• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, Moto G

Thiss app https://play.google....Wt1bi5zMmUiXQ..

"System Tuner" might do what you want - plus many many other management tools and tweaks - works great with this ROM.
Just don't use the logcat in this thread though ;-)
https://play.google....mNjYzcxLnBtdyJd

GPS is on-demand, and is IIRC a feature of GB, otherwise having it on all the time would suck the battery.

Well that one is sorted then :-)

(Typo corrected)

Edited by bill48er, 16 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Posted Image

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

In relation to HiSurfing firewall, this:

E/HiSurfing_FireWall(  708): iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

Since you have Droidwall removed try this, plug in cable and from your windows cmd shell or linux terminal:
  • adb shell
  • /system/bin/iptables -F
That will clear all iptables rules, then try running hisurf firewall again, you may need to reset it and reinitialise it again. If that does not work, then you need to notify the developer to inform the situation, where you tried to run hisurf on a rom that came with droidwall and the two clashed and hisurf is not working.

Hi again.

Update.....

Yeah it has been a while - but I did promise a progress report.

>> iptables -F did not fix the problem :-(

However, with both Driodwall and HiSurfing both un-installed.. ran iptables -X
Downloaded HiSurfing and "bingo" all is right with the world - HiSurfing is fully functional again!

It's been fun working at command level again - it's been a while since my DOS batch file days :-D

Now, do you mind if I make a minor observation... adding a "Filer" to the AOSP was a no-brainer but Driodwall while it is a very sensible app to include (there are alternatives), Fdroid will be useful to some and AWD Launcher is available from Google play. I suggest that adding these does detract from the AOSP principal.
Would it not be better for users to recommend favourite Apps which work well with this most excellent ROM?
Me now runs and hides :-D

Many thanks T0mm13b for your help, understanding and patience.

Cheers
Bill

Posted Image

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Devices:GT-S8500,Zte Blade,SE ST15i
  • Twitter:@t0mm13b

Hi again.

Update.....

Yeah it has been a while - but I did promise a progress report.

>> iptables -F did not fix the problem :-(

However, with both Driodwall and HiSurfing both un-installed.. ran iptables -X
Downloaded HiSurfing and "bingo" all is right with the world - HiSurfing is fully functional again!

It's been fun working at command level again - it's been a while since my DOS batch file days :-D

Now, do you mind if I make a minor observation... adding a "Filer" to the AOSP was a no-brainer but Driodwall while it is a very sensible app to include (there are alternatives), Fdroid will be useful to some and AWD Launcher is available from Google play. I suggest that adding these does detract from the AOSP principal.
Would it not be better for users to recommend favourite Apps which work well with this most excellent ROM?
Me now runs and hides :-D

Many thanks T0mm13b for your help, understanding and patience.

Cheers
Bill

Yes, of course, hummm... Filer, FDroid, and Droidwall was put in because of the open-source nature, and in respect to F-Droid, that was to offer some kind of tangible benefit as alternative to market should you so wish not to use as the alternatives is there.

A while ago, someone mentioned about a missing file manager, hence I put in the file manager in there.

Being a advocate of the world of open source, hence my initiative to put in those apps.

Yet, again, having said that, the freedom is there to remount the system and nuke the apps that you don't like :)

Glad to hear that you got your firewall app sorted out :)

try{ not_laugh; }catch{ FAIL; }finally{ laugh; }

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hi

Quickie question - does this ROM have optimum/recommended partition sizes?
My phone was reset using a "wbaw Gen 1 to Gen2" TPT to CM7 upgrade to the following:
2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Cheers
Bill

Posted Image

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade 3, Alcatel OT995

Hi

Quickie question - does this ROM have optimum/recommended partition sizes?
My phone was reset using a "wbaw Gen 1 to Gen2" TPT to CM7 upgrade to the following:
2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Cheers
Bill

It'll work on that setup, as will any other ROM that fits on a 160MB system partition, don't worry being "optimal", better to have a too large system than a too small one, for evidence of that see the CM10 threads.

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

It'll work on that setup, as will any other ROM that fits on a 160MB system partition, don't worry being "optimal", better to have a too large system than a too small one, for evidence of that see the CM10 threads.

Hi
Yes, I can confirm 160mb works, I've been using these partition setting since "13B". :-)
As you say as long as the ROM will fit in the system it will run - I've around 36mb of free system ROM the actual figure varies depending on which app is used to measure the actual size :-)

I was really more interested in the size of the cache.

Another Q? Is the ADW launcher in "21" as well as or instead of "stock"?
When I was running CM7.1 I found ADW to be very unstable on my phone.

Heads up: the Google apps linky seams to be broken.

Cheers
Bill

Posted Image

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Hi
Yes, I can confirm 160mb works, I've been using these partition setting since "13B". :-)
As you say as long as the ROM will fit in the system it will run - I've around 36mb of free system ROM the actual figure varies depending on which app is used to measure the actual size :-)

Cheers
Bill

There's two launchers in there, if you wish, you can remove ADWLauncher and use the latter stock launcher (Launcher2) by removing ADWLauncher :)

Checking the gapps linky :)

Edit: Oh http://goo.im/gapps is broken! :huh:

Thanks Bill for the heads up, have it uploaded to MediaFire and updated the linky on the first post :)

Edited by t0mm13b, 17 August 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade 3, Alcatel OT995

Hi

Cheers
Bill

The cache?

