Nexus S Vs. LG 2x

Guest stonebear

Guest stonebear

Hi,

I ordered the Google Nexus S AND an LG 2x, I will be sending one back and keeping the one I like best and I am hoping you can help me with some questions before the phone arrives.

From what I understand the LG is the more powerful phone but has some issues, what I need to know is will a custom rom sort these issues out? If so then the LG seems to be the one for me.

My first smartphone (and current phone) is the Acer Liquid MT and I have installed different roms and kernels on that so I don't mind doing it with the LG if needed.

If you reply would you please say which roms you think are best and if they have an issues?

Thanks.

Guest jimborae

Thats a difficult one to answer but I have both phones so here's my 2 cents. The O2X was/is a great piece of hardware let down by some very crap software. However I'm currently running the latest Gueste rom and it really is a good rom although unfortunately it uses the LG launcher. IT's fast, smooth, battery life is phenomenal and very stable. I believe that it's based on the latest V20O rom and so this bodes well for the next MCR release....if there is one :)

The Nexus S hardware wise is not as good as the O2X, however on that I'm running the latest CM9 ICS Alpha and that is also very fast, stable & fairly bug free. But I keep going back to the LG as it's the best all rounder phone I have and that includes the Galaxy Nexus I also have. O2X is the right size, great screen, good weight and nice features such as HDMI out which I use when travelling. And most importantly it has micro sd slot

Guest stonebear

The O2X was/is a great piece of hardware let down by some very crap software.

Thanks for your reply jim.

That is the impression I got by reading up on it a bit, however I am glad to hear that you are running a rom you are happy with - that means I will be able to do the same.

The Nexus S looks like a pretty nice phone too, not as good hardware but not bad either.

They have cost me £200 each so there is nothing to sway me in terms of price. I have 2 weeks to decide whether to return theNexus and 28 days to decide whether to return the LG so I can make my mind up properly.

Does having 2 cores make any real world difference? I suppose not right now but it will do as time goes on?

I would say Nexus S.

Last year I sold my Nexus S to get the LG Optimus 2x and I have regretted that decision since.

Nexus S has impressive smoothness which LG Optimus 2x cannot provide due to buggy software.

Guest stonebear

Thanks Navlem.

Which has the nicest screen?

The main reason for me getting a new phone is I don't like the screen on the Acer MT, it is a bit small and has a lot of curved plastic on it. Performance-wise it is good enough for me as I have it overclocked.

Also, which has the best battery life?

Guest Flix123

Today, I compared my 2X with a Nexus s of a friend.

The 2x is faster, has a better screen and looks better. I'd take the 2x. With latest firmware its a great phone!

Nexus S can open bootloader too. Alot of amazing roms there.

Plus it already have Ice Cream Sandwich rom already.

2x in terms of aesthetics looks great compared to Nexus S though.

Guest RadioCharlie

I've got the 2X (previous had the Orange Monte Carlo as a "starter" 'droid phone - after coming from a 9300 Berry!). I like the 2X but the above poster is right about good hardware let down by poor software - In the 3 hours of having mine, it rebooted perhaps 4-5 times for no reason. The stock Froyo ROM seemed buggy and a Root + Re-Flash has cured that. Battery life is good but fairly typical for any 'droid device although it can vary between ROMs and whether you get under the hood and start tweaking Kernels etc. I'm not a big gamer but the ones I've tried are slick and menu scrolling etc all very smooth.

I nearly got the Optimus Black but took the dual-core option in an attempt to future-proof myself if Carphone Warehouse don't offer me a decent deal come September when I can upgrade. At present, I am running build 27 of the KANG ROM over on the XDA forum, it's a CM7 derivitive although I've tried BlazingDragon which was also a nice variant o the stock ROM.

Guest stonebear

Thanks everyone, my Nexus S arrived and it is quite nice, very "plasticky" though.

Despite the 02X being shown as "in stock" at Amazon when I bought it, I haven't got a dispatch date which is annoying.

I am leaning towards the O2X but need to actually have it before I can fully decide. The main thing is that, as I am quite happy to install mod roms etc, I will have a phone that isn't let down by the stock software.

Guest mankian

When I first had my optimus 2x I hated it. so many issues... but i put CM nightly 204 on a while back with bb 0725 and its been solid since. no BSOD/reboots... the battery meter can screw up occasionally (once a month) which is normally fixed by ignoring it for a few hours til it fixes itself. other than that its fine, and its been used quite a lot lately for developing android apps which it handles great. in short, if you like tinkering the o2x is a good phone. if you cant be arsed to tinker i wouldnt go near one.

not tried the nexus S at all to compare...

