Can't get Vivacity to recognise any ROM I try

Guest ampeli

Guest ampeli

Hi

Hoping someone can advise a novice ...

Was following a variety of instructions (which I know isn't the greatest idea).

Started off with these unlocking instructions because they looked straightforward but soon found that I needed more clarification about QPST, so have been following MoDaCo ones as well. One way I made life difficult for myself is not to put my chosen ROM file on the SD card at the outset before messing with the phone. I have followed the unlocking steps as far as step 20 so I think that now I should just need to put a ROM on the root of the SD card, rename it 'update.zip' (or actually just 'update' as the zip tag is already there). I have done this by USB mounting the phone in Clockwork Recovery, copying the file there, renaming it, unmounting and then selecting 'choose zip from sdcard'. Have repeatedly tried this with both official stock roms (separate attempts), r1 debranded ROM and finally Fish'N'Chips. The phone is stuck in CWM until I can get the phone to recognise one of the ROM files I'm trying to use.

Typical message is:

Finding update package

Opening update package

E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip

(No such file or directory)

Installation aborted

Couldn't open directory

Couldn't open directory

No files found

This is despite having 2 files listed on the sdcard 'update.zip/' and also 'update.zip' (have tried both) but maybe this is part of the problem

Mysteriously when I look at the SD card files from my PC, only one 'update' file is listed

From various threads it seems I also need a Vivacity kernel zip file on the SD card. I am v confused by all the threads on MoDaCo and cannot work out where to find one to use now that some download sites are out of use. I am not interested in overclocking or anything tricky. (This is not mentioned in the blog instructions I followed originally).

Would appreciate any help that will get me sorted. Thanks!

Guest raverrr

Hi

Hoping someone can advise a novice ...

Was following a variety of instructions (which I know isn't the greatest idea).

Started off with these unlocking instructions because they looked straightforward but soon found that I needed more clarification about QPST, so have been following MoDaCo ones as well. One way I made life difficult for myself is not to put my chosen ROM file on the SD card at the outset before messing with the phone. I have followed the unlocking steps as far as step 20 so I think that now I should just need to put a ROM on the root of the SD card, rename it 'update.zip' (or actually just 'update' as the zip tag is already there). I have done this by USB mounting the phone in Clockwork Recovery, copying the file there, renaming it, unmounting and then selecting 'choose zip from sdcard'. Have repeatedly tried this with both official stock roms (separate attempts), r1 debranded ROM and finally Fish'N'Chips. The phone is stuck in CWM until I can get the phone to recognise one of the ROM files I'm trying to use.

Typical message is:

Finding update package

Opening update package

E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip

(No such file or directory)

Installation aborted

Couldn't open directory

Couldn't open directory

No files found

This is despite having 2 files listed on the sdcard 'update.zip/' and also 'update.zip' (have tried both) but maybe this is part of the problem

Mysteriously when I look at the SD card files from my PC, only one 'update' file is listed

From various threads it seems I also need a Vivacity kernel zip file on the SD card. I am v confused by all the threads on MoDaCo and cannot work out where to find one to use now that some download sites are out of use. I am not interested in overclocking or anything tricky. (This is not mentioned in the blog instructions I followed originally).

Would appreciate any help that will get me sorted. Thanks!

There is no need to rename it. But shouldn't make a difference as long as you use the "install zip from sd card" tool in clockwork. Is this what you did?

Guest ampeli

There is no need to rename it. But shouldn't make a difference as long as you use the "install zip from sd card" tool in clockwork. Is this what you did?

Yes... many times!!

OK decided to type out what I'd done and in the process realised I missed out a vital step... after wiping the Dalvik Cache I didn't select Reboot Recovery to get to the blue screen. Have now done this and it is now fine with my ROM (can't remember which one's on the SD card now I've tried so many options!) Anyway now I'm stuck because I haven't got a vivacitykernel.zip file. Can anyone point me to a download site that's working for this please?

Guest raverrr

Yes... many times!!

OK decided to type out what I'd done and in the process realised I missed out a vital step... after wiping the Dalvik Cache I didn't select Reboot Recovery to get to the blue screen. Have now done this and it is now fine with my ROM (can't remember which one's on the SD card now I've tried so many options!) Anyway now I'm stuck because I haven't got a vivacitykernel.zip file. Can anyone point me to a download site that's working for this please?

you dont need to if you are using FLB2. that rom is already for the vivacity