appreciate your help!

That all stuff but cameras work fine with CM6/7, but hesitate to work on stock Froyo. Wanted to understand better if kernel need adjustments or better rom building was needed.

our CM6/7 looks heavily borrowed Eclair libs... Wanted to avoid that if possible, thus stock Froyo rom...

i guess the fact is that the rom you have borrowed from the ascend isn't entirely stock, i mean we would be required to build directly from AOSP source from google (not CM source) for a "stock rom" as the manufacture of the device might have mods.

i was reading the build prop to change the screen density a little during break to see what new things they have in there since our phone. some interesting add ons. will provide more info.back to work now, breaks over :(

I used Huawei's "1MULTI-TOUCH_STOCK_ROM" from u8150 device. (removed some apps/media to fit into our smaller /system partition).

By stock I meant official Huawei's rom.

Our 2.6.32 kernel has u8150 origin too.

i guess the fact is that the rom you have borrowed from the ascend isn't entirely stock, ...

I believe 'stock' in this context refers to a ROM that most closely matches the original u8150 kernel, not one that doesn't have any modifications.

Since pier11 ported u8150's kernel to the pulse, with as little modifications as possible, we would expect u8150 stock rom to function for all those things that are equivalent in hardware.

The goal is to have a working pulse .32 kernel which is as similar as possible to other .32 kernels. This would allow us to look forward and eliminate hacks in CM that are only there for compatibility with the outdated .29 kernel.

edit: pier was a little faster B)

Edited by dr.flo

one slightly off topic question:

on my pulse I currently run UK 2011 update (with ~ 85 MB system partition)

If I install the UK 2010 update to get a greater system partition in order to try the froyo rom,

can I revert to smaller system partition if I re-install UK 2011 again?

you should,

but no one returned yet :) No point :)

Actually it didn't return the values for me the last time. :/ The data stayed untouched after updating from 2010 to 2011 UK. To get the needed partition, I used the DE update.

Actually it didn't return the values for me the last time. :/ The data stayed untouched after updating from 2010 to 2011 UK. To get the needed partition, I used the DE update.

That is strange. I've gone back and forth between the two UK roms a number of times. I have always had the partitions resized no matter which update I flashed.

That is strange. I've gone back and forth between the two UK roms a number of times. I have always had the partitions resized no matter which update I flashed.

Hey, twrock, good to have you in this thread :)

While you are still here, what would be your idea how to fix radio in that rom?

Formal replacement of system/lib/*ril* and rild to one from pulse didn't give me results... Is u8150 radio related stuff should work out of box, or not at all? that's gsm phone, not cdma as ascend... Radio works with CM6/7 just fine.

Edited by pier11

Guest El Nino9

Hey, twrock, good to have you in this thread :)

While you are still here, what would be your idea how to fix radio in that rom?

Formal replacement of system/lib/*ril* and rild to one from pulse didn't give me results... Is u8150 radio related stuff should work out of box, or not at all? that's gsm phone, not cdma as ascend... Radio works with CM6/7 just fine.

i've been trying to do some research about the ril by searching on this forum and found a topic for the pulse...

http://android.modac..._1#entry1223197

(used words ril and porting)

and it pointed to another site http://www.netmite.c.../telephony.html

also reading this thread, i found that it lead to the fix for RIL for the ZTE blade which might help us in knowing how they obtained it.

i will try read through these all and if anybody else has time and wants to read up it'll be great :)

also what matty says make it sound so easy :P but i know it isn't :(

the blade also had issues with RIL again when porting CM7

i think i have found the post i had mentioned earlier but it will take time to go through all of them. hopefully they are well documented and at least explain what was done to achieve this. LINK

Off topic, can someone upload the 2010 2.1 update please as i can't get a hold of it anymore?

and @ pier11: i tried using a 3rd party camera app, camera zoom. it gives the exact same results (as expected but i thought i'd try) i will during the weekend try look through the build.prop file and compare with CM6 mods to see what other functions were added via this method.

Edited by El Nino9

thanks for links, reading some of them.

Don't know if this would help, but for different purpose I've composed u8110 (pulseMINI) rom for our device.

But the same issues - no radio, wifi.

The rom is here. For development purposes only!

The point is that u8110 rom is Eclair rom and very very similar to our 2.1 Eclair last official rom.

So may be play with libs/apps/properties replacement would help figuring out what is needed to tweak in that roms.

Then apply the findings to u8150 Froyo rom.

I think I have an idea where wifi issues might be. I thought that ascend uses our ar6000 wifi module, which is not true. As only ar6000 related files were in /system/wifi folder I came to that conclusion. (On u8150 there were a mix of ar6000 and broadcom's - bcm - files)

Seem the only devices that use our wifi module are u8100-u8120.

on u8110 eclair:

$ strings .../system/lib/libhardware_legacy.so | grep -i wifi

/system/wifi/dhd.ko

/system/wifi/ar6000.ko
on m860 ascend froyo:

/wifi/dhd.ko
u8150 froyo:
$ strings .../system/lib/libhardware_legacy.so

/wifi/dhd.ko
u8220 pulse eclair:

/system/wifi/dhd.ko

/system/wifi/ar6000.ko

libhardware_legacy.so is responsible for wifi module loading...

Edited by pier11

Guest El Nino9

Yep Agree about the wifi.

i notice that the ZTE blade uses the same wifi chipset. we can "borrow" its driver, either from a CM build or their "AOSP" build as different countries got different versions of android on the same phone. or is the aim still to use huawei phones and sources only?