ICS question for SGS2

Guest rbnfrance

Guest rbnfrance

Hi,

Can someone explain something to me. I want to upgrade my phone to ICS. Is that a Kernel thing or a Rom thing. If I put the latest speedmod kernel on it, is that ICS or have I got it all wrong. My current Kernel version is XXKI3. Can I just go ahead and put Speedmod onto it using Odin or do I have to find a specific version of it?

Many Thanks

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi,

Can someone explain something to me. I want to upgrade my phone to ICS. Is that a Kernel thing or a Rom thing. If I put the latest speedmod kernel on it, is that ICS or have I got it all wrong. My current Kernel version is XXKI3. Can I just go ahead and put Speedmod onto it using Odin or do I have to find a specific version of it?

Many Thanks

Hi rbnfrance,

ICS is a new "Rom thing" as you put it. There is no kernel source for it, yet. You cannot use a Gingerbread kernel with it. The best you can do is use a ChainFire ICS modded kernel (has CWM).

With XXLPQ (the latest ICS release), you need to use the XXLPQ kernel with it.

Guest rbnfrance

Hi rbnfrance,

ICS is a new "Rom thing" as you put it. There is no kernel source for it, yet. You cannot use a Gingerbread kernel with it. The best you can do is use a ChainFire ICS modded kernel (has CWM).

With XXLPQ (the latest ICS release), you need to use the XXLPQ kernel with it.

Ok thanks.it was actually you who helped me last time so thanks for that.I see that you have that kernel also.what rom do you use with it or is it your own one? I have a chinese galaxy s2 and you may remember that you can only put some roms on it.I'm hoping that putting a new kernel on it will mean I can use normal roms on it from now on.does that seem a possibility?

Guest Gary Crutcher

Ok thanks.it was actually you who helped me last time so thanks for that.I see that you have that kernel also.what rom do you use with it or is it your own one? I have a chinese galaxy s2 and you may remember that you can only put some roms on it.I'm hoping that putting a new kernel on it will mean I can use normal roms on it from now on.does that seem a possibility?

Not sure about chinese galaxy s2. The rom I am using is the one I posted. If you use it make sure you download ChainFire's updated XXLPQ kernel, else you may have sdcard issues. Link is at bottom of XXLPQ post

Guest rbnfrance

Not sure about chinese galaxy s2. The rom I am using is the one I posted. If you use it make sure you download ChainFire's updated XXLPQ kernel, else you may have sdcard issues. Link is at bottom of XXLPQ post

Ok thanks. I'd like to try that, but my current kernel isXXKI3. My other information tells me that I can't just use any cf-root......... Quote:

There is a lot of official Samsung Galaxy S2 firmware such as KE2, KE7, KE8, KF1, KF2, KF3, KF4, KG1, KG2, KG3, KG6, KH1, KH3, KH4, KI3 and KI4. You cannot simply use anyone of them. So which CF-Root should I use? Find the closest one that matches your Samsung Galaxy S2 kernel version. To check your kernel version ~ go to Settings – About phone. For example, my SGS2 kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF1-CL256340 root@DELL106 #2. Look for KF1 first, thenXW. Therefore, XW_OJV_KF1 is the CF-Root that matches my current kernel. Make sure that you download the correct one for your SGS2.

How do I get from my current kernel to the XXLPQ one? Do I have to download XX_OXA_KI3, or can i just use XXLPQ one straight away?

Thanks again.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Ok thanks. I'd like to try that, but my current kernel isXXKI3. My other information tells me that I can't just use any cf-root......... Quote:

There is a lot of official Samsung Galaxy S2 firmware such as KE2, KE7, KE8, KF1, KF2, KF3, KF4, KG1, KG2, KG3, KG6, KH1, KH3, KH4, KI3 and KI4. You cannot simply use anyone of them. So which CF-Root should I use? Find the closest one that matches your Samsung Galaxy S2 kernel version. To check your kernel version ~ go to Settings – About phone. For example, my SGS2 kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF1-CL256340 root@DELL106 #2. Look for KF1 first, thenXW. Therefore, XW_OJV_KF1 is the CF-Root that matches my current kernel. Make sure that you download the correct one for your SGS2.

How do I get from my current kernel to the XXLPQ one? Do I have to download XX_OXA_KI3, or can i just use XXLPQ one straight away?

Thanks again.

I honestly do not know what to tell you.

You may want to look for a chinese i9100 forum for an ICS version.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Guest rbnfrance

I honestly do not know what to tell you.

You may want to look for a chinese i9100 forum for an ICS version.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Ok, thanks for your help.