Heh, it'll bw fine for rhis upgrade or ANY upgrade.

d_borghi

d_borghi

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

GPS is on-demand, and is IIRC a feature of GB, otherwise having it on all the time would suck the battery. :)

but then, i must leave always gps on? this would drain the battery. i'm wrong?

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

but then, i must leave always gps on? this would drain the battery. i'm wrong?

No.

Not unless you're using a application that uses GPS, as like I have said - it is used on demand when the need arises. :)

For example, you have it active, then load up Maps, then GPS is used. When you exit Maps or put it in the background GPS is de-activated until you bring it to the foreground again :)

d_borghi

d_borghi

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
hi t0mm13b,
you don't undestand my problem.

i turn on my zte. gps is off. i start COPILOT (for example): it says me to turn on gps: then i turn on gps. then all works fine.
When i stop close copilot, gps is still on.
then i turn off gps manually (by settings, etc. etc.).
if i need to restart copilot, copilot says me to re-turn on gps: i re-turn on gps, but gps doesn't works (no satellites).
Then i must restart all zte.
now all works fine.

tnx
db

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

hi t0mm13b,
you don't undestand my problem.

i turn on my zte. gps is off. i start COPILOT (for example): it says me to turn on gps: then i turn on GPS. then all works fine.
When i stop close copilot, gps is still on.
then i turn off gps manually (by settings, etc. etc.).
if i need to restart copilot, copilot says me to re-turn on gps: i re-turn on gps, but gps doesn't works (no satellites).
Then i must restart all zte.
now all works fine.

tnx
db

Hi
I don't use co-pilot but is was having the same issues with Google Maps and My Tracks etc.
This works for me.
Use setting turn ON GPS.
Reboot your phone.
Do NOT use settings or any widget to turn GPS ON or OFF
Allow the apps to automatically turn GPS on/off as required.
This way GPS is only turned on as it is required -leaving the GPS ON in settings will NOT drain your battery!

I hope this solves your problem

Bill

Edit: Typo's....

Edited by bill48er, 20 August 2012 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

d_borghi

d_borghi

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
mmmmhh, if GPS on doesn't drain the battery then i will set rom in the way you sa.
tnx
db

luciano_boy12

luciano_boy12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Racer
nice ROM!! is the best ROM in Blade 256MB RAM (Brazil).

just found a bug in rom. the light sensor does not work correctly, the light sensor does not work properly, takes too long to activate

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

mmmmhh, if GPS on doesn't drain the battery then i will set rom in the way you sa.
tnx
db

Hi
From the "menu" try "settings" "about the phone" then "battery use".
At the top of the screen you will see a graph overlaid with "h m s on battery" tap on this and a full size graph is shown and a list of what has been using the battery and when.
It's brilliant and I only discovered it by accident the other day. I've only had the phone for 18 months and have been using this ROM since the 13b version!
I would RTFM but I can't find a M to FR :P

Bill

Posted Image

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

nice ROM!! is the best ROM in Blade 256MB RAM (Brazil).

just found a bug in rom. the light sensor does not work correctly, the light sensor does not work properly, takes too long to activate

Hi
Are you referring to "screen brightness"?
I've found that if you use any widget to control this the the phone gets confused - a bit like the GPS issues discussed above - I've found that it seems to work quite happily just using "settings" "display" "brightness".
Although I would like a short cut the switch to full brightness when I suddenly, but rarely, find myself in bright sunshine :-D

Posted Image

bill48er

bill48er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
@t0mm13b

Hi again, been using 21 ROM for a week or so now - must say it's so far it has been the most stable ROM since I stripped my GEN 1 stock ROM to bare bones - leaving only the basic functions in place - similar to the principals of this ROM really.
For this install I reinstalled CW recovery and did a factory reset as well as the usual clearing of both cache files - before doing the install - can I get the memory any cleaner than that?

The issue I had with HiSurfing and Droidwall firewalls (see above) unfortunately returned on ROM 20 when I had thought I'd found the cure - BUT they happily co-exist for me with the latest ROM - go figure... something to do with the deep clean before ROM installation maybe?

Q? I can see both "launchers" in the 21 ROM zip file but on installation I got ADW by default and no sign of the original launcher2 - did I miss a "choose" step during the install?
It was a bit of a fiddle in getting "launcher2" out of the zip and back on to the phone - but I managed :-)

Nice work Tom and thank you for a lovely stable frill free ROM.

Posted Image

Sashka21

Sashka21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Hello t0mm13b! I tryed build AOSP 2.3.7? but i hove some problem. Can you help me?

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Hello t0mm13b! I tryed build AOSP 2.3.7? but i hove some problem. Can you help me?

What is the problem? I cannot tell nor help - please be more clearer :)

toastie99

toastie99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
Hi t0mm13b,

Did you have any luck with the 2G/3G data disconnect issue? I can replicate the issue 100% simply by switching to 2G only in settings then switching back to 3G. This results in me losing my ability to browse the Internet (notification bar suggests i have a data connection though). The only way to restore it is to disable data and re-enable it through settings (or use Airplane mode). Despite the bug i still use the ROM because everything else is pretty much perfect for how i use the phone. I have tried v21 but the issue still exists. Thanks again for the work put in so far.

toastie99

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users