31 replies to this topic

jorrddan

jorrddan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:zte z990
Hi, thanks for the cool description!
I have problem with rooting, when I start adb.windows.exe, cmd window shows for a second and than close himself.
cmd not recognized command adb and show me error.
I'm sure that the problem in me, but I don't know how to resolve.
Please help me!
Thanks!

jcase

jcase

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Mike,

Congratulations for learning to copy and paste, next time your steal my work please attach my name to it, ie so it's not theft anymore. I actually spent hours breaking down the system applications, and going through them line by line to find this bug, and all I want is accreditation for my work. Thats it.

Original publication (modified versions were posted elsewhere in various forums)
http://www.androidpo...sy-root-access/

After quite some time searching the net for details on this great phone, I though I'd have enough data to start a new set of HowTo's.
I couldn't find a forum for the Z990, so I posted here - if anybody feels, this needs to be moved elsewhere, please go ahead.

All these Howto's have been tested by myself, however, these come with no guarantee whatsoever. I will not be responsible for any damage to your equipment!
Proceed with caution, there's a chance you might brick your phone!

Let's start with the most interesting HowTo:

HowTo unlock a ZTE-Z990

This set of instructions is mostly based on the steps outlined in other ZTE device related posts, but it takes some different sets of files to succeed.

Part I: save your Wifi settings
- Google for "QPST 2.7 366", download, install
- Set your phone to FTM mode (turn off, hold vol down & power for 5 seconds, display will show FTM)
- Connect your phone to USB port
- From the QPST program folder, run Software Download
- Select Backup tab, then hit Start
- You now have a file containing a backup of your NVRAM, including the WIFI MAC address. Note the file name and folder of the backup file
- Close "Software Download", right-click the globe icon in the status bar, select "Stop QPST server"

Part II: flash the device
- Get the flasher tool, extract to a folder of your choice, e.g. c:\flasher
- Get the v1.0.0B29 firmware package, extract to c:\flasher\files
- Start Unlock.exe. The status below the Start button should be "Ready".
- Hit Start. This will take 5-10 minutes. Be patient, do not interrupt the process! The phone will restart at ~98%, and switch back to FTM. Wait for completion!
- Close the flasher tool.

Part III: restore Wifi settings
- Open "Software Download" again.
- This time, select "Restore". Enter the name and folder of the qcn file you just generated.
- Hit Start to write back settings to the phone

Done! Your phone is now unlocked, and will accept any SIM of your choice!

Let's move on...

HowTo root a ZTE-Z990

Does not require any prerequisites.
This is the long way, I'm sure there are simpler solutions. Should you have any, please feel free to share with us.
- Boot the phone, enable USB debugging in Applications->Development->USB-Debugging
- Download this package
- Extract
- Open a shell and run adb-windows.exe devices, it should list a P736T. If it doesn't, make sure drivers are installed.
- now type these commands:
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs (ignore any errors)
- adb shell mkdir /data/local/logs
- adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/loglast1.tar.gz
- Use your Z990's dialer to enter *983*7668# and wait, but DON'T PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON. Then wait 10 seconds. This enables root access.
- adb shell echo \"ro.kernel.qemu=1\" > /data/local.prop
- adb reboot
- Wait for the phone to reboot, then type
- adb push su /system/xbin/su
- adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
- adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
- adb shell rm /data/local.prop
- adb shell rm /data/property/persist.sys.ztelog.enable
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/rwsystag

Now the phone is rooted, and you are ready to install the Superuser app from the Market.

HowTo change the Bootlogo and sound on a ZTE-Z990

This requires root access.
Get this package, unpack to your phone's sdcard.
The animation is removed, only a still AT&T logo is displayed. In addition, the annoying noise is replaced by a blank mp3 file.
Now use root explorer to copy the Bootsound.mp3 and bootanimation.zip to the below locations.

/system/media/audio/ui/Bootsound.mp3
/system/media/bootanimation.zip

Thanks
MikeFM

Package mirrors
Flasher tool package
v1.0.0B29 stock firmware package
Root package
Bootlogo package

Edited by jcase, 11 August 2012 - 09:56 PM.

mikefm

mikefm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
jcase,

thanks for providing the link to this "original" post - I hadn't seen that before. This referenced post (is that yours? I read it was written by some Cameron Summerson) only touches the rooting process, using codes that are known from previous ZTE phone models. Plus it uses some obvious linux commands to work on the file system :D

I was working on this HowTo for three weeks, experimenting with bits and pieces I found on the web, e.g. translating some russian forum posts, and finding the z990 relevant files to enable the process of unlocking.
I don't think I violated any hacker's copyrights, since I created a new howto document from scratch, documenting the obvious and relevant steps and tools.

You're constructive contribution to this thread is very much appreciated.

