7 days since the last post.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi, I don't mean to be rude. But I have been spending more time over at XDA, purely because the dev of my current ROM has a thread there. So I was surprised to discover that it's been 7 days since the last post in this forum.

What gives? Anil

Guest sane?

I think the issue is that most people's attention is on ICS, and thus by extension CM9 at the moment. Gingerbread and CM7 are coming to the end and most people have mentally said "I'll leave it as is until I can install ICS safely".

There's no discussion here on ICS, so discussion in general is falling away.

Maybe Paul would like to give an update on what he knows of LG ICS, or maybe look at CM9. The "Nova HD Plus" ROM, based on the Kang has reached a late alpha stage, although all LG ICS ROMs seem to suffer the same lack of media coding capability (wish someone would fix that). Thing about that particular ROM is the AROMA install (something like a Linux package manager) that allows for similar functionality to the Kitchen at install time - maybe Paul could consider something along those lines?

Guest Ferrum Master

Total desert here... the most hustle is going on XDA... no independent dev is here in O2X section so yes... Dead Man Walking...

Guest Anil K Solanki

I think the issue is that most people's attention is on ICS, and thus by extension CM9 at the moment. Gingerbread and CM7 are coming to the end and most people have mentally said "I'll leave it as is until I can install ICS safely".

There's no discussion here on ICS, so discussion in general is falling away.

Maybe Paul would like to give an update on what he knows of LG ICS, or maybe look at CM9. The "Nova HD Plus" ROM, based on the Kang has reached a late alpha stage, although all LG ICS ROMs seem to suffer the same lack of media coding capability (wish someone would fix that). Thing about that particular ROM is the AROMA install (something like a Linux package manager) that allows for similar functionality to the Kitchen at install time - maybe Paul could consider something along those lines?

Total desert here... the most hustle is going on XDA... no independent dev is here in O2X section so yes... Dead Man Walking...

Thanks guys, I've been running ICS for a few weeks now, and it's great. Amazing considering it's still in Alpha. I'm using owain94's kang, which is what Nova is based on. It's been a year this month that I switched over to ANDROID. A great year, which all started with the ZTE Blade, and this forum.

Have fun. Anil

Guest vrowdy

I'm also waiting for a (more) stable ICS version which can at least also record video. LG is working on it, many devs are working on it, perhaps Nvidia will perform a miracle and release some required driver sources...

I'm quite happy with CM7.2RC0 for the moment, mod installed so the digital compass also works...

So, aside from some minor things it's working just fine.

That's why it's quite quiet on the forums over here.

Guest Anil K Solanki

I'm also waiting for a (more) stable ICS version which can at least also record video. LG is working on it, many devs are working on it, perhaps Nvidia will perform a miracle and release some required driver sources...

I'm quite happy with CM7.2RC0 for the moment, mod installed so the digital compass also works...

So, aside from some minor things it's working just fine.

That's why it's quite quiet on the forums over here.

Hi vrowdy, I'm sorry to say that LG have stated that NVIDIA will not be releasing Tegra 2 Harmony drivers any time soon, if ever. LG also stated they cannot release the drivers because the drivers are proprietary and the property of NVIDIA. This was said on the NVIDIA dev forum. No big deal, smart phones/devices are here to stay. My next purchase will be a more informed one. Probably a a pure Google device, but my O2X has plenty of life left in it yet.

Have fun. Anil

Guest vrowdy

Hi vrowdy, I'm sorry to say that LG have stated that NVIDIA will not be releasing Tegra 2 Harmony drivers any time soon, if ever. LG also stated they cannot release the drivers because the drivers are proprietary and the property of NVIDIA. This was said on the NVIDIA dev forum. No big deal, smart phones/devices are here to stay. My next purchase will be a more informed one. Probably a a pure Google device, but my O2X has plenty of life left in it yet.

Have fun. Anil

I fully agree with you on that, I won't buy an LG phone again.... Or they must really amaze me with the upcoming ICS release for the O2X. But it's already taking quite long again, same as with Gingerbread. I really do hope the will release something good this time around.

Guest Anil K Solanki

I fully agree with you on that, I won't buy an LG phone again.... Or they must really amaze me with the upcoming ICS release for the O2X. But it's already taking quite long again, same as with Gingerbread. I really do hope the will release something good this time around.

Hi vrowdy, I wanted to be clear on something. This current situation is totally NVIDIA's fault. They are the ones withholding drivers not LG. I only bought my O2X because it had CyanogenMod support. Software is what makes a great tech experience. LG by all accounts make crappy software. I can't actually speak from experience because, 5 mins after I opened the box for my new O2X, I rooted it and flashed CyanogenMod 7.

