An update on TweakDeck

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

UPDATE!

With respect to the below, I sent Twitter a reply saying as requested i'd pulled the app from the Market. They replied:

"Thanks Paul. The team loves your work and I'm working on getting you a contact to help answer questions about the app. Our concern is mainly with the use of the bird as your icon, as this is explicitly not allowed as per our trademark policy."

I asked...

"If I can reinstate the app with a birdless icon and without Tweetdeck in the title, with your blessing, that would be fantastic. :-)"

To which they replied...

"Blessed."

:)

They also re-confirmed that they are working to get me the contact I requested in the TweetDeck Android team. SO... all's well that ends well, TweakDeck will shortly be reinstated with a new icon and modified Market title. Thanks Twitter!

--------------------------------------------------

It is with some regret that I have to tell you that TweakDeck, my fixed and patched version of the TweetDeck application for Android, is no longer available.

As regulars will know, I started the TweakDeck project as a long time fan of TweetDeck, when the release of the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich rendered it unusable on a number of devices. Over the past few weeks I have fixed a lot of functionality on the device, enabled translation and much more. Of course, I would love to have done so with the TweetDeck team's blessing, but since e-mails have gone either unanswered or bounced and DM's (the advised contact method) have also not elicited a response, there was always the danger that Twitter would frown upon my efforts.

And they have.

Unfortunately, this evening I received an e-mail from the 'Global Brand Protection Manager' at Twitter, stating that...

It appears that your app TweakDeck is causing confusion because of your unapproved use of the Twitter bird and your description as "TweetDeck Based".

This is a little bit of a surprise to me as the Market description for TweakDeck clearly states 'THIS APPLICATION IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH TWEETDECK OR TWITTER!' but of course, I completely understand Twitter taking this stance which they are perfectly entitled to do.

With this in mind I have unpublished TweakDeck from the Android Market while, through my new found Twitter contact, I try and obtain permission to re-offer TweakDeck with an icon and name which doesn't risk trademark infringement. I have asked the contact to put me in touch with the TweetDeck Android team and i'll keep you posted on when / if I receive a response.

I'm sorry to disappoint the tens of thousands of TweakDeck users, but I hope we can move forward to find an acceptable solution to keeping TweetDeck alive!

P

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest Psicotix

Real shame. Just the Facebook syncing correctly part made it useful to me. Can't believe that the Tweetdeck team would let their app fall apart so much that Paul has to fix it. Sounds like Twitter didn't bother reading the app description in the market. Or the list of bug fixes...

Guest RobsLegacy

Couldn't you just repackage it and put it back it up? (i.e. loose the bird, and name)

Seriously man, this app saved my life and I just recommended it to 20+ people! Get it back up! It's the whole reason I'm following you guys now, and registered ; )

I think it could use some new features / themes tweaks anyways.

Guest pd.ryder

Yeah - wot they said! Pile-o-crap man! Cant understandbhow / why large corporate bodies decline to respond to requests for input and then resort to legal retribution. Arse biscuits!

Will the current build continue as-is?

Guest redmongoose

This is good news. I've been using it since I got my GN. I much prefer tweetdeck to the offical app.

Glad to see a quick response and a blessing :)

Got to say that I'm impressed with twitters willingness to work with you on this. In these times of tit for tat court cases etc, I expected them to tell you to bugger off.

Guest CMiles1979

Like the blessing.

I'm looking forward to the new logo and name.

Hope you make "former tweakdeck" the best app ever.

I juse tweetdeck from the beginning but i'm still missing the auto @ fill in, # tag remebering and auto location settings.

Hope you implement them. Thumbs up for your work!

wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.