• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Devices:HP Touchpad / ZTE Blade

Thanks Staud. After facing all sorts of problems with Link2SD over the last 2-3 days, I'm going to try S2E. Let's see how it goes.

simple2ext-v4.zip works like a charm. You only have to flash it again after each update like you have to do with the gapps.

staud

staud

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

simple2ext-v4.zip works like a charm. You only have to flash it again after each update like you have to do with the gapps.

But, I think one should keep in mind that a full wipe includes formatting the ext-partition, or am I mistaken? Or, in your experience, can one keep the ext partition and just reflash s2e without any problems when updating the ROM? Is this even cleaner than formatting the ext and restore apps via Titanium Backup?

Posted Image

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

But, I think one should keep in mind that a full wipe includes formatting the ext-partition, or am I mistaken? Or, in your experience, can one keep the ext partition and just reflash s2e without any problems when updating the ROM? Is this even cleaner than formatting the ext and restore apps via Titanium Backup?

You don't have to wipe your data partition on each update. I've made this flashable zip to be flashed after each update. So you don't have to worry about anything.

1.Flash udpate zip
2.Flash Gapps
3.Flash s2e
4.wipe dalvik
5.reboot

It can't be compared with Titanium Backup. Because you simply don't uninstall or remove the apps during the flash progress.

probals

probals

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@probals

Thanks XeS0r... It does work like a charm. No complaints at all. I have over a 100 apps, all working smoothly!

edit: I think it's important the S2E app is downloaded from play store to activate all options, like moving davlik cache to sd, etc.. This was not done by default for me, but after using the app, it's all a-ok!

Is this even cleaner than formatting the ext and restore apps via Titanium Backup?

I normally format all data (including ext) and use MyBackup Root to get back apk + data. No issues faced till date. I prefer it to TB.
edit: Best part of MyBackup Root is that apps are relinked to the market automatically. Not sure if TB does that.

Edited by probals, 05 June 2012 - 04:21 AM.

OSF user living in India
ROM: Eco CM9; SD Card: 16 GB San Disk Class 10; Network: Airtel (India) 3G/2G; Using since: Dec '10
Other devices: Nexus 7 (Stock, Rooted)

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Thanks XeS0r... It does work like a charm. No complaints at all. I have over a 100 apps, all working smoothly!

edit: I think it's important the S2E app is downloaded from play store to activate all options, like moving davlik cache to sd, etc.. This was not done by default for me, but after using the app, it's all a-ok!

I normally format all data (including ext) and use MyBackup Root to get back apk + data. No issues faced till date. I prefer it to TB.
edit: Best part of MyBackup Root is that apps are relinked to the market automatically. Not sure if TB does that.

You don't need to download it from google play store. It's signed with the market signature and can be updated on updates too. But it don't reside on your ext partition and isn't affected if something goes wrong and you need to start your s2e application. I can move my Dalvik Cache (Option isn't greyed out). As i wrote during the flash process -> Start your s2e app to configure what you want to store on the ext partition. If you got any problems let me know and i will take a look at it.

And you only need to wipe data on major releases like from 7 to 9 or after the first flash of cyanogenmod. That's what they said. But in the end you can do what you want.

staud

staud

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

You don't have to wipe your data partition on each update. I've made this flashable zip to be flashed after each update. So you don't have to worry about anything.

Okay, maybe next time I'll give it a try. But I'm always a bit anxious and paranoid that there might be incompatibilities, that's why I mostly wipe everything. If there are problems with the ROM the first thing they'll ask you is if you did a full wipe... But of course, like you already said, everybody is free to decide that by theirselves. Haha, maybe it's my German attitude to do things thoroughly :D

Edited by staud, 05 June 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

sej7278

sej7278

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

1.Flash udpate zip
2.Flash Gapps
3.Flash s2e
4.wipe dalvik
5.reboot

you don't have to flash gapps after every update either.

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

you don't have to flash gapps after every update either.

I'm not sure how you did that but it won't work on my blade with the 31/05 Update from tilal.

1.Flashing Update again for testing purpose
2.Restart
3.Google Apps disappear.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the updater-script formats the system? It may work for those whose gapps didn't reside in the system/apps folder.

Btw.: updated to simple2ext-v5-zip which includes s2e v2.2.1

Edited by XeS0r, 05 June 2012 - 02:58 PM.

probals

probals

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have been using CFX for a couple of weeks now along with the simple2ext-v4 add-on.

One issue I'm facing is that the data in apps takes sometime to load. When I press on an app.. the apps loads ok, but the data takes 2-3 secs to come.

