Asus TF101 Ice Cream Sandwich issues

Guest Mark Dearlove

Guest Mark Dearlove

I was one of the many Transformer owners eagerly waiting for the Ice Cream Sandwich update to arrive on my Transformer a couple of weeks ago. When it arrived I had it downloaded and installed very quickly... then I started to notice some issues. After the problems Asus have faced with their updates to the Transformer Prime you would hope that their testing processes had been improved. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case - once again consumers are being treated as beta testers but without knowing it.

The main issue I have been seeing on my Transformer is the tablet going into a reboot loop. It only seems to happen when the tablet is docked with the keyboard but not plugged into the power supply. Sometimes it just loops on the initial boot screen until the battery runs out, sometimes it goes a little further and then hangs. The only solution seems to be to hold the power button for a good 10-15 seconds, then turn it back on.

Asus have acknowledged the issue on their Facebook feed and they have said that an update is on the way, but there is no specific date other than 'sometime next week'.

Asus said:

Thank you to everyone who has given us feedback regarding the ICS TF101 update.We apologise for the issues some users have been experiencing and we'd like to assure you all that we are working on a fix. We don't have an exact date for release yet but we're aiming for early next week.

Other issues users are seeing are low volume, screen flickers, unstable wifi and GPS connections and Skype no longer working.

How are you MoDaCo Transformer users getting on? Any other issues you are seeing? Let us know in the comments.

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest unfnknblvbl

It worked a treat for me on my B70 model. However, cm9 nightlies are bring released now, so I made the switch to that..

Guest lordgoata

No problems here for me either - in fact its given the tablet a whole new lease of life, just seems more polished and complete now. I did wipe mine, then update, then factory reset - dunno if that made a difference or not though! I think my tablet and dock were also B70, but I can't remember for certain atm).

Guest blondejon

Reboots even when not docked. Either loops on the boot screen or freezes on the Asia screen. Update "swirl" keeps appearing

Guest Mr.Clark

Can't say I've noticed any issues. It seems better than Honeycomb, don't know how much of that is just me imagining that it's better. Certainly no boot loops or anything like that.

Battery life is still not great, if I don't get it to go into airplane mode when I turn the screen off. I think it's an app, but haven't explored too deeply into which one.

Guest lordgoata

@Mr.Clark I left my tab (undocked) with the screen off, and Juice Defender running. After 7 days I still had about 30% of the battery left (I hardly used it, it was an experiment to see how long it lasted). I then charged both the tab and the dock and tried again, this time with it docked. It was dead after 2 days. No other difference. The dock causes the battery to drain something terrible (even with the setting enabled in the preferences). Not sure if you are docked, but that's something to bear in mind.

Guest Mr.Clark

Yeah, I'm docked and have an SD card in the dock too, which I've heard might be detrimental.

The thing is, I sent the dock off for repair after the infamous battery drain issue, and I'm sure it was better when I got it back.

Maybe I should wipe it and start slow, installing things one at a time. But I'll have the Padfone before I'm finished :/

Guest smeeg

I have an issue with it keep either "freezing" or rebooting and freezing at the ASUS circling pattern bit. I have already tried a complete wipe and reinstall but it's still the same. Hurry up with the update Asus.

Guest anatmavada

The same for me, the TF101 reboots daily and freezes.

Then I was not able to boot it, I had to wait till the battery was completely empty, then recharged it and boot it, what a horrible experience.

Now I haven't turned of my TF101 the last 4 days and keep it on the charger.

Hope ASUS works hard on a fix :wacko:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.