Actually, I used SOME of the instructions here.
Not the backup part (Me no use Windozes)
Using a VM, I was able to flash the 'unlock' portion (Since I use T-Mobile here in the US, I had to. There are a few more steps to get non-ATT carriers working))
But from there, I went on my own.**Note: I can only say this works for the US AT&T Avail Z990. I do not know if it will work on the Merit or the Z990g **** Use/follow at your own risk!!!! You brick it/break it/make it useless, it's YOUR fault ****
Here's what I did:
- Used the "T card" method to get to a easily rooted ROM
- After that boots, I sign in to Google (Since I didn't do the backup/restore, I have no wifi. We'll fix that in a few)
- Went to settings > Applications > Development and enabled ADB
- Downloaded from the Play Store : Superuser and Absolute System Root Tools (DO NOT RUN YET. Just install them)
- Entered the *983*7668# code to get root started
- Ran Superuser, and UPDATE IT
- Now, I ran Absolute. Say "Allow" when Superuser asks. Then, I clicked on the "File Browser", went to /system/etc, clicked the "nv_4319.txt" file, and where the MAC addresses are, I commented ("#" if front of the one that doesn't have it) and uncommented the other MAC address (removed the "#" from in front)
- Went to the wireless settings, shut off wifi, then back on, and was then able to get my wireless going
So, now I'm rooted, sim unlocked, and on wifi.
If all you need is root, try the code, then install/run/update Superuser. That's usually all you need. If it doesn't work, you may need to T-Card to get a ROM where the code works.
If you need a different carrier, or APN settings changed, "Skip" the login step, change/add your APN settings, then add your 'sync account' for Google and the Play Store