Official Wikipedia app

Guest dialmformostyn

Guest dialmformostyn

One of the upsides to the anti-SOPA blackouts yesterday (aside from fighting for freedom of expression, of course) was that while looking to see if third-party Wikipedia apps would also be affected, I happened across one by developer Wikimedia Foundation... an official Wikipedia app for Android at last? Huzzah!

558kb later and I'm on, well, Wikipedia. There's not a world of difference between the app and the mobile version of the website to be perfectly honest, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. The reason I didn't already have a third-party app installed is that I much prefer the mobile site to any I've used. The official app settings, however, allow languages and font sizes to be switched quickly, as well as pages to be saved to read offline.

It seems fairly snappy and smooth on my Galaxy Nexus, though there seems to be a slight glitch when scrolling through an article where the search bar follows the text briefly, before popping back up to where it should be. It is the first edition of course, and might not even be present on other phones.

If you use Wikipedia a lot, it's a nice tidy application where the few settings available are the ones that really count. As you'd expect it is free, so try it out for yourself from the Android Market.

4ca2091703b4d07d83b9f1d82cf050c3.jpg

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.