VegaICS Alpha3

Guest Cass67

VegaICS Beta 1

===============

Fourth release of ICS for the Advent Vega and Shuttle based Family..

Im not usually one for OP's so excuse the lack of pics or other niceties you'd expect.

But a video of installation and basic usage can be found here, thanks gadgetoadicto ..

sorry for not posting the other vids out there .. seems i have a limit of 1 video per post...

You can find the build here :

http://www.mediafire...jr0xi1nsbpuxezv

VegaICS Beta1 MD5

=================

1a5ed3243f147c3d25c0caa1a7568862 - VegaICS-Beta1.exe

Synopsis

========

This is the first Beta build of ICS for the vega and other tabs like it.

This should now be feature complete and deserving of an upgrade from Alpha status.

This is very stable and nice to work in from my point of view, nothing i can see

as major that will prevent you having a nice experience.

Work is based on Android 4.0.3

Features

========

Touchscreen

HW acceleration

SD card

USB host

Bluetooth

A2DP (fixed??)

Wifi

3G (fixed???)

Sound 48khz

HDMI Sound/Video 720p

Sensors

Sleep

HQ video (YouTube, Netflix, etc)

Camera (resumes from sleep, no workarounds)

Mic

120 DPI Launcher fixed

CWM recovery with no stale boot

Advanced Power Menu (some of it anyway ;) see not working for details )

Add the shuttle tools apk for usb host

GPS libs added

Calendar / Gallery Gapps

Dictionary added

Remove G-earth / GMaps (you can download them)

Add a file manager

Recovery reboot app

tun.ko added for VPN

Apps2SD Fixed

Latest Gapps 120dpi supported

Browser settings modified showing settings advanced -> uagent

In Progress

===========

Sleep problem relating to WiFi

3G, let us know if it works, if not provide logcat and dmesg. Should

work fine for data, voice and sms will require an Android recompile to

add those features, no time to do right now, will do later once 3G is

confirmed to work, i dont have it so cant test.

Slow sound in Skype, 48khz sound should fix it .. feedback required ..

Power menu options need fixed / removed

Strangeness

===========

Wifi should work fine now, a new library and framework has been created

to enable Wifi to work properly .. However .. Wifi is slow to resume from

sleep.. you may have to toggle Wifi off/on to have it resume .. If you wait

it returns no problems.. its just a bit slow.

Not working

===========

Advanced Power menu on shutdown has some options that dont work

Reboot to recovery

Reboot to bootloader

Aeroplane mode (does not come out of it as i seen)

Ill get to fixing / removing these at a later date

Installing

==========

This Beta build is in NVflash format only, i could not be bothered yet

to create a CWM update file yet as its still to early for me to care

for that.. Just execute this in the normal fashion from windows.

Or extract it and do from linux for all you penguin lovers out there..

Recommendations

===============

Backup current files / data as this image will wipe it all

Devs

====

Cass -- VegaICS and some other stuff.

ejtagle -- Fantastic kernel work /core libs and sage like advice

Thanks

======

Paul O'Brien from Modaco for the Vega when mine went boom

Lareeth for his reboot to recovery app

Shaizer for his VegaICS splash screen

Others who provided splashscreens .. thanks too .. keep at it i may use them yet

DVTonder for his Advanced power menu code

MrDeadlocked for his fix to make DVTonders menu appear on our tabs

the3dman via MrDeadlocked for the 120dpi launcher fix

MrGuy for the info on Mic sound duplex fix

Wooshy1/Areo/scanno for the recovery image (no stale boot on most tabs)

brucelee666 for the random reboot fix, ueventd fix

Scanno for the touch recovery

The community for all the feedback and testing

Anyone else i spoke to i missed here (Sorry and a BIG THANK YOU)

Features

=======

Most of the large dirs in /system are now squashfs files, this is to save on space.

You need to use squashfs with gzip support if you are to play with them. Kernel must

also have squashfs support included.

The dir that contains WiFi firmware and kernel module has been relocated to /system/etc/misc/

this is to ensure of the minimum file size of any update we make to the kernel and provide to you.. It makes not difference as its linked back to its proper place.

tun.ko for vpn can be found in /system/etc/misc/ too, linked back to the proper place.

For all other libs you need to add, add them to /system/vendor/lib, they will be picked up.

Enjoy !!! Feedback welcome !!!

Rgds

Cass

Donate - ejtagle

Here

Donate - Cass

If ejtagle makes his million with donations, im sure he'll help me out .. he deserves your gratitude ..

Thanks for any donations you send ..

