Photo

[ROM][ZTE Skate] SKatie by Ceco - Android 2.3.5 (DOLBY MOBILE NOW AVAILABLE!!!)

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Devices:See sig
Fair enough :), just thought people would prefer the smoothness.

If it helps this is what I added to your build.prop:

debug.composition.type=gpu
debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true

Edited by Atomix86, 13 January 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Nasty budget phones, begone! Hello sexy brand new Galaxy S2!

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
Well, this looks nice but I would like to see some kind of comparison to get the picture of how these tweaks really affect the performance of the device.
Will probably do the tests myself to see if it really makes a big difference, or not.

Thanks, anyway :)

Links to my stuff: SlimBean (Android 4.2.2), RootBox (CM/AOKP/PA mix 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly2 (AOSPA 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly (JB), ParanoidAndroid (ICS), MokeeOS (GB), CM7.2 (GB), SKatie (GB), SwedishSnow (GB), Kernels
If you like my contribution to Android community, click donate button on my page at: http://ceco.sk.eu.org
Please, do not use personal conversation to solve your problems. Use forum - its power is often underestimated. If I can't help somebody else will certainly try to. Thanks.

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Well, this looks nice but I would like to see some kind of comparison to get the picture of how these tweaks really affect the performance of the device.
Will probably do the tests myself to see if it really makes a big difference, or not.

Thanks, anyway :)

Of course, it is your ROM after all :P, and no problem.

Riz1

Riz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:LG GT540
I find the Orange stock Rom quite good with the battery life of my OMC, which is why i have not bothered to change it. How does the battery life compare? This Rom looks good as it does not,apparently, deviate too far from the stock Rom.

Also would it be possible to post a few more screen shots?

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
Battery life seems to be the same compared to stock one according to my experience. Of course it depends on how high you go with the overclocking.
Screenshots... What would you like to see? The current screenshots reflect the major changes and everything is basically the same as stock.
No changes in UI at all.

Links to my stuff: SlimBean (Android 4.2.2), RootBox (CM/AOKP/PA mix 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly2 (AOSPA 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly (JB), ParanoidAndroid (ICS), MokeeOS (GB), CM7.2 (GB), SKatie (GB), SwedishSnow (GB), Kernels
If you like my contribution to Android community, click donate button on my page at: http://ceco.sk.eu.org
Please, do not use personal conversation to solve your problems. Use forum - its power is often underestimated. If I can't help somebody else will certainly try to. Thanks.

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
Ok to be honest I don't think that scrolling cache made a bit of difference lol, perhaps it would on higher end phones, but the Skate has natural lags everywhere anyway. Thanks for letting me try though :)

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Ok I have to first say that I don't think any GPU acceleration is enabled in your ROM, it was definitely more laggy overall until I tweaked the build.prop :P

OK. I did some tests. Take a look at the following picture and find the difference :)
http://ceco.sk.eu.or..._vs_tweaked.jpg

I admit there are some useful tweaks like wpa supplicant scan interval that can theoretically lead to better battery life but
talking about performance I just can't see any benefits.

Time to call Mythbusters to solve this one :D

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
Everyone knows not to base things on synthetic benchmarks lol. Try enabling the hw variables and check how much smoother scrolling is and the opening / closing animations are. It's night and day ;)

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
OK. Decided to release an addon (can be found in the second post) - to have at least the placebo effect if nothing else :)
Anyway, Thank you for pointing this out.

Ceco.

bloomsan

bloomsan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Flashed your Rom today nice work!

radiodaze

radiodaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:OMC Skatie 2.4
My first post...go easy!

For the benefit of would-be users I wanted to say how great this ROM is. I have been, since buying my OMC some weeks ago, watching this forum looking to find the best jump for a noob like me. It's a big deal for the non-savvy to do this and Ceco has made it easy. It is also the ROM I was seaching for, conservative, fast and looks good. All the little things you might worry about like wi-fi etc all work out of the box. I've now got rid of my Orange bloatware and the phone is now working perfectly on day two. Maket and adding apps works perfect. In standby the drain over 18 hours has been barely perceptible in 'default' set up (i.e. no wifi).