Mike

MrNeil

MrNeil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
is the att avail the same as a zte blade gen 2 ?? i've ran Mr PigFish and it states that its a blade gen 2. If its a blade or a skate, that would be fantastic due to heaps of community support. Nothing online has confirmed it as a zte blade though

Marlboro Man

Marlboro Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This is complete BS. I tried this stuff and it doesn't do what you say. I got the FTM and that's it. Nothing about a "Backup" or any of that other garbage. This thread is useless. We need someone that really knows how to unlock these POS phones.

Edited by Marlboro Man, 21 September 2012 - 01:39 AM.

MrNeil

MrNeil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This method does work. I've got my AT&T avail working on Telstra in Australia using this method.

nedhed

nedhed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE-Z990
I was able to successfully unlock my phone using your instructions. Thanks!!

I have been unable to root it using your instructions. I believe my problem is that the code (*983*7668#) entered through the dialer doesn't seem to put my phone in root mode and the next command then fails with "permission denied" error. I'm new to rooting a phone, and I'm sure its me, as others aren't having trouble. Should the phone do something after I enter the code to let me know its working??

Any help??
Thanks

Edited by nedhed, 04 November 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Phydeux721

Phydeux721

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Z990 Avail
Actually, I used SOME of the instructions here.

But...

Not the backup part (Me no use Windozes)

Using a VM, I was able to flash the 'unlock' portion (Since I use T-Mobile here in the US, I had to. There are a few more steps to get non-ATT carriers working))

But from there, I went on my own.

**Note: I can only say this works for the US AT&T Avail Z990. I do not know if it will work on the Merit or the Z990g **
** Use/follow at your own risk!!!! You brick it/break it/make it useless, it's YOUR fault ****

Here's what I did:
  • Used the "T card" method to get to a easily rooted ROM
  • After that boots, I sign in to Google (Since I didn't do the backup/restore, I have no wifi. We'll fix that in a few)
  • Went to settings > Applications > Development and enabled ADB
  • Downloaded from the Play Store : Superuser and Absolute System Root Tools (DO NOT RUN YET. Just install them)
  • Entered the *983*7668# code to get root started
  • Ran Superuser, and UPDATE IT
  • Now, I ran Absolute. Say "Allow" when Superuser asks. Then, I clicked on the "File Browser", went to /system/etc, clicked the "nv_4319.txt" file, and where the MAC addresses are, I commented ("#" if front of the one that doesn't have it) and uncommented the other MAC address (removed the "#" from in front)
  • Went to the wireless settings, shut off wifi, then back on, and was then able to get my wireless going
So, now I'm rooted, sim unlocked, and on wifi.

If all you need is root, try the code, then install/run/update Superuser. That's usually all you need. If it doesn't work, you may need to T-Card to get a ROM where the code works.

If you need a different carrier, or APN settings changed, "Skip" the login step, change/add your APN settings, then add your 'sync account' for Google and the Play Store

downloadbob

downloadbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Z990
New here and looking to unlock AT&T Avail ZTE-Z990. Following the instructions and got Part I done without much issue.

Part II was giving me some trouble: Downloaded and extracted the flasher tool to C:\flasher. Downloaded and extracted the firmware package to C:\flasher\files.

When I started Unlock.exe, I got a popup that says 'Fail to find "RecordCSV.sdi', please select setup folder." I was unable to locate this file anywhere on my system or inside any of the files I had downloaded.

I took a chance (thinking this may be some kind of "error log" file) and made a copy of the "WCDMA-DL_Setting.cfg" file and renamed the copy to "RecordCSV.sdi". Unlock.exe this time started with no popups and "Ready" was shown below the "Start" button. Pressed "Start" and crossed my fingers.

After a few minutes, the progress bar got to 99% and the phone rebooted into FTM mode. It never did finish 100%, so I unplugged it and completed Part III then rebooted the phone to check if it was unlocked.

Put in a few different SIMs and it appears to be working! The SIMs I have are for overseas use, but at least I'm no longer getting a message for the unlock code anymore, My new T-Mobile SIM is micro so until I get an adapter, I can't really fully test it.

Just thought I'd add this tidbit to the discussion in case someone else is trying to unlock this phone. Remember, YMMV and good luck!

DownloadBob

Edited by downloadbob, 15 November 2012 - 01:20 PM.

StefanEU

StefanEU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE 990
I had problems with this too because of a missing driver and nothing worked even after downloading many different drivers. This works, with this sofware package so the driver for the phone in FTM mode works.After installing that software but not updating it, ADD the port in QPST Configuration and add the port the phone is on. After that it should be straight forward.

I'm on W7 64bit.

Attached Files

Edited by StefanEU, 24 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

micallan_17

micallan_17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Merit unlocked
  • Twitter:@twindos17
This works for the ZTE Merit, it's a pain to do but we have successfully done this

tonyxboy

tonyxboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:iphone 3gs

how can i fix "error loading type library/dll??

fb plss..asap :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users