May or may not be an issue with simple2ext. Just sharing

P

OSF user living in India
ROM: Eco CM9; SD Card: 16 GB San Disk Class 10; Network: Airtel (India) 3G/2G; Using since: Dec '10

DannyPt

DannyPt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Devices:Blade
does anyone knows why i cant open A2SD in the 15/06 build? it get allways the error of missing the scripts or the ext...

i allready tryed to use the apps2ext-cm9.zip and the 31032012-a2sd-ext3.zip and it didnt work with both...

lige1991

lige1991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,
I'm using Coldfusion Alpha 3 and I was fighting for two whole days to get A2SD working. Link2SD wasn't satissfiy me. Here's my receipe:

Create file 05sdcard with content:

#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
/system/bin/mkdir /sd-ext
/system/bin/mount -o remount,ro /
if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ];
then
	/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext
fi;
then
adb remount
adb push 05sdcard /etc/init.d/
adb shell chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/05sdcard

Then download , unzip it to /sdcard with preserving directory structure (META-INF in .zip is /sdcard/META-INF etc)
Next:

adb shell
And copy-paste into adb shell window:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/etc/init.d/10apps2sd
cp /sdcard/system/app/s2e.apk /system/app/
cp /sdcard/system/etc/init.d/20userinit /system/etc/init.d/
chmod 0644 /system/app/s2e.apk
chmod 0755 /system/etc/init.d/20userinit
mount -o remount,ro /system

reboot, setup s2e according to Your preferences, reboot (watch adb logcat, this boot should take longer)
If everything works go to fridge and open Cold Beer of Winner Posted Image

Credits: uosiu (myself → this how-to), (tlexul → inspiration from THIS POST/XDA-Developers) and OlegKrikun/XDA-Developers for S2E application.

ZoomG

ZoomG

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:peace
  • Devices:...

I'm not sure how you did that but it won't work on my blade with the 31/05 Update from tilal.

1.Flashing Update again for testing purpose
2.Restart
3.Google Apps disappear.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the updater-script formats the system? It may work for those whose gapps didn't reside in the system/apps folder.

Btw.: updated to simple2ext-v5-zip which includes s2e v2.2.1

Can you please share a link for "simple2ext-v5-zip" ?

Thank you.

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

I have been using CFX for a couple of weeks now along with the simple2ext-v4 add-on.

One issue I'm facing is that the data in apps takes sometime to load. When I press on an app.. the apps loads ok, but the data takes 2-3 secs to come.

May or may not be an issue with simple2ext. Just sharing

P

That's because you've moved everything to your ext partition. Moving the Application data directory and the dalvik-cache to your ext partition will eventually slow down the system due to concurrent file access.

does anyone knows why i cant open A2SD in the 15/06 build? it get allways the error of missing the scripts or the ext...

i allready tryed to use the apps2ext-cm9.zip and the 31032012-a2sd-ext3.zip and it didnt work with both...

You can't open the a2sd? Did you mean the s2e app?

Check your /system parition free space. Open Terminal and enter "df". Maybe your system partition is to small. In my case it was to small and after the flashing process my gapps and s2e won't flash. You can check the Clockworkmod Log, too. Just restart into clockworkmod and flash s2e zip again. Goto main menu where you can reboot system and choose Advanced -> Logs.

Can you please share a link for "simple2ext-v5-zip" ?

Thank you.

Here you will find it:
https://docs.google....m4tejhQaFU/edit

Edited by XeS0r, 18 June 2012 - 02:42 PM.

ZoomG

ZoomG

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:peace
  • Devices:...
thank you

thanos3xd

thanos3xd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
hello i just instal simple2ext-v5-zip but i cant see any difference out of the s2e app all my apps are like before!!

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

hello i just instal simple2ext-v5-zip but i cant see any difference out of the s2e app all my apps are like before!!

Which difference did you expect?

rak007

rak007

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Devices:OSF ZTE Blade OLED
I have a 8GB SD Card installed on my ZTE Blade and have installed the ColdFusion ICS ROM but as everyone i too am having space issues. I have never done this ext parttition on my SD Card. I believe the steps mentioned here or using the flashable zip mentioned are to be done assuming one has the ext partition already available.
Can anyone point me to a thread or link which explains how to create the ext partition so i can also then make use of the v4/v5 zip to be able to move majority of apps to SD card.

probals

probals

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

That's because you've moved everything to your ext partition. Moving the Application data directory and the dalvik-cache to your ext partition will eventually slow down the system due to concurrent file access.

Thx XeSOr. So you would recommend that only the application data be moved and not davlik cache. Right?

P

OSF user living in India

probals

probals

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I have a 8GB SD Card installed on my ZTE Blade and have installed the ColdFusion ICS ROM but as everyone i too am having space issues. I have never done this ext parttition on my SD Card. I believe the steps mentioned here or using the flashable zip mentioned are to be done assuming one has the ext partition already available.
Can anyone point me to a thread or link which explains how to create the ext partition so i can also then make use of the v4/v5 zip to be able to move majority of apps to SD card.

Use CWM to partition SD card. Look under 'Advanced' .. I think. All options are there itself. Do a backup of your card 1st though.

P

OSF user living in India

XeS0r

XeS0r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Thx XeSOr. So you would recommend that only the application data be moved and not davlik cache. Right?

P

That was no recommendation, you can do whatever you want. I've moved everything to the ext partition. Because i don't expect my blade to be super fast. So feel free to try it out and report your results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users