I have encountered only one issue. I was intrigued to hear what the OMC might sound like with a little help from the DSP equaliser. I opened this and selected 'Rock' but this caused a forced close and the message pops up about three times before it leaves you alone. Unfortunately when you reboot / restart the phone the FC message plagues me again. Once you're in this loop you cannot enter the DSP program to do anything about it. I simply reflashed the phone and stay away from the DSP. A quick Google told me that lots of users have issues with this in other ROM's so don't think this is a showstopper. Perhaps you can work out a fix Ceco or provide advice? Perhaps I should stop listening to 'rock' ;-)

If you're nervous about messing with your nice new phone or even slightly concerned that something might go wrong then this is definately the ROM for you. Loading it could not be easier. It's stock without the bloat and just what I wanted. Well done Ceco my phone is working great (looks great too).

R

kevjames

kevjames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:orange monte carlo
Hi,

Does this ROM support BBC iPlayer and Flash ?

Kev

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
Radiodaze: Thanks for the great review indeed. Really appreciated :)

Flash works after installing this apk: http://ceco.sk.eu.or...FlashPlayer.apk

ATTENTION:

I am experiencing some weird issues after tweaking the build.prop - e.g. SD Speed increase and Camera FCs on me.
I should have known I should not touch anything on the Friday the 13th :D
Please, report if you have similar problems and indicate if you used the build.prop addon or not.
Thanks

EDIT: Well... Seems like I screwed it up just in Slovak version. This one should be OK.

Edited by C3C0, 13 January 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Obsydian

Obsydian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Very laggy and slow :blink:

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
Fixed the Build.prop Tweak addon. Anybody having problems with camcorder FCing after installing the tweak, just redownload the new Build.prop tweak addon from the second post and reflash. The Friday the 13th rulez :D

TouchyAndalou

TouchyAndalou

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
This rom isn't for me, simply because the TPT install method prevents me from easily adding/removing apps before flashing (unless I'm missing something)

But I wanted to say that the rom looks really nice and it's great to have a basic, almost stock rom as another option.

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

I have encountered only one issue. I was intrigued to hear what the OMC might sound like with a little help from the DSP equaliser. I opened this and selected 'Rock' but this caused a forced close and the message pops up about three times before it leaves you alone. Unfortunately when you reboot / restart the phone the FC message plagues me again. Once you're in this loop you cannot enter the DSP program to do anything about it. I simply reflashed the phone and stay away from the DSP. A quick Google told me that lots of users have issues with this in other ROM's so don't think this is a showstopper. Perhaps you can work out a fix Ceco or provide advice? Perhaps I should stop listening to 'rock' ;-)

I was able to reproduce the problem. For now I have no idea how to deal with this. Tried to debug - looks like parameter "Rock" is unknown to DSP manager - looks like bug in application itself but I am not sure - I need more time for this.
Anyway, maybe a little advice for you: If you find any of the app in the future starting to FC on you repeatedly after you make some kind of setting which application does not like, you don't need to reflash rom. Just go to Setting / Applications / Manage applications and locate you problem causing app, click on it you will see the screen with "Clear data" button. By pressing on it you will force that app to "forget" it's current setting and load it's default settings.

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

This rom isn't for me, simply because the TPT install method prevents me from easily adding/removing apps before flashing (unless I'm missing something)

But I wanted to say that the rom looks really nice and it's great to have a basic, almost stock rom as another option.

Yes, you are right. This one is intended for users who are not willing to go very deep into details. Just flash and go. I believe there is lots of them :)
Anyway, it is not impossible to modify it as desired by uncpacking and repacking, but... it's really much more work compared to roms in update ZIP format.

domenico lamberti

domenico lamberti

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent,HTC Explorer
  • Twitter:@Mobile_Dom
the benefit of the TPT install is that it repartitions the internal memory so you get more space for apps no ?

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Very laggy and slow

Without the hw acceleration tweaks it is, thats why i suggested them. Definitely not a placebo lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users