[ROM][ZTE Skate] SKatie by Ceco - Android 2.3.5 (DOLBY MOBILE NOW AVAILABLE!!!)

Guest C3C0

Guest Atomix86

Ok to be honest I don't think that scrolling cache made a bit of difference lol, perhaps it would on higher end phones, but the Skate has natural lags everywhere anyway. Thanks for letting me try though :)

Ok I have to first say that I don't think any GPU acceleration is enabled in your ROM, it was definitely more laggy overall until I tweaked the build.prop :P

OK. I did some tests. Take a look at the following picture and find the difference :)

http://ceco.sk.eu.org/omc/skatie/v1.1/stock_vs_tweaked.jpg

I admit there are some useful tweaks like wpa supplicant scan interval that can theoretically lead to better battery life but

talking about performance I just can't see any benefits.

Time to call Mythbusters to solve this one :D

Guest Atomix86

Everyone knows not to base things on synthetic benchmarks lol. Try enabling the hw variables and check how much smoother scrolling is and the opening / closing animations are. It's night and day ;)

OK. Decided to release an addon (can be found in the second post) - to have at least the placebo effect if nothing else :)

Anyway, Thank you for pointing this out.

Ceco.

Guest radiodaze

My first post...go easy!

For the benefit of would-be users I wanted to say how great this ROM is. I have been, since buying my OMC some weeks ago, watching this forum looking to find the best jump for a noob like me. It's a big deal for the non-savvy to do this and Ceco has made it easy. It is also the ROM I was seaching for, conservative, fast and looks good. All the little things you might worry about like wi-fi etc all work out of the box. I've now got rid of my Orange bloatware and the phone is now working perfectly on day two. Maket and adding apps works perfect. In standby the drain over 18 hours has been barely perceptible in 'default' set up (i.e. no wifi).

I have encountered only one issue. I was intrigued to hear what the OMC might sound like with a little help from the DSP equaliser. I opened this and selected 'Rock' but this caused a forced close and the message pops up about three times before it leaves you alone. Unfortunately when you reboot / restart the phone the FC message plagues me again. Once you're in this loop you cannot enter the DSP program to do anything about it. I simply reflashed the phone and stay away from the DSP. A quick Google told me that lots of users have issues with this in other ROM's so don't think this is a showstopper. Perhaps you can work out a fix Ceco or provide advice? Perhaps I should stop listening to 'rock' ;-)

If you're nervous about messing with your nice new phone or even slightly concerned that something might go wrong then this is definately the ROM for you. Loading it could not be easier. It's stock without the bloat and just what I wanted. Well done Ceco my phone is working great (looks great too).

R

Radiodaze: Thanks for the great review indeed. Really appreciated :)

Flash works after installing this apk: http://ceco.sk.eu.or...FlashPlayer.apk

ATTENTION:

I am experiencing some weird issues after tweaking the build.prop - e.g. SD Speed increase and Camera FCs on me.

I should have known I should not touch anything on the Friday the 13th :D

Please, report if you have similar problems and indicate if you used the build.prop addon or not.

Thanks

EDIT: Well... Seems like I screwed it up just in Slovak version. This one should be OK.

Edited by C3C0

Fixed the Build.prop Tweak addon. Anybody having problems with camcorder FCing after installing the tweak, just redownload the new Build.prop tweak addon from the second post and reflash. The Friday the 13th rulez :D

Guest TouchyAndalou

This rom isn't for me, simply because the TPT install method prevents me from easily adding/removing apps before flashing (unless I'm missing something)

But I wanted to say that the rom looks really nice and it's great to have a basic, almost stock rom as another option.

I have encountered only one issue. I was intrigued to hear what the OMC might sound like with a little help from the DSP equaliser. I opened this and selected 'Rock' but this caused a forced close and the message pops up about three times before it leaves you alone. Unfortunately when you reboot / restart the phone the FC message plagues me again. Once you're in this loop you cannot enter the DSP program to do anything about it. I simply reflashed the phone and stay away from the DSP. A quick Google told me that lots of users have issues with this in other ROM's so don't think this is a showstopper. Perhaps you can work out a fix Ceco or provide advice? Perhaps I should stop listening to 'rock' ;-)

I was able to reproduce the problem. For now I have no idea how to deal with this. Tried to debug - looks like parameter "Rock" is unknown to DSP manager - looks like bug in application itself but I am not sure - I need more time for this.