So perhaps you should be more wary of NVIDIA based devices than LG devices. Ultimately it's the software that matters. Even my low speced ZTE Blade was great because of CyanogenMod. Recently I had a 5 day trip to the UK. Whilst in my hotel, I used my O2X to play a HD video via HDMI to the TV, whilst at the same time providing a wireless internet access point for my Transformer tablet. Which it did flawlessly.

This is why NVIDIA are withholding drivers. They need to sell new Tegra 3 devices, but it needs to look like these new devices are better and faster. But they aint.

This is one area that Apple cannot be beat. They Make the whole 'widget', the hardware and the software. Both of which work beautifully together. The caveat is that you have to buy their hardware. Which is why they don't need to keep releasing new 'mega' hardware. Like HTC, SAMSUNG et al.

How do we as ANDROID users get the best tech experience? Stay as close to Google as possible, they make half the widget already. If you could buy hardware that was made by Google, then you'd have the complete widget, and no more of this bull s***, as with NVIDIA. Time will tell if the hardware integration side of the widget improves with Google's acquisition of MOTOROLA Mobility.

As always. Have fun. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest kruppin

Hi vrowdy, I wanted to be clear on something. This current situation is totally NVIDIA's fault. They are the ones withholding drivers not LG. I only bought my O2X because it had CyanogenMod support. Software is what makes a great tech experience. LG by all accounts make crappy software. I can't actually speak from experience because, 5 mins after I opened the box for my new O2X, I rooted it and flashed CyanogenMod 7.

So perhaps you should be more wary of NVIDIA based devices than LG devices. Ultimately it's the software that matters. Even my low speced ZTE Blade was great because of CyanogenMod. Recently I had a 5 day trip to the UK. Whilst in my hotel, I used my O2X to play a HD video via HDMI to the TV, whilst at the same time providing a wireless internet access point for my Transformer tablet. Which it did flawlessly.

This is why NVIDIA are withholding drivers. They need to sell new Tegra 3 devices, but it needs to look like these new devices are better and faster. But they aint.

This is one area that Apple cannot be beat. They Make the whole 'widget', the hardware and the software. Both of which work beautifully together. The caveat is that you have to buy their hardware. Which is why they don't need to keep releasing new 'mega' hardware. Like HTC, SAMSUNG et al.

How do we as ANDROID users get the best tech experience? Stay as close to Google as possible, they make half the widget already. If you could buy hardware that was made by Google, then you'd have the complete widget, and no more of this bull s***, as with NVIDIA. Time will tell if the hardware integration side of the widget improves with Google's acquisition of MOTOROLA Mobility.

As always. Have fun. Anil

Yeah, the reason why CM is slow (hard for the devs) to update is Nvidias fault. But it's LG's fault that the updates from themself is buggy, and that's the biggest drawback of this phone. If it's the hardware that's at fault or that they never can get it right in the software-department I don't know. But it is however a fact that this phone is not stable, it disconnects (calls, data and even from the cell-towers), it locks up and so on. I've tried both CM and LG's versions and for me LG's is actually better because it doesn't disconnect as much (worse in every other aspect though). CM is maybe limited by lg's binaries. Arcee is a god being able to do what he's done, but it's hard to fix faulty hardware (or low-level software and/or binaries)

Yeah, I agree, our phone is great for that sort of things with CM installed but without one, for me atleast, VITAL functionallity - being able to talk on the phone without problems. And until it can perform that function without troubles it just isn't a phone. Adn even though I very much would like the new 4x for the screen, I just can't buy it. Atleast not until I've heard it works. :P Maybe the new HTC is okay.

Ofc it isn't the reason why they are withholding drivers, becasue Tegra 3 IS more powerful. Alot more actually. But for most people tegra 2 is just powerful enough.

Sure sure, Apple is ok, but they, like you say, don't really have that good harware, atleast in my eyes. And you can only choose that one phone, or that one pad. (and the older ones ofc) And their software is, while stable, not that very rich in funtions. But I don't want to anger a apple fan, so I'll just say it isn't for me. ;)

Yes, Android users should stay with nexus if they want fast updates and google pulling the strings on hardware configs and such and thereby geting a stable phone. One could however hope that things'll get better and hardware-makers will put more effort in supporting their hardware. And actually, I think they have. Been getting better that is. :P

Guest Anil K Solanki

Yeah, the reason why CM is slow (hard for the devs) to update is Nvidias fault. But it's LG's fault that the updates from themself is buggy, and that's the biggest drawback of this phone. If it's the hardware that's at fault or that they never can get it right in the software-department I don't know. But it is however a fact that this phone is not stable, it disconnects (calls, data and even from the cell-towers), it locks up and so on. I've tried both CM and LG's versions and for me LG's is actually better because it doesn't disconnect as much (worse in every other aspect though). CM is maybe limited by lg's binaries. Arcee is a god being able to do what he's done, but it's hard to fix faulty hardware (or low-level software and/or binaries)

Hi kruppin, maybe it's because I'm a late O2X adopter, I bought mine in September last year, but I have never had any of the issues you have described. Either with CM7, or currently with CM9. The hardware works perfectly. I'm sorry you have had issues.

