Huawei Ascend G300 reviews

Guest gregorv

Guest gregorv
Guest everett_psycho

recombu are saying huawei state it's upper entry level, what the hell are they planning on sticking out in the market for less than £100?

Guest Sebastian404

recombu are saying huawei state it's upper entry level, what the hell are they planning on sticking out in the market for less than £100?

The Blaze?

If I remember rightly from WMC, they have 3 ranges, the G, D & P. The G are Single Core, the P are Dual Core and the Quad core.

I did get quite confused with the G300 as I was sure they where calling it G200 at MWC, unless that was a different device.

Guest gregorv

Hello Paul

In other topic I read that yor are making a review of this phone.

Is this review already out? If not, when do you plan to release it to the public ? :)

Thank you.

Guest gregorv

new review:

http://recombu.com/reviews/huawei/ascend-g300/

Huawei Ascend G300: Conclusion

In much the Same way the Orange San Francisco was a landmark handset for 2010, the Huawei Ascend G300 is a landmark for 2012. Cheap, powerful, attractive, competent and highly customisable. There's nothing else on the market that competes at the price-point and we're still in disbelief as to just how cheap it is despite the couple of niggles, most of which can be remedied by a root around the Google Play store. Wrapping up, at £100. Need one? Get one. Simple.

Guest gregorv

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5812/vodafone-huawei-ascend-g300-budget-android-phone-review

Verdict

We love the G300. It might be a little lacking in power, but as a phone it ticks all the basic boxes. We can say, without doubt, that this is by far the best budget handset running Android that we've used. It has the feel and look of a far more expensive phone, and we really enjoyed using it.

The screen is brilliant, and outshines those found on the Orange San Francisco II or the T-Mobile Vivacity. It's bright, colourful and detailed, and we really found it enjoyable to look at. We'd prefer the touchscreen were a little more sensitive, but it's not dreadful most of the time.

The speed is good, overall, and we found the call quality to be excellent. If you're a person who uses a phone for phoning, you'll be very happy with the Ascend G300. We could live without the Vodafone customisations, and stupid game trials, but aside from that, this is a wonderful phone that would happily draw us to the Vodafone network, were we in the market for such a device.

Guest Davidoff59

Its a new chip so there is very little info out there on it. Do a google search for qualcomm 7227a chip and you wont see much references for ones running 1ghz. I think it only came out in Feb this year.

Guest gregorv

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/huawei-ascend-g300-review-50007180/

Conclusion

The G300 is the new kid on the bargain block and the first of Huawei's Ascend series -- so expect to see and hear a lot more from the company. Don't be deceived by the price -- it's the new star of the Android bargain basement. You'll be hard-pressed to make your money go further.

Huawei's slab of Gingerbread shows budget Androids don't have to compromise on basic usability. It's not super-speedy, super-stylish or super-endowed in the camera lens department, but for £100, you wouldn't expect it to be. If you want a cheap but capable smart phone for apps, Internet, email and more, the G300 is a winner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/17/huawei-ascend-g-300-review_n_1430686.html

Guest Simon O

Not happy with most of reviews. They all seem to be written by people that have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The Cnet one is OK though.

Cannot wait to read Pauls review when he gets back

Guest NeostarNeko

I agree there no information at all in them :angry:

Where is the specification?

What is it like to use the apps?

What's the camera image like?

Is there any USB on-the-go support?

What about Adobe Flash, does it work?

Is YouTube quality clear and lag free?

Can you use other headphones with it?

How long can the battery last?

Is the battery removable?

Does it have MicroSD support?

I am sure there are many questions but basically there is no technical information at all by these crap reviews <_<

Guest gregorv

http://www.gadgetxpert.co.uk/review-huawei-ascend-g300/

Conclusion

There are so many decent Android phones out there at the moment, but sadly not everyone can afford them, but know we have the Huawei Ascend G300, the super cheap GingerBread smartphone from Vodafone.co.uk. This device is perfect for anyone, those looking for a cheap phone, or possibly your first smartphone, who knows, but it is still cheap. Wooohooooo!

Guest ManOfSteal

I bought one the other day as a spare because my old HTC Desire is in for repair (and will be for a few weeks...). Obviously a similar spec for a quarter of the cost I paid for the Desire just two years ago. Apart from the obvious speaker bug, I'm impressed, although the screen isn't quite as good as the Desire. Music playback quality via headphones is good and much better than the Desire, louder and without the distortion you get from the latter at higher volumes. Another thing that has always been irksome on my Desire (regardless of ROM used) is the GPS locking time, no such problem with the G300. Battery life has also been good so far, even with a lot of Wifi use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gregorv
Guest dragpyre

Hope this review is better guys!

(based on my ebay and GSMarena one's)

"I bought this phone because I needed a new phone and my old phone, a Huawei Blaze, wasn't keeping up with what I needed (Don't get me wrong, for £70 that phone was brilliant) Saw this one for £100 and I thought, why the hell not?

