Microphone volume very low during calls

Guest Kenif1983

Guest Kenif1983

Noticed this recently that people cannot hear me during calls.

If I turn on the speaker during calls, callers are able to hear me but it's low.

I used a voice recorder app and I was able to hear my voice relatively clear.

Is there any software way that I can up the volume of my mic or re-calibrate it?

Guest Kenif1983

Any help on this would be great.

I'm using the app "Sound Recorder" and can hear myself pretty well once recorded.

I just phoned my home phone answer machine a load of times though.

With the phone to my ear - no sound is recieved by the other side.

Using the phone as speakerphone - my voice is there but heavily muffled.

I've scoured the web but can't find any way to calibrate my mic during calls

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oxyg3n89

i had low volume microphone problem too. Was very very low, even when using sound voice recorder. This was due rubber dust protector/holder not staying in right place. full phone disassemble not needed, only internal back cover to remove and then lift bottom plate up.

if someone have this issue in future it may help.

post-917277-0-26775600-1333983917_thumb.

Edited by oxyg3n89

Guest aamiel

I am going to try and get my phone changed under warranty for same problem but could you describe in a bit more details what you do once you have removed the internal cover.

I am not going to do it now as I guess it would invalidate the warranty but it may be useful to others and me in the future.

Thanks

Guest oxyg3n89

it is very simple, there is separate chip plate as seen in photo at the bottom which does contain soldered MIC. You lift that microchip plate up gently, i just used the same screwdriver. Then you notice grey soft material, marked as dust protector in photo, check if it does stay correctly in center (mine was moved a bit to corner,covering the hole and blocking sound to MIC).

Guest aamiel

Thanks, I could not understand what I was seeing on the picture but now all is clear. Still will try to get a new one on warranty as I also have a bit of dust under the screen.

Guest ournev

i had low volume microphone problem too. Was very very low, even when using sound voice recorder. This was due rubber dust protector/holder not staying in right place. full phone disassemble not needed, only internal back cover to remove and then lift bottom plate up.

Thanks for this post. I am having the same problem. However the dust protector in my phone had all but disintegrated. The foam partly detached from the metal base. I have cleaned it up as far as I can but only the metal base remains which will not be much protection against dust.

Is there somewhere that I can get a replacement?

The picture was extremely helpful.

Guest aamiel

Thanks, I could not understand what I was seeing on the picture but now all is clear. Still will try to get a new one on warranty as I also have a bit of dust under the screen.

Missed the 6 months warranty by a couple of weeks and they wanted to charge me £70 for repair. So a screwdriver and a couple of minutes and a needle did the trick. Thanks for the very good picture.

Now I need to find how to remove the dust from under the screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest derpy

Very very helpful!

It really works, thanks oxyg3n89.

Guest m4te

Is there possibly a chance that mine has moved, since i've never opened it? Because people are complaining often that they don't hear me, when I'm louder it's okay tho... Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest silver01

Worked for me :) thanks oxyg3n89

Guest pablo_el_diablo

Mine went to Argos, was unclocked but reverted to orange rom, they have fix this but returned phone with faulty gps. After another 3 weeks it arrived with new PCB as they were unable to repair. So even if you know it's unlock try and send under warranty.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jtharmor

Do you need to remove any screws for this ?

• 2 months later...
Guest noakes9

Great stuff oxyg3n89! This fixed my microphone problem in about 10 minutes. I found it easier to access the dust cover by removing all eight screws (including the one in the top right under a white sticker) before removing the internal cover with a credit card.

Its now crystal clear!

• 5 months later...
Guest kumar aditya

Can you please suggest the screw driver used to open the phone back cover?

Guest retroboystuckinthepast

I followed oxyg3n89 tut as I had the same problem, very simple to unscrew, then I lifted the bottom board and it fell out. Works like a charm now. cheers oxyg3n89

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest maverik-sg1

I know this thread is old but I have this as a backup phone when something goes wrong with one of the other phones in the house.

So I fired it up and got the same problem, followed the instructions, note that you do have to undo a few screws and take of the black cover, once open you can lift the green panel up slightly and remove the cover.

Takes 10mins if (like me) you chose to just remove the mall cover rather than try to reposition it and it works a treat so thank you very much for the assist.