O2x is unbeatable at this price BUT... Use a custom ROM or update it else don't use it at all. My first experience was with stock 10b witch it was awful. Many restarts signal was unstable GPS was s***. Right now 10 months later I feel I got what I payed for (500€ back then).

Cyanogen is stable and with many nice features and there are excellent kernels for speed or powersave.

Right now I use cm204-33 Kang of temasek with vadonka s kernel journal version. The phone is lag free smooth with go launcher 5 screens 13 widgets. Browsing is a breeze with opera, I can use it as a "DVD player"with hd hdmi output and a very good music player.

Multitasking is also not a problem althought the 512 ram. There are ways to expand it with cms compcach and swap. I for instance have 100mb compcach and 256mb swap. The only thing I miss is the usb host. Maybe I'll miss the ice cream sandwich too since it will come around summer for o2x but gingerbread is running great. Did I tell you that you can even repartition it? 384 cache and 2gbs data for me.

I never had a nexus but it misses a lot of stuff to even start competing the optimus. screen, sdcard, radio, hd recording and a core comes in mind. it's gpu is good but not tegra good. The only thing you get over the optimus is faster updates.

Guest stonebear

Thanks guys, Amazon have given me a dispatch date but now they say my bank is refusing my card, even though it is the same card I always use (it is on file) and I have the funds in the bank...I did a "retry" but it refused again, it is like fate is against me getting this phone.

I have been trying out the Nexus S and it is surprisingly fast given that my overclocked Acer scores higher in CPU benchmarks, the Nexus still feels faster. I like the complete lack of bloatware. I could upgrade to ICS but I am not going to given that I will probably be returning it.

Things I don't like about the Nexus S, I don't like the curved screen and the tint that it has, also the battery is going down faster than my Acer.

I think I will be keeping the LG if Amazon/my bank let me buy it, I am quite happy to tinker with roms and kernels and there seems to be a lot of modding happening for it. Being dual core it will be far more future proof.

I currently have my Acer undervolted as well as overclocked so I hope that will be possible with the LG too. I don't mind waiting for ICS or ICS custom roms.

Edited by stonebear

Nokia recognized the situation that android has degrade mobile manufacturers into hardware makers.

Like when you purchase a laptop, you'll focus on the hardware more than the bundled software.

Software is always modifiable, where you're almost not possible to alter the hardware in smartphone.

Single Core vs Dual Core..

Build-in Memory vs Micro-SD slot

HDMI port... these are what you cannot alter...

I used a different card and Amazon are finally all set, I will be receiving it next week sometime. Meanwhile I will be sending the Nexus back.

I hope you wont regret your decision like i did. I missed my Nexus S. :(

Guest stonebear

It's quite unpredictable. :P

Oh no...

Well my O2X has been dispatched so I will have it soon, I still have 13 days to make my mind up with the Nexus S so I won't rush to return it. I can compare both at the same time.

As long as I can get whatever rom the O2 arrives with back on it to send it back I can try various roms to see how it goes. Gonna have to do some quick research into it.

I am used to my Acer so I am not sure how to do the mod rom thing with the O2X.

Guest everett_psycho

Surely if you turn it on,root it and do a nandroid backup straight away all you'd have to do is restore that backup, remove the root and cwm and your back to as it arrived? People are right though, great phone that LG couldn't write software for. In running normal cm7 (I think its nightly 204), I get the odd problem but its nothing I can't live with, much better than my old heros stock was anyway

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

Guest mankian

So funny. I write a message about how all the problems are sorted then the alarm failed this morning. Something to be careful of on the O2X (alarm sometimes doesnt go off whilst phone is charging)

Guest everett_psycho

So funny. I write a message about how all the problems are sorted then the alarm failed this morning. Something to be careful of on the O2X (alarm sometimes doesnt go off whilst phone is charging)

I never noticed but that would explain why sometimes i dont remember getting up to turn them off

Guest stonebear

Surely if you turn it on,root it and do a nandroid backup straight away all you'd have to do is restore that backup, remove the root and cwm and your back to as it arrived?

That makes sense but how do I remove CWM and root? I didn't know it was possible.

Guest stonebear

If that is the rom's only issue, I could live with it. :)

Guest stonebear

I just updated the Nexus S to ICS and it runs a lot slower than GB did...this would seem to clinch it.

And now I can't get back to GB to return it, lol.

Edited by stonebear