Default Orange Signal Boost App

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I was looking through the zip file for the original Orange rom for the SF2 and extracted all the inbuilt apps, I had read about the "Orange Signal Booster" app which boosts your phone signal using your wifi in your home. I couldn't find it for download from anywhere so I went rummaging about in the rom to find it.

So, if anyone want to install that back in with one of your custom roms, here you go :

http://www.filedropp...gb-23-49341-032

UPDATE: It crashed for me when I tried installing it and running it, gonna try fixing the permissions and investigate, I think it's one of the only useful default apps which we might want to keep around :)

It crashes saying that process com.android.kineto stopped unexpectedly, I did a search for that in the rom zip and the only file I found was "kineto_gan.ko" under system>wifi. From what I can see, there's no such folder on the phone so I can't copy the file over.

UPDATE: Tried pasting it into the modules folder but the app still crashes.

UPDATE: After reading I realised the orange booster app shouldn't be installed but copied over to system>app, I've done this and then restarted the phone, still no joy, it doesn't appear in the app list or in settings.

Any ideas?

I did also find the original launcher if anyone wants that.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest windy_miller

I suspect there is something that it needs in the original ROM in order to work. I would be interested if you caould get this working though. Also, can you find the app that lets you top up your pay as you go account?

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Also, can you find the app that lets you top up your pay as you go account?

That's called Your Orange, you can get that on the Market. Here's the other Orange apps but the booster ain't there :(

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest JohnnyZTE

Business is keeping me really busy at the moment, but when i get time I'll look into this, it'll be great to get it working.

This is my first post, but I have now unlocked and sorted 6 crescents on to fish and chips, love this phone and so does everyone around me.

But the signal booster is something that Orange only use, the application is indeed looking for something else and I believe it is the VPN segment.

it needs the VPN bit to get onto Oranges Network so its still a secured phone-call.

Thats my guess.

PS take it easy on me. :D

Guest Russ_uk

This is my first post, but I have now unlocked and sorted 6 crescents on to fish and chips, love this phone and so does everyone around me.

But the signal booster is something that Orange only use, the application is indeed looking for something else and I believe it is the VPN segment.

it needs the VPN bit to get onto Oranges Network so its still a secured phone-call.

Thats my guess.

PS take it easy on me. :D

I was afraid it was going to be something like that. I was hoping it was going to be a software only issue, but if it is indeed pinging oranges network and not just using the phones WiFi signal guess there's nothing we can do.

Update:

Seams all this is irrelevant anyway as Orange are the only UK network providing a UMA service (which is used to boost the signal)

Edited by Russ_uk

Here you go. Install from recovery with install zip from sdcard.

One note: Just run it once, or you'll be up to your eyeballs in lines reading "nrild.libpath=/system/lib/librilswitch.so" in your default.prop and build.prop. I'm a dirty little boy and it adds them without first checking that they're not there.

*Edit: Gah!

Edited by Fuzzra

Guest Daniel Meah

Here you go. Install from recovery with install zip from sdcard.

One note: Just run it once, or you'll be up to your eyeballs in lines reading "nrild.libpath=/system/lib/librilswitch.so" in your default.prop and build.prop. I'm a dirty little boy and it adds them without first checking that they're not there.

Its stuck with the red icon :(

Looking at the listed device, presumably not. I should have made it clear that it's only of any use if you use Orange. Every stock ROM has to have something worth saving. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have a non Orange SIM in the household to try on another network with, and really don't want to get up from my sofa and hike to somewhere with a terrible signal, but a WIFI network I can use to fully test. That said, I tested it against a virgin install of Fish'n'Chips and I made a call with no problem. You absolutely must be connected to a WIFI network to use it - it switches the transport of your call from the phone network to the internet.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Wow, Good work bud, thanks for that, gonna install it and I'll let you know, I'm on Orange on the SF2

UPDATE: Mine remains on the Red House icon too. Maybe some ingredient missing

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Russ_uk

Wow, Good work bud, thanks for that, gonna install it and I'll let you know, I'm on Orange on the SF2

UPDATE: Mine remains on the Red House icon too. Maybe some ingredient missing

Yup same here, red house is are far as I get.

Looks like I'll have to poke further. Like a numpty I'd thought that splicing the thing in and stopping the force close would be enough, but apparently it's being insolent. I'll delve further when I'm less likely to be murdered for sitting at my desk at this time of night. :/

Well, that was diverting. It turns out that the problem lay in deriving the base for a ROM from a T-Mobile stock. Although I could add the missing files and references until blue in the face, it simply wouldn't give me a green house. It turns out that libril-qc-1.so is almost twice the size from an Orange stock...

The upshot is that I have an all new quick'n'dirty update zip. One which gives a green house.

addorangesignalboost.zip

Guest surferbum

Hi

im on orange with ICS XXLPH firmware...... comes up with error when trying to install zip from sd card on my samsung s2 and aborts ?? It did exactly the same when i tried installing a different zip with signal boost ??

Am i missing something ??? Or doing something wrong ??

any help much appreciated !! thanks

*********** update 25/2/2012

Just thought i would let you know I ended up flashing the I9100BVKJ4_I9100ORAKJ4_I9100BVKJ4_HOME.tar.md5 zip file i found on xda and went onto gingerbread 2.3.5 BVKJ4 and i now have signal boost but have now lost the root to my phone !!!

Does anyone know if i can add custom roms thus still been able to keep " signal boost" ??

thanks

Edited by surferbum