Photo

How to root your HTC One S (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

* * * * * 1 votes

40 replies to this topic

todpalin

todpalin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire + One S
I have a HTC One S from Orange. And the instruction worked for me, however:
  • The Volume Down and Power On has to be done 3 times before it switches on in to BootLoader, the first time you need to hold it down until the key lights flash 6 times.
  • After the HTCDev unlock I tried the superboot and nothing happened except I got the TAMPERED warning on reboot to Bootloader, so I tried the procedure again and then the phone was unlocked.

Big Thanks.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

Will this wipe the device?

I mean can i run this up, then jump into recovery and quickly backup the base HTC installation before everything goes bye bye :)

The htcdev unlock will wipe the device.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

mintysport

mintysport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:xda orbit
Hi, i just today did htcdev unlock and all went ok, but tried the superboot as another guy on here and all i get now when i boot into bootloader is the *tampered* message

Please please can somebody help as im fearing ive bricked my brand new One S :(

p.s. i tried rebooting and redoing the superboot but it still says the same :(

EDIT: ive just noticed ive done a very very schoolboy error of having too many files on my desktop and have installed the r1 superboot instead of the r3 :blink: should i just redo the superboot but with the correct image file?

EDIT: I rebooted the superboot with the correct r3 file and now checking with root app i now have root, but still have the *tampered*in the bootloader, is this normal or have i done something wrong and can i get rid of the message??

Edited by mintysport, 12 April 2012 - 07:35 PM.

platinum19

platinum19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting an error in the command line. downloading 'boot.img' ... OKAY booting... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

zobojoe

zobojoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:HTC One S
This worked perfectly for me - thanks alot.

I'm quite new to Android and already a total convert from iPhone - I cant believe how much more flexible it is (especially when rooted !)

However - I came across my first downside to rooting to-day - my HTC One S offered me a FOTA update - so I plugged power in (!) and downloaded, installed and it automatically re-booted - not into normal boot but into recovery (see pic below).

1. Does this mean after rooting I cant really rely on FOTA to get updates - I kind of expected this as the HTC Dev site said it might happen.

2. If this is correct - what practical mechanisms are available to keep my Phone "up-to-date" bearing in mind I would need to re-install all my apps etc if I were to install a update a new OS version via flashing a new ROM - do you just have to flash the latest ROM via adb (or ROM Manager) and then re-install all your apps etc - is this how it works ?

Attached File  FOTA Problem.jpg   49.29KB   6 downloads

styt

styt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC One S,Legend,Wildfire S
Hi, The process worked for me the second time. But my bootloader still shows "Tampered". Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks

Unicate

Unicate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero
Same with my phone!

bootloader shows ***tampered*** and after executing the shellscript (well actually the *.bat file), it shows me the HTC Logo with a red text which shows up so short that I cannot even read that ^^.

Any ideas?

ignaurus13

ignaurus13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
How do I undo the install? I ran install-superboot-windows.bat and everything was working well. Tmobile just pushed an OTA and I think it unrooted me. SUPERSU cant update the binaries. I need to re-root I think but first I want to remove superboot. WHat is your recommendations?
Thanks,
Jimmy

chizuoka

chizuoka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:HTC ONE S S3
Hello Paul, I guess this one has the same issue as your CWM. It does not work on S3 based HTC One S... hope that it can support the S3 version soon as more and more of us are getting that version! Anything we can do to help?

Jordan0514

Jordan0514

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
After unlocking the bootloader on my One S, can I just do this to root it, and still keep my phone the same, or do I absolutely HAVE to flash a rom or CWM or something like that? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob to this!

portos82

portos82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:HTC one s
j salvation was coughing a problem with my htc s one orange fr i unlock the bootloader ok May the root with Superboot r3 does not work on such a redemarer on htc page of writing there had red jai jai CAREFUL do not download root check sorry it marks this device does not Have proper root access maider I thank you for c if c an s3 or s4 s c a one android 4.0.3 version 4.0 commen sence is made whether c an s3 or s4 thank you

htc one s htc ryme moto atrix 4G

jeancamel

jeancamel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
After doing the procedure, the phone reboot but the screen goes all black, I can still here phone sounds but can't see anything.

todpalin

todpalin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire + One S
This seems to have stopped working now since the update from HTC last week. It all looks like it's run OK but none of my apps requiring it can get root access.

zephram

zephram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC One S
Will this still work with H1S updated to Software Version 3.16.401.8 ( Android 4.1.1 ) ?

jm2p Zeph

drhom

drhom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:htc one s
worked great on my htc one S. i DONT KNOW WHY it did not download the boot image the 7 previous times i tried, but finally worked. keep at it. Paul's procedure does work.

matlevo12

matlevo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Hi !

I got a One SV about two weeks ago and i'm starting to mess with it.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the wonderful superboot tool could be used on the One SV.

So here are my questions :
- Is the superboot used for One S the same that for the One X, for example ?
- If not, what's the difference between them and how could we make one useable on the One SV ?
- If it is the same, could it be used directly on the One SV

And here's a bonus question : if i try it and it messes up my phone, will i be able to flash a recovery and a ruu to fix it ?

Thanks !

Mat

ignaurus13

ignaurus13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HI, I have a Tmo HTC One S that I just upgraded to Jelly Bean with the OEM over the air update. It unrooted my phone. Attempts to reroot sort of worked (root was confirm by a root checker) but SuperSU keeps telling me that its binaries need updating. I assume the binaries were part of the superboot R3 image. is there a newer version of superboot that I should use instead? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bizeekizay

bizeekizay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:htc one s
I followed this tutorial. My phone [HTC One S] booted up, but I have no Superuser app, and when I downloaded a root checker it said my phone was NOT rooted. Any help?

Also this doesn't have anything to do with this process, but when I unlocked my bootloader using the htcdev guide, my phone was reset and I lost all apps, phone #s etc. Seems to have been a complete factory reset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

razvankim

razvankim

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Developing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300
  • Twitter:@none
Hi folks. I wanna aquire a One s .. It's a good phone ?

Cheers | Hit THANKS if I helped you.
razvankim@MoDaCo

razvankim

razvankim

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Developing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300
  • Twitter:@none
Waiting for your responses.