One X Root

Guest zombiefly

Guest zombiefly

hi,

Received my One X this morning. On all my previous phones, i've dumped sense and rooted immediately. It's a bit early for custom roms etc without sense, however i'm slightly perturbed by the unlocking boot loader via HTC.

I've just spent £500 on this phone, it's sim free, so there's no carrier to send it back to. If I unlock via HTCDev, it seems i lose part or all of my warranty immediately. Cutting out the legal speak and disclaimers, does this basically mean as soon as I unlock, i'm completely screwed if something goes wrong with the hardware?

If I use an alternative boot unlock/ rooting method, is this different to using the HTCDev solution? will it be detectable if it's sent back to HTC for repair?

Guest sterallures

hi,

Received my One X this morning. On all my previous phones, i've dumped sense and rooted immediately. It's a bit early for custom roms etc without sense, however i'm slightly perturbed by the unlocking boot loader via HTC.

I've just spent £500 on this phone, it's sim free, so there's no carrier to send it back to. If I unlock via HTCDev, it seems i lose part or all of my warranty immediately. Cutting out the legal speak and disclaimers, does this basically mean as soon as I unlock, i'm completely screwed if something goes wrong with the hardware?

If I use an alternative boot unlock/ rooting method, is this different to using the HTCDev solution? will it be detectable if it's sent back to HTC for repair?

Just to let you know. I've rooted my Desire and my Sensation, had to sent my Desire back 2 times for repair and had to unroot it two times.

They just repaired everything and sent it back to me without noticing anything about me having it rooted and unrooted again. So I think they can't detect if you had your phone rooted and unroot it again.

When your hardware fails and you can't unroot it, then you might have a problem but I'm not sure what will happen then.

In my opinion you can better root it without HTCDev so you might have a chance to unroot it and sent it back for repair, otherwise you'll lose your warranty anyway if you use HTCDev

Edited by sterallures

Guest zombiefly

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the MoDaCo instructions the only option appears to be to root first with HTCdev, so I will keep an eye on the forums until there's an alternative method

Guest Basil 123

It runs well as is, just the in-game ads tend to irritate.

Sense is now 'sensible'.

Nice of HTC to allow unlocking IF I decide to go that way. I have to admit I am IMPRESSED by a company that listens to its customers and takes such a major step as setting up its own bootunlocking site. Compared this attitude to crapple - HTC is keeping the open source origin of Android open. Or LG that was forced into updating the O2x to ICS but only after it releases its newer quadcore stuff. And people are still waiting.

I loved my Nexus One (made by HTC). LG O2x gave me so many headaches...

Back to HTC and it really is GOOD!

Will hold fire on unlocking until the unit has been fully run through its paces for a while, maybe never.

Cheers

Baz

Guest zombiefly

It runs well as is, just the in-game ads tend to irritate.

Sense is now 'sensible'.

Nice of HTC to allow unlocking IF I decide to go that way. I have to admit I am IMPRESSED by a company that listens to its customers and takes such a major step as setting up its own bootunlocking site. Compared this attitude to crapple - HTC is keeping the open source origin of Android open. Or LG that was forced into updating the O2x to ICS but only after it releases its newer quadcore stuff. And people are still waiting.

I loved my Nexus One (made by HTC). LG O2x gave me so many headaches...

Back to HTC and it really is GOOD!

Will hold fire on unlocking until the unit has been fully run through its paces for a while, maybe never.

Cheers

Baz

i must admit sense seems a lot more sensible now. however, I really don't like the lack of colour in the icons, the large notification icons and various other bits. I have no real need for any of the HTC apps, don't much care about status updates on contacts. I've always moved away from sense roms, I can feel already i'm going the same way with this. I've replaced the launcher as the sense launcher is lacking in features other launchers have had for years. I have a feeling i will end up with vanilla ICS at some point on this phone, it's just how do I get there and protect my warranty?! :mellow:

Edited by zombiefly

Guest Basil 123

i must admit sense seems a lot more sensible now. however, I really don't like the lack of colour in the icons, the large notification icons and various other bits. I have no real need for any of the HTC apps, don't much care about status updates on contacts. I've always moved away from sense roms, I can feel already i'm going the same way with this. I've replaced the launcher as the sense launcher is lacking in features other launchers have had for years. I have a feeling i will end up with vanilla ICS at some point on this phone, it's just how do I get there and protect my warranty?! :mellow:

You sound like you need root.

Go for it! LOL

Guest EddyOS

Other than the hardware, what made you go for the One X instead of the Galaxy Nexus? If you don't like Sense it seems a bit silly to get an HTC handset...

Guest zombiefly

Other than the hardware, what made you go for the One X instead of the Galaxy Nexus? If you don't like Sense it seems a bit silly to get an HTC handset...

i've always had htc, i like their build quality and i've never had a phone fail, i've had 5 HTC devices since the G1.

I didn't like the galaxy build quality or the fact it looked very iPhone. Due to my HTC desire lagging behind I decided the OneX was a decent choice.

I've sorted my root issues out now, the phone is insured as part of my bank services,so if it breaks after root, i'll claim on the insurance ;)

Guest EddyOS

Always a good plan!

The Galaxy Nexus isn't iPhone-ish at all as it's stock Android 4.0.4 - OK, build quality isn't as nice as HTC handsets but it's still a good phone...not good enough to stop me selling it to get a One X though!!! :D

Guest zombiefly

Another half day using sense 4, I really need to get rid of it asap! hopefully there will be a senseless ROM soon. I guess I'll lose the camera functionality though as that's an HTC app and won't work without sense

Guest zombiefly

I've got used to stock and 3Rd party apps as the initial versions of sense put me off for life... I've given this new version a go and yes, it's better but there is so much crap I don't require on it and i'm not keen on the look of it. the launcher is the worst of it, its lacking in features I've had with other launchers. I like adw ex, so I've put that back on. I can live without the sense widgets. widget locker has also removed that awful HTC ring thing too ;)

Basically i've turned my new OneX into a clone of my Desire. This is why I like Android, you can personalise and transport to a new device :)

Edited by zombiefly

Guest EddyOS

True. I'm running Sense 4 on my Sensation at the mo (port from the One S) and Sense 4 is SO much better than before. Plus I've deleted half the crap I'll never use so it flies now (albeit with a few hardware-related differences)

Never liked ADW launcher, too many thing to change. I used Trebuchet with my Nexus - same as stock ICS but with a few key features

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...