Unlocked OSF2 (White) - cannot now make calls

Guest rrsuk

Got an OSF2 in White delivered on Monday. Unlocked it without problem (or so I thought) - I did a black one just before Christmas using the same process. Data works fine - can browse the net, get email etc., but sending SMS fails and attempting to make a call ends immediately with "Call Ended" - no ringtone or anything. Cannot receive calls either - they go right to voicemail. Tried installing a different ROM (was using r1_de-branded_blade2-update-signed - have now tried the fish and chips rom too) - but same behavior.

Wondering if anyone else has recently unlocked a white OSF2 or seen this problem? Maybe Orange have changed something in the most recent models?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Have you checked whether it works properly when reverted to a stock ROM?

If not, try installing one of those, and see if the problem persists. If it does, you may want to try the handset update tool from ZTE and revert with that.

If only using the ZTE handset update tool makes it work properly, could you then use fastboot to install a version of CWM recovery, make a backup, and upload it (zipped) somewhere to be pulled apart and chewed over?

After all this, if nothing makes it hold on to a call in a strong signal area, I would begin to suspect a hardware fault.

Guest richardsloggett

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.

I tried reverting to stock ROM and using the handset utility - still same result.

Got on the phone to Orange, imagining that this was a hardware fault. Much to my surprise they said (more or less) "Yeah, this is because we locked the handset for transit - to stop couriers from reselling handsets - we do it to a random few". Didn't quite believe it, but sure enough half an hour later the handset is working fine. I should stress that neither the Orange SIM or another network SIM were able to send/receive calls or send/receive SMS, but the data worked fine - and after Orange unlocked the handset calls and SMS on both Orange and the other network SIM are now working fine. Hope this helps some of the other "random few" that Orange decide to drive nuts for 2 days :)

Thanks again for the advice - it's great to know there are people willing to offer advice in a pickle.

Guest windy_miller

My phone was locked out when it arrived too. Took me about 3 or 4 phone calls to Orange to get it working. I wanted to make sure it was working before I went fiddling with the ROMs though.

Mine was locked out too. I didn't plan on de branding until the phone was up and running. Plus the roms were still early in development so my choice was made for me really.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest user_SF2

Hi,

One of my friend will buy SF2 for me and I'm going to use it here in India after unlocking. What you guys suggest ..should i ask my friend to make sure that the phone is able to make or receive calls using the Orange Sim provided in the BOX ?

and If it is working on Orange Sim then it is not going to be an issue to unlock right ?

Thanks in advance.