Sky Go for Android update - it's bad news folks

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

When SKY released 'Sky Go' for the iPhone and iPad back in July, Android owners were soon asking 'what about us'?

Sky's initial response was "it's coming in the Winter". This estimate was updated in a press release on 31st January 2012 which stated 'next month', i.e. February.

Early delight amongst the Android community however is now turning sour as more info is coming out of Sky regarding the compatibility list for Sky Go on Android - they have listed just 7 devices for initial release, namely:

• HTC Desire

• HTC Desire S

• HTC Desire HD

• HTC Incredible S

• HTC Sensation

• Samsung Galaxy S

• Samsung Galaxy S2

Further caveats have been also been highlighted in the following post in the Sky help forum, including:

• ICS not initially supported (so no Galaxy Nexus)

• Android 2.2 and 2.3 only

• It will NOT WORK on rooted phones

Sky also state that if any of the above manufacturers release ICS and you upgrade your phone, you are likely to break Sky Go... yesterday's announcement that HTC phones are getting ICS in March couldn’t have come at a worse time if you were thinking of installing the application.

Finally, to add insult to injury, there is no mention of any Android tablet getting Sky Go. Crazy!

I have no idea why Sky are making the application so device specific, Netflix etc don’t seem to have such an approach... I get the feeling this is debacle is going to run and run! :)

[Thanks Zarch1972 for the tip!]

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest AshtonBRSC

Really bad comparison with Netflix. Their app was limited to 5 devices when it was launched in the US. So Sky is beating them by 2 devices ;-)

http://moconews.net/article/419-android-fragmentation-limits-release-of-netflix-mobile-app/

Hopefully, Sky will go the way of Netflix and open the app up over time but Netflix was a bad example to use. I'm sure workaround will be found as well.

My opinion is, if Sky don't want my money, I won't give it to them.

Guest Zarch1972

Apologies AshtonBRSC,

It was my comparison to Netflix that I passed onto Paul...... wasn't aware of its initial closed policy.

Maybe BBC iPlayer would have been a better example? :unsure:

Anyway, it all stinks. I sell on my 2 year old HTC Desire and buy a Galaxy Nexus, only to find SKY won't support my cutting edge device. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.