The point I was making about Apple, is that Apple is a software company. A very good software company, that has also made very good hardware. LG is a hardware company, that has just in the past few years started making skins, and OS tweaks for another operating system they use, ANDROID. LG haven't got a clue how to write decent software, and it shows.

Anyone who buys an ANDROID phone purely on the hardware specs, is walking down a blind alley. Pick your software first, then find hardware that will run it. Or stick with a pure Google device.

Have fun. Anil

Guest vulpy

It's been a while now since I haven t touched my O2X... Im now fully focused on my Galaxy Nexus. This is not to say SGN is a perfect phone, far from that. Call it pure Google experience but when your phone gets corrupted beyond repair with no reason and you have to flash it all together (happened twice in a month), I wonder...The most stable phone to date for me is the Blade, never-ever failed on me. Kudos to Qualcomm and their rocks solid platform, that's my guess.Still waiting for THAT ics built to make my O2X lovable again. Peace!

Guest mankian

Thing is, the o2x is a year old now... I've nearly had mine a year (seems like yesterday but then again so does a lot of things!). A lot of enthusiasts (like the devs) would have moved on to newer devices by now. A lot of people still using the o2x are people who took 2 year contracts (like me) and who are also not willing to spend lots of money upgrading early.

There is also little to develop. Theres cyanogenmod 7 which is now rock solid if you dont mess around with other kernels and oc/uv and Cyanogenmod 9 in the pipeline. When its released it may start a little more activity on o2x forums as it'll be almost like a new phone (kinda).

The o2x has been a bit crap though. Very unreliable. Next phone I think will be a Samsung or Nexus. Even though Android is a bit buggy I'd still rather go without a phone at all before buying apple.

oh and also, If anyone knows any decent FREE weather apps or root explorers let me know ;)

Guest Anil K Solanki

Thing is, the o2x is a year old now... I've nearly had mine a year (seems like yesterday but then again so does a lot of things!). A lot of enthusiasts (like the devs) would have moved on to newer devices by now. A lot of people still using the o2x are people who took 2 year contracts (like me) and who are also not willing to spend lots of money upgrading early.

There is also little to develop. Theres cyanogenmod 7 which is now rock solid if you dont mess around with other kernels and oc/uv and Cyanogenmod 9 in the pipeline. When its released it may start a little more activity on o2x forums as it'll be almost like a new phone (kinda).

The o2x has been a bit crap though. Very unreliable. Next phone I think will be a Samsung or Nexus. Even though Android is a bit buggy I'd still rather go without a phone at all before buying apple.

oh and also, If anyone knows any decent FREE weather apps or root explorers let me know ;)

Hi, sorry to hear your O2X is unreliable. I bought mine in AUGUST contract free, and it's been very reliable on CM7. I'm currently running CM9 by a kanger over on XDA. That too is excellent. With the known caveat's, such as HD camcorder and I think the radio not working. Other than that, I'm just happy to have the new version of Gmail, and the new calendar application.

I think it's interesting to see the user expected OS update cycle, is so different to a desktop OS update cycle. ICS is nice, but not hugely different to Gingerbread, with the stuff you can do. Just more polish and consistency. Nothing earth shattering.

Have fun. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

• 2 months later...
Guest SuperSkill

Hi, I don't mean to be rude. But I have been spending more time over at XDA, purely because the dev of my current ROM has a thread there. So I was surprised to discover that it's been 7 days since the last post in this forum.

What gives? Anil

Not 7 days anymore, I believe it will get back alive here, I released my first theme here, my best friend Carburano will release his amazing stock rom Django Manouche here too now. Ok, so we should also get Spica1234 to release his kernels here, ive mentioned it to him, I think he will soon. Adrenaline Force based on Spicas toolchain released here as well. Im getting this toolchain too now, and I hope and think I will make some good kernels based on it and with my also best friend Spica`s guidance. So I hereby challenge every dev or user who have good news, anything new, to post it here and get MoDaCo Optimus back in the state it was a few months ago. Also, thanks to Tillaz for not giving up and releasing his work here :)

Guest everett_psycho

I have to say that my o2x has become hard work, I need to test some stuff to see if its fixable using a nrw baseband or ics rom but it keeps erroring with wifi and losing the mobile connection. Its very tempting to just get a contract and get a new one x or Samsung s3 but I've got to at least get to 12 months with this thing before moving on.