Anyway, maybe a little advice for you: If you find any of the app in the future starting to FC on you repeatedly after you make some kind of setting which application does not like, you don't need to reflash rom. Just go to Setting / Applications / Manage applications and locate you problem causing app, click on it you will see the screen with "Clear data" button. By pressing on it you will force that app to "forget" it's current setting and load it's default settings.

This rom isn't for me, simply because the TPT install method prevents me from easily adding/removing apps before flashing (unless I'm missing something)

But I wanted to say that the rom looks really nice and it's great to have a basic, almost stock rom as another option.

Yes, you are right. This one is intended for users who are not willing to go very deep into details. Just flash and go. I believe there is lots of them :)

Anyway, it is not impossible to modify it as desired by uncpacking and repacking, but... it's really much more work compared to roms in update ZIP format.

the benefit of the TPT install is that it repartitions the internal memory so you get more space for apps no ?

Yes. By flashing it you will automatically get more than 90MB additional space for applications (compared to stock).

Guest radiodaze

I was able to reproduce the problem. For now I have no idea how to deal with this. Tried to debug - looks like parameter "Rock" is unknown to DSP manager - looks like bug in application itself but I am not sure - I need more time for this.

Anyway, maybe a little advice for you: If you find any of the app in the future starting to FC on you repeatedly after you make some kind of setting which application does not like, you don't need to reflash rom. Just go to Setting / Applications / Manage applications and locate you problem causing app, click on it you will see the screen with "Clear data" button. By pressing on it you will force that app to "forget" it's current setting and load it's default settings.

Thanks for the info Ceco. I did try that at the time but I couldn't find it running...maybe because I clicked on the forced close message first? Maybe I missed it. I did notice it running last night but I haven't even used it.

It's now the third day since I flashed this and despite messing about loading apps and getting familiar with the phone the battery still remains in good shape after 72 hours, when in sleep mode the drain is virtually undetectable.

Does the DSP work at all? - if so what setting do you recommend to 'enhance' the sound? Despite your tip I haven't messed with it in case I screw things up! Can I actually use the equaliser?

Will I benefit from the new patch? It seems to run fine for me as is, as does the Flash 10.2/157.3.40 apk I downloaded from the board a few weeks ago. Is your Flash link to another build and is that better?

One app I could get to work properly is RTE News Now. This is a live (not geo locked) news TV channel from Ireland. It uses an Android video protocol and the video works fine on my wife's San Fran. but it doesn't work on my OMC. I get a message saying 'Cannot Play This Video' - The rest of the app works except the useful bit!! Pity I didn't test it with the stock ROM. All other apps work 100%.

Sorry about all the questions! - I like this ROM a lot.

R

Guest radiodaze

Thanks for the info Ceco. I did try that at the time but I couldn't find it running...maybe because I clicked on the forced close message first? Maybe I missed it. I did notice it running last night but I haven't even used it.

It's now the third day since I flashed this and despite messing about loading apps and getting familiar with the phone the battery still remains in good shape after 72 hours, when in sleep mode the drain is virtually undetectable.

Does the DSP work at all? - if so what setting do you recommend to 'enhance' the sound? Despite your tip I haven't messed with it in case I screw things up! Can I actually use the equaliser?

Will I benefit from the new patch? It seems to run fine for me as is, as does the Flash 10.2/157.3.40 apk I downloaded from the board a few weeks ago. Is your Flash link to another build and is that better?

One app I could get to work properly is RTE News Now. This is a live (not geo locked) news TV channel from Ireland. It uses an Android video protocol and the video works fine on my wife's San Fran. but it doesn't work on my OMC. I get a message saying 'Cannot Play This Video' - The rest of the app works except the useful bit!! Pity I didn't test it with the stock ROM. All other apps work 100%.

Sorry about all the questions! - I like this ROM a lot.

R

UPDATE - Please ignore the comment about RTE News Now. I think this didn't work because of some missing video element / codec? I installed BS Player Lite and now it works fine!

Best

R

You don't need to have the app runinng to clear its data. When in "Manages applications" menu, there is a top bar where

you can select to display All applications. No you will see everything, not just those that are running.

I personally use it only when I'm listening to music. Depending on the headphones I use (Koss Porta Pro at this time) I just set the equalizer

to my preference and let it be and not playing with it too much. Only when I come accross something that is playing some kind of differently than what I was listening to before that (bad recordings, etc) So settings are really up to the users' preferences. The god thing is that if you make some settings they will be preserved even if you reboot.

