Ste_B

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NUFC, Andriod, Beer & Cuban cigars
  • Devices:Vega,Bravo,NexusS,OneX
  • Twitter:@Ste_Boyd
Awesome review Paul, Thursday can't come quick enough for me. You answered most questions I had actually, so even more happy with my pre-order.

Looking forward to see what `tweaks` you implement. :)

Posted Image

Stefing

Stefing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:Optimus 2X & San Francisco
  • Twitter:@Stefing
Superb work, Paul!
As you say though, the S III is the elephant (not) in the room.

Edited by Stefing, 02 April 2012 - 09:36 AM.

Stefing

Stefing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:Optimus 2X & San Francisco
  • Twitter:@Stefing

What about the non-removable battery?If phone hangs or freezes how we can reset/restart it?
Ok,there is the "Power button" but as far as I know if you hold the power button
a new window opens with restart and turn off option.
But how you will choose one of this options if phone hangs or freezes?

My Transformer Prime (running the stock-based Virtuous ROM) has never hung (which was a worry)
With my Optimus 2X (running the Nova HD ROM based upon CM9) the power and volume-up combo has always worked.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
Great review Paul.

One day I might actually try Android, looks impressive, but not sure if it's impressive enough to pull me away from iOS (I'm fairly locked in now (my wife has a 3G my kids both have 3GS and I have a 4 - and an iPad and an ATV) and I'm not sure I like the trend to larger phones (I have an iPad for large screen browsing).

Pity there is no way of renting something like this for a month or so to see what it's like, buying then selling on isn't really an option.

Not sure I need anything more from a phone than my iP4 offers - most likely wait another year to upgrade the phone and possibly upgrade my iPad to the 3 this year.

Keep up the good work Paul.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Celox

Celox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC DESIRE
Great review, Paul! I genuinly thought you didn't like me when I asked a Q through twitter (wtrt) and you didn't reply. Good to know it was an embargo instead ;)!

I only have one question now: my one X is still on firmware 401.2 and no OTA to be found!

Any clue what could cause this? I live in Belgium that might have something to do with it. Any way around it though?

Thanks!

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

Lovely review, Paul (as expected). Going to wait for your One S review as I'm really torn between the 2 units. I love my Sensation but the size of the Nexus means I'm now used to a larger screen...using both the other week was really hard as I went in expecting to just love the One X and ignore the rest but the One S screen is SO nice!!

I'm selling my Nexus to fund the purchase so will be awaiting your One S review with excitement :D

My One S review will be up soon!

So jealous lol, anyway how do you condition your batteries? There is so many conflicting reports on the internet it gets a bit confusing.

I don't really condition it tbh, I just find it takes a few charges to get 'up to speed'. :)

Great review, Paul! I genuinly thought you didn't like me when I asked a Q through twitter (wtrt) and you didn't reply. Good to know it was an embargo instead ;)!

I only have one question now: my one X is still on firmware 401.2 and no OTA to be found!

Any clue what could cause this? I live in Belgium that might have something to do with it. Any way around it though?

Thanks!

The OTA of the next release is in limited test atm.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Arz Bhatia

Arz Bhatia

Enthusiast

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Web Designing, Photography, Graphic UI Editing, etc.
  • Devices:HTC Sensation Z710e
  • Twitter:@arzbhatia
Mind blowing review!

Mind posting a photo doing a screen comparison of the One X, Galaxy Nexus and Xperia S showing same pictures will full brightness?

Deepest

Deepest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:HTC Sensation
Great looking handset. If you turn the handset to landscape mode you will have scientific ability on the stock calculator.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts

Mind blowing review!

Mind posting a photo doing a screen comparison of the One X, Galaxy Nexus and Xperia S showing same pictures will full brightness?

I can do, the One X blows them all away tho. ;)

Great looking handset. If you turn the handset to landscape mode you will have scientific ability on the stock calculator.

Ah, good spot, thanks! :)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts

What happened to the part about ICS phones would have to include Holo as an optional theme for the device to be certified by google?

That was just for theming apps not for the whole UI.

TheDuder

TheDuder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Posted ImageDamn you audio jack on top!!

JimJam707

JimJam707

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Devices:Moto G
  • Twitter:@JimJam707
Great review.
The phone is, so sexy looking. Posted Image

Samsung Galaxy SII - CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies

ZTE Blade - CyanogenMod 7

Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 - CyanogenMod 9 Alphas

------------------------------------------------

Follow Me:

Twitter

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts

Posted ImageDamn you audio jack on top!!

Why is that a bad thing? I would expect the top to be the most logical placement for the headphone jack since most people put phones in pockets.

TheDuder

TheDuder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Why is that a bad thing? I would expect the top to be the most logical placement for the headphone jack since most people put phones in pockets.

Nope. I've always hated the placement of the audio jack on Android phones. Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus, which has it located on the bottom, I've been so pleased with it being there(compared to where it was on my previous Android phones). For example, when I pull my phone out of my pocket, I don't have to flip it around to see the screen. When it's on top... you do & the cord is always draped around in an awkward way, IMO.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
I prefer it on top.

:o

P

Posted Image

Kushan

Kushan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire
Am I the only one that prefers to use Bluetooth headphones so it's a non-issue?

TheDuder

TheDuder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I'm actually quite bewildered as to why you guys like it on top. I know everyone has their own personal preference, which is why Android is great, but now I'm curious as to what makes it better than being on bottom. I guess you could say you're just used to it there, but I don't seem to understand how it's not annoying coming out from the top. (honestly asking)

Not sure how many other Android phones are like this...but have you tried using a phone like the gnexus that has it on the bottom?

TonyLeMesmer

TonyLeMesmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus, HP Touchpad
Surely on the bottom makes more sense, then the cable runs straight past your wrist. Also it means when you put your phone in your pocket upside down, when you pull it out it's the right way up. I'm sure I saw a video about it somewhere, I'll have a look.

cjb110

cjb110

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S II, Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@cjb110
I would have said top...but TheDuder has a point...when you take it out your pocket you swing it around so its the right way up. If it was on the bottom there's no issue.

All ports on the bottom makes sense, I hate side ports, it looks weird on the device and weird when plugged in your desk..the cable pulls it squiffy.

If there were two of you, which one would win?

..::Chris Beach::..

rvdgeer

rvdgeer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Android!
  • Devices:HTC Desire, PoV Mobii 10
  • Twitter:@robvdgeer

Nope. I've always hated the placement of the audio jack on Android phones. Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus, which has it located on the bottom, I've been so pleased with it being there(compared to where it was on my previous Android phones). For example, when I pull my phone out of my pocket, I don't have to flip it around to see the screen. When it's on top... you do & the cord is always draped around in an awkward way, IMO.

Glad it has the audio jack on top!
What would the popular Valenta pouches look like if the audio jack was on the bottom ;)

EDIT:
Oh, and how about desk stands?
How would I be able to plug in a headset when the phone is on/in the desk stand if the audio jack is on the bottom?

Edited by rvdgeer, 02 April 2012 - 01:06 PM.

HTC One (m7) on Tele2
ROM: ViperOne 5.8.0 (Sense 5.5)
Android: 4.4.2
Kernel: 4.19.401.11 CL304164 release-keys
Bootloader: 1.56.0000
CID: HTC__E11

HTC One X (endeavoru) on KPN
ROM: ViperX 4.0.7 (Sense 5.0)
Android: 4.2.2
Kernel: 4.18.401.2 CL231174 release-keys
Bootloader: 1.39.0000
CID: HTC__E11