Received the phone still sealed in its box, it runs a 1GHZ (1008mhz) processor, Adreno 200 GPU, 512MB RAM, 2.5GB internal storage(around 480MB is used for the system itself, so you have 2.02 to play with) Android 2.3.6 (will be getting an ICS update in the summer/autumn,, both Huawei and Vodafone have confirmed this!), a 4" touch screen with 480 x 800 pixel capacitive touch screen display, 5MP camera with autofocus and flash, GPS, G-Sensor, Mic noise compression for HD phone calls, a light sensor, and connects via USB 2.0. There is no USB OTG support as far as I can see.

The box also contains a USB cable, manuals, warranty, charger adapter and a stereo headset. Huawei keep their packaging simple, and don't use too much card or plastic, only what's needed.

The phone's power button is on the top, volume is on the left side of the phone, and the Micro USB port is on the bottom. The front is black, with light up touch buttons on the bottom of the front panel. The battery cover is silver, and the rest is white. It sounds ugly, but when you see it, its not. The phone is weighty, but to me shows its durability and strength. Under the battery cover, you can see the battery, SD card slot and SIM slot. The battery is removable (you need to remove it to insert your SIM card), and SD cards up to 32GB are supported. The headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm, so normal headphones can be used, and sound quality is good, loud and with little white noise.

Powering the phone on the first time, you are greeted by Huawei splash screens, and then you are taken to the first time run wizard. The purpose of this is to get you connected to Google, set up your account and sync any data/apps if you have upgraded.

The default lock screen is uniquely designed. It is a ring in the centre surrounded by a circle with 4 points along it. Dragging it in a certain direction performs a different function. Dragging it to the right unlocks the phone normally, , to the left takes you to messaging, up takes you to the call log, and down to the camera. This allows you to complete common tasks faster.

The Camera is a 5MP offering with flash and auto-focus. Pictures look crisp, and the focus takes close ups excellently, almost macro-like quality. Colours appear bright, even on auto, although its best to tinker with the various settings on the camera, like white balance and exposure, to get the best shot. In lower lighting however, minus flash, colours can appear a little washed out, and using flash can make the photo a little blurry, but for £100, you cannot complain about it, it is an excellent feature.

Following the lock screen, you are taken to your home screen. The default launcher is the default "Huawei" Launcher, which is colourful and relatively speedy, however, I'd recommend downloading Go Launcher Ex from Google Play (Android Market) for a better experience and built in task manager. Huawei have also bundled in the usual apps, a free version of Documents to Go, AllBackup, App Installer, as well as all the typical Google apps, including G+, Maps, Messenger, Mail and Voice Search. Twitter and Facebook have been preloaded, as well as Youtube, a Weather Clock, so has the TouchPal Keyboard and a handy Traffic Manager app, for keeping an eye on data usage.

After installing Go Launcher and an ICS theme, I start gettinng apps. Fruit Ninja, Dragon, Fly!, Dillo Hills, Flash Player (YES, IT HAS FLASH SUPPORT!) Tap Tap Revenge 4, Remote Desktop, Ninesky Browser, Angry Birds, Angry Birds Space. All run amazingly fast. This ARMv7 processor can really keep up, and deals with multi-tasking amazingly. Battery life on normal use is about 12 - 15 hours, decent! Youtube and BBC iPlayer are crisp and stutter free, and the screen shows colours well.

Running a benchmark using "Benchmark & Tuning Free", this phone scores an average of 4912, which puts it above the Huawei U8800, LG P970, and the P500. This phone is 700 points short of being as good as a HTC Incredible S. If Huawei get the ICS update right, we could see amazing performance increases! On AnTuTu's Benchmark app, I see that this phone gets a score of 2872 on average, which puts it on par with the Google Nexus One and the Desire S. 40 - 60FPS on the 3D benchmarks, and even higher on the 2D benches. CFBench shows a score of 5998, 1798, 3478, which puts it well above the Nexus S and well above the HTC Hero.

NOTE, some phones may have a software speaker issue which makes it quiet. My phone's build ends in B886 (strange, I know, mine must have been rogue, because Vodafone's is normally B882 aren't they?), so its unaffected, but many B882 models are. Huawei are working on a fix, which should be out soon, so don't let it put you off! B884 builds appear to be unaffected though (you can find your build in Settings -> About Phone). Get onto Modaco if you need a quick fix before an official one!

Phone can be rooted, I've already done so! (thanks to Paul!)

For £100, this phone beats the competition. Grab one while its hot!"

EDIT: Here are some images from when I was in Starbucks showing the focus off!

2474461-i2aa.jpg2474460-u1tg.jpg

Here are some guts to show off the flash XD:

2474464-omou.jpg

Edited by dragpyre