OEM's

=====

Be polite -- if you want to use this ROM .. contact me .. we can work something out .. if you just take it .. we will know :)

Edited by Cass67

Loving this from. Had only the one issue with wifi dropping when coming out of sleep. its done it a few times but the rest of the from is so good I have decided to live with it. Awesome thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevehoot

Just brought one off eBay for £130 on the strength of the modding community. Used MoDaCo for baking custom HTC Desire ROM's in the past so just renewed my adfree (only fair if going to use this!) and when the Vega arrives tomorrow I'll slap VegaICS Alpha 3 with Update 2 on it straightaway and let you know how it goes.

Big thanks to everyone for doing this.

Guest stevehoot

Oh - if there's any instructions on how to make a CWM package I'll happily spend some time in making it based on the Alpha3U2 build. Just need someone to point me in the right direction to get me started! :D

Guest xathras

Oh - if there's any instructions on how to make a CWM package I'll happily spend some time in making it based on the Alpha3U2 build. Just need someone to point me in the right direction to get me started! :D

This is the right direction ----> http://forum.xda-dev...=717437&page=26

also here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4FXheH9uo

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtIfW081Jc&feature=related

Edited by xathras

Guest HypoTurtle

Is a full CWM image even a possibility, due to the partition layout would the user not require to at least nvflash the correct partition layout for ICS? An update CWM (of update2) would be fine, but is a CWM file of the whole ROM even a viable possibility?

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi

I backed up ICS Alpha 3+ update via CWM and then tried to restore when running Modded stock 1.10v2 as a test.

All I ended up with was a boot looping initial screen before the IÇS logo. Alpha 2 restored with no problems but,

then 3 is a new build.

Just my observations.

Stransky

Is a full CWM image even a possibility, due to the partition layout would the user not require to at least nvflash the correct partition layout for ICS? An update CWM (of update2) would be fine, but is a CWM file of the whole ROM even a viable possibility?

Yes its possible, ive just no time right now to do it ....

Post 1 updated with VegaICS Beta 1 ... Read all and feedback for the new stuff .. Wifi, 3G, A2DP, Skype slow Audio etc ...

Cheers

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest Stokesy-
Post 1 updated with VegaICS Beta 1 ... Read all and feedback for the new stuff .. Wifi, 3G, A2DP, Skype slow Audio etc ...

Cheers

Cass

Top man Cass, thanks.

Edited by Stokesy-

Guest Micronics

Very nice. Alpha 3 Hung up my Tablet, was unable to restore until I completely drained it and removed all drivers on my windows system. Now I updated to Beta 1 and am very happy. I only have one strange issue: The tablet is often not only going to sleep, but really in shutdown. Even though I do not select it in the menu that pops up right after short pressing sleep.

How I enter sleep:

Short press Sleep (Menu pops up)

tab with finger besides menu

Short press Sleep again (Now enters sleep)

When I wake up by short pressing sleep button It wakes up if I just put it to sleep. If I wait a couple of hours it just doesn;'t come out of sleep. I have to long press (2sec) the sleep button to actually boot it. Does any1 else have this strange behaviour? That it goes from sleep to shutdown by itself after a longer period of sleeping?

Guest Cass67

Very nice. Alpha 3 Hung up my Tablet, was unable to restore until I completely drained it and removed all drivers on my windows system. Now I updated to Beta 1 and am very happy. I only have one strange issue: The tablet is often not only going to sleep, but really in shutdown. Even though I do not select it in the menu that pops up right after short pressing sleep.

How I enter sleep:

Short press Sleep (Menu pops up)

tab with finger besides menu

Short press Sleep again (Now enters sleep)

When I wake up by short pressing sleep button It wakes up if I just put it to sleep. If I wait a couple of hours it just doesn;'t come out of sleep. I have to long press (2sec) the sleep button to actually boot it. Does any1 else have this strange behaviour? That it goes from sleep to shutdown by itself after a longer period of sleeping?

yes its known ....

Guest Therezin

Fantastic ROM, it just works! Runs better than Vegacomb (at least on my tablet), and the only issue I've come across so far is the WiFi problem mentioned in the OP. The only thing I'd change (apart from the slow WiFi resume, but I assume you're looking into that) is that the taskbar along the bottom seems to be twice as high as the Honeycomb one. I'm assuming that's just an ICS thing though, so I'll just get used to it! :-D

Guest Scanno
Fantastic ROM, it just works! Runs better than Vegacomb (at least on my tablet), and the only issue I've come across so far is the WiFi problem mentioned in the OP. The only thing I'd change (apart from the slow WiFi resume, but I assume you're looking into that) is that the taskbar along the bottom seems to be twice as high as the Honeycomb one. I'm assuming that's just an ICS thing though, so I'll just get used to it! :-D

That is because the dpi is set at 160, while vegacomb is set at 120. The native dpi for the vega is 160.