Defy - Will not start - Will not factory reset

Guest nrlp

Hi. Can someone please help as I'm new to this this and would very much like my phone to work again...

My Defy kept restarting approximately 5 seconds after starting up. Without being able to access any settings I tried a factory reset via the on button / volume down button. I'm not sure how long this should have taken but decided after a few hours of nothing more than a yellow dot moving across the screen that it wasn't working! Button presses / screen taps had no affect so I pulled the battery.

On powering it up it now either gets as far as the Moto Blur or T-Mobile logos but just hangs there. Further attempts to factory reset give the same result as the first time.

I've noticed two lines of text when accessing the reset screen which read 'E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command' and 'E:Can't open /cache/recovery/caller'. I think these were present at the first attempt but I'm not totally sure of this.

In case it's relevant the phone shipped with Eclair, I changed this to Froyo using the Motorola software upgrade some months ago, it had been working fine since apart from not saving photos (?).

Apologies for the essay. Can someone please help?