Patch (you kmean build.prop tweak?) really contains some good tweaks that should make the UI smoother (opening/closing animations, scrolling) and bring even better battery life (deep sleep, wifi scanning interval extended). If I decide to release the new version of the rom in the near future I will add this automatically.

Flash - it's the same one that can be found on this board in a dedicated topic.

BTW, talking about upgrades. My plan is to have upgrades in form of update zip and will only contain modified things. So small files, no need for wipes or factory reset. Looks like this is a good way - I have already done upgrade in such way for slovak version of the ROM from version 1.0 to version 1.1 - the update package had just about 8MB total size :)

Edited by C3C0

Guest radiodaze

You don't need to have the app runinng to clear its data. When in "Manages applications" menu, there is a top bar where

you can select to display All applications. No you will see everything, not just those that are running.

I personally use it only when I'm listening to music. Depending on the headphones I use (Koss Porta Pro at this time) I just set the equalizer

to my preference and let it be and not playing with it too much. Only when I come accross something that is playing some kind of differently than what I was listening to before that (bad recordings, etc) So settings are really up to the users' preferences. The god thing is that if you make some settings they will be preserved even if you reboot.

Patch (you kmean build.prop tweak?) really contains some good tweaks that should make the UI smoother (opening/closing animations, scrolling) and bring even better battery life (deep sleep, wifi scanning interval extended). If I decide to release the new version of the rom in the near future I will add this automatically.

Flash - it's the same one that can be found on this board in a dedicated topic.

BTW, talking about upgrades. My plan is to have upgrades in form of update zip and will only contain modified things. So small files, no need for wipes or factory reset. Looks like this is a good way - I have already done upgrade in such way for slovak version of the ROM from version 1.0 to version 1.1 - the update package had just about 8MB total size :)

OK thanks for that Ceco. I'll give the equaliser a whirl. I will also install the prop tweak and report. BTW, the upgrade zip is exactly what I need. After spending hours tweaking I would hate to blow it all away and effectively 'start again',

I am having no issues with this ROM at all! Video, Voip speaker routing, proximity sensor etc...all the things that drove me insane with the San Fran are working great here.

R

FIX for DSP Manager Force Closes now avialable in the second post.

Well, not really. It works perfect without headset plugged in. As soon as you plug-in the headset

it starts to FC again. Damn it :)

Edited by C3C0

Guest pablitobm88

Hi all

I'm writing from Spain using Google Translate:)

I tried the ROM and so far doing very well, for my use, is comparable to the Atomic and Cyanogen, but I would like to ask several things:

1. Could add AppWidgetPicker? I've added manualment but Cyanogen Atomic and take it as standard, and is something that greatly improves the aesthetics of the rom and I think will be useful to the entire world to reduce the list of wigdets

2. What advice would you give me to work the CPU?

Currently I carry Ondemand, max 902Mhz, 122Mhz and planned sio min. In my case I use the mobile to play, just use it for Internet, social networking and whatsapp

3. Could they be put more clearly visible icons of the status bar? It costs a lot to see good on the outside (I feel the same with the Atomic, but Cyanogen and Z3 Mobile Elite take them much more visible)

Thanks for your work

PS: I put a link to this rom in HTCmania (one of the best smartphones forums in Spain), I hope you do not mind

Edited by pablitobm88

Thank you for the valuable feedback :)

Pushed your ideas into stack and will take them into account when getting together new release.

Regarding overclocking: I also use the combination of Ondemand with bfq timer @ 902 MHz.

A very good setting that gives me great results is: Lagfree + cfq @ 902MHz.

But I have not compared if it eats more battery or not.

Can you give me the link to HTC Mania topic? Thank you.

Ceco.

Guest pablitobm88

Thank you for the valuable feedback :)

Pushed your ideas into stack and will take them into account when getting together new release.

Regarding overclocking: I also use the combination of Ondemand with bfq timer @ 902 MHz.

A very good setting that gives me great results is: Lagfree + cfq @ 902MHz.

But I have not compared if it eats more battery or not.

Can you give me the link to HTC Mania topic? Thank you.

Ceco.

General Information on Skate with roms and accessories section: http://www.htcmania.com/forumdisplay.php?f=543

Post specific about your rom: http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=319031

Also I suggest you look a bit the rest of the forum, there are great developers for all phones and maybe you can get an idea that interests you

In the ROM HTCmania most valued by users for the Skate are the Z3 and Cyanogen, but I'm trying every new rom coming out and I assure you that yours is very well

Hopefully they start talking prontro your rom but the post still has a few hours in the forum