Android 4 arrives on the Archos 101 and 80 G9

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Better late than never as they say. Admittedly Archos is only second behind Asus for an ICS rollout, but we heard we would be seeing an update for Archos’s most recent line in the first week of February and now it’s the first week of March. Still, it’s great to see the update available for the inexpensive series of tablets that Paul took quite a liking to back in October.

For those who don’t know, the G9 series took Archos in the right direction after some truly miserable Android 2.x based devices. The 8 inch 80 and 10.1 inch 101 ran with dual core processors and shipped with Android 3.2.

New features slated by Archos, apart from what you’d expect with ICS include..

• Unique ARCHOS add-ons for Ice Cream Sandwich include full 1080p support for most video codecs, movies and TV shows description and subtitles automatic download

• Wireless content sharing between your device and any computer or DNLA compatible TV

• 3D video support for MKV3D files

• Optimized File Manager with full drag and drop support

• Ethernet USB dongle support

• ARCHOS remote control application that allows your tablet to be controlled by any Android device

The update will be sent out over the air, so all you have to do is sit back and wait for the update to appear on your device, or alternatively you can download the update manually from the Archos support site.

Now, Archos, how about that developer edition firmware....?

Update info (PDF)

Full Changelog

633f78f7461c71568c2e49fac402f6c4.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest doncoop

First impressions, good so far. Some things feel quicker like market and app drawer. Chrome, meh. Might be my fat fingers but can't do the ickle tabs to save my life haha

Guest doncoop

The archos remote app has been there for ages. You can find it in android market...ahem...sorry... Google play :S

Haven't used it for ages but think it's more for flicking screens and enabling apps etc. Might be handy if you have your archos hooked up to a TV.

Been playing with it some more (well, had it pretty much constantly on for 4 hours last night ) so here are my thoughts.

* Definitely smoother. Flicking between screens and using the menus has less lag for sure.

*Even simple things like unlocking is smoother

* I don't get Google chrome. I't doesn't seem faster than stock browser, the tabs are minute and I end up tapping at them like a madman just to switch let alone close one!). It's only beta I suppose so I'll leave it be till it gets a bit better.

In summary...I got an android 4.0.03 tablet for under 180 notes.

Happy geek

Guest todoleo

I'm loving the ICS update on my 80 G9!

Smoother, faster, and the ability to add folders on the homescreen is a definite plus.

Well done Archos, you beat all the other tablet manufacturers to ICS!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.