Choosing network for WP7

Guest PaulF

Guest PaulF

Hi

I've had Windows phones on Orange since the first SPV - mainly because Orange always gave the best deals on these phones.

However, I'm very dissapointed with Orange's atitude towards the WP7.5 OS - mainly their insistince of removing key features (such as tethering and voice navigation).

Can anyone clarify / confirm how other carriers compare with Orange in this respect?

I beleive Vodafone allow tethering and voice nav (certainly the phones we have through work which I beleive are a 're-branded' vodafone contract appear to have all these features).

What about T-Mobile / O2 / Three?? Can anyone help??

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner

I think you may be mixing up what the network is offering and what the device manufacturer is actually supplying with the phone.

Are you sure the device you have seen has just not had the tethering update?

Certain HTC devices now have tethering after recent updates the Lumia 800 does not have this yet.

Voice navigation is only on the Lumia currently by default as Nokia has their own navigation system built in to the device. HTC now have a form of navigation but I've not tested it out to say how good it is. Apart fromt that there are numerous other navigation apps you can buy via the WP Market Place.

Guest PaulF

I think you may be mixing up what the network is offering and what the device manufacturer is actually supplying with the phone.

Are you sure the device you have seen has just not had the tethering update?

Certain HTC devices now have tethering after recent updates the Lumia 800 does not have this yet.

Voice navigation is only on the Lumia currently by default as Nokia has their own navigation system built in to the device. HTC now have a form of navigation but I've not tested it out to say how good it is. Apart fromt that there are numerous other navigation apps you can buy via the WP Market Place.

Thanks for the suggestions, but Orange have now admitted that they have removed the Tethering option from the Windows Phone 7.5 software on their handsets (as well as the Bing voice navigation).

If anyone else is as annoyed by this as I was then speak to Orange and complain about this - I spoke to about three levels of supervisors / managers, and in the end they agreed to terminate my 2 year contract early (8 or 9 months early I think) with no penalty.

Interestingly I've had an online chat with O2 and they have confirmed (in 'electronic' writing) that tethering is available on the Lumia 800 on O2. Luckily I have not gone ahead with this yet (it was always my intention to view one in a shop and check the options before singing anything).

I've just seen the new HTC Locations satnav - looks very good - but people are saying online the turn by turn navigation is a paid option..... It's working for free on mine, but some say it is only fee for a trial period (although there's no mention of this anywhere on the software - which is very poor).

I like the option to download local maps - it seems to perform very well (although it took a number of attempts to get the download to work).

Guest awarner

Tethering is not available on the Lumia 800 at this time so Orange can not remove something that is not available and O2 can not add it either, sounds like inexperienced staff who do not know the product and guessing on answers. The same applies with Bing voice navigation, if you are refering to route navigation there is no voice activation at the moment but the Lumia has Nokia Drive which does give voice navigation.

I am unsure of Samsung at the moment but HTC have been rolling out tethering on their devices.

I will enquire with those more involved and highlight the issues that Orange and O2 may be creating.

As for charging, The Lumia 800 used to require a data connection before planning a route but the recent updates have removed this requirement and now it will plan offline. HTC's verion I have not really tested at the moment but its on my list of things to do with the Titan.

Guest awarner

Just updated the HTC Locations app and it does now enable navigation offline with a range of maps and voices also you can pay for speed cameras 30 days is £1.99 or 1 year @ £5.49

Guest awarner

Looking further into the Locations app, navigation is not free as it in partnership with Route66 Switzerland.

The costs at the moment are as follows

30 Days £3.99

1 Year £17.49

Unlimited £26.99

So Nokia Lumia has it if cost is an issue as it is free of charge.

The built in Maps do work well but as I have said above there is no voice navigation and unlikely to ever have it plus it is limited to the route planned.

EDIT after talking with contacts I have in O2 it is confirmed that while O2 will support tethering the Lumia is still waiting from an update from MS/Nokia to enable it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fedricwalls

One of my friend is using O2 service network provider for its Nokia Lumia Window cell phone since last 4 months. This network provider is best for the using all the services performed with better facilities easily as per saying by "awarner" in above posts.

• 6 months later...