How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Stefano manaccialamaronna

If you've been following my antics with the G300, you'll have seen that i've found a couple of security holes and a working root exploit. I've been able to use these to extract the stock images from the device and to build a modified recovery image to flash via fastboot, which means disclosure of the other root method isn't necessary. Which is good, it might be needed later.

Strangely, 'fastboot boot' doesn't work on the G300 so the usual superboot approach won't work, so i've created a 'SuperRecovery'. This is a stock recovery image with 2 changes - firstly the ADB access is upgraded to root, secondly the recovery will automatically install Superuser / SU on start (in the same way as a superboot). This means it will give you root while maintaining compatability with stock upgrades applied via the stock recovery.

Download and instructions can be found below!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• SuperRecovery r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 76a8fe61badc3a27fbfde4427ffad965

How to use SuperRecovery - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the SuperRecovery zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn off the phone, pull the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume DOWN' button pressed to enter the bootloader. The device will stay at the Huawei logo.

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superrecovery-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superrecovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-superrecovery-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superrecovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-superrecovery-linux.sh'

- When prompted, put your device in recovery mode - turn off the phone, pull the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume UP' button pressed to enter recovery. When recovery has loaded, you are rooted! Select the reboot option using the power button and you're done!

Enjoy! wink.gif

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

the super recovery tell me "wright recovere failed (command not allowed) where i wrong?

Guest patrikdani

in the recovery you have just install clockworkmod zip ,with update zip method.that will work

no it does not. it was the first thing i did tried. i am unable to flash cwm for 2 weeks now. i read many forums, but nothing... in adb keep getting syntax error unexpected word ")") did tried trough term. emulator too, i do have the busybox, so i have no idea now...

Guest dratdestroyer

I have a B892 phone.

I followed all the instructions and when I get to "press power to reboot" all I get is a picture of a hat on a onange circle.

I tried pressing power again and got the menu back.

So I pressed the house home key and the phone rebooted.

There is no SU and the phone is not rooted.

Any suggestions please?

Guest smurfinaus

Have one of these. Looked through the thread and followed instructions like others. No SU after the final reboot.

Have Hisuite installed and when i install-superrecovery-windows.bat it only comes up for like a split second. Went to recovery mode, did final reboot and no SU.On gingerbread & stock Vodafone AU...

Guest RC_cat

the super recovery tell me "wright recovere failed (command not allowed) where i wrong?

I'm in the same place but in B936

It can copy the file but it can't run the command.

Before when I have GB and B934, I haven't problems.

What can we do???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smurfinaus

Ok, I have now managed to root the phone in order to get administrative control of the phone i.e. so I can delete pre-installed apps. Anyone wanting to install the latest android os (without waiting for the official relese) will also need to do this first. S

This is what I did (at your own risk)

0- I don’t think this is necessary but can’t rule it out as I did it. Connect phone to a PC and install the drivers on the phone. I think there are two

1- Turn on USB DEBUGGING and uncheck Fast Boot

Go to Settings > Application Settings > Development and check the "USB Debugging" box. Also in application setting uncheck fast boot.

2- download the superrecovery file on to a pc (need software like winrar), once downloaded extract the files in to a folder.

3- Put the phone in bootloader modeSwitch phone off, take battery out, take USB out (if connected) wait a few seconds, put battery back in. Hold the volume down button and press the power buttons, release once Huawei log appears

The Huawei logo should not disappear, if it does you need to do step three again.

This may take several attempts, try holding longer on the volume down button and the power button.

4- Connect your phone to your PC. Now go to the folder where the downloaded file was extracted and double click the ‘install-superrecovery-windows.bat' file.

You should see a black screen, only last a few seconds, says something like ‘waiting for devise’

Phone screen remains the same on logo.

5- Switch phone off by taking battery out, take cable out, wait a few seconds, put battery back in. Now hold the volume up button and press the power button until the blue recovery screen appears. The ‘reboot devise’ should be highlighted, select it by pressing the power button.

6- Complete, phone should be rooted.

I downloaded the app rom toolbox. If it installs and allows you to use the app then your phone has been rooted.

Before downloading clear your cache (setting>application setting). Delete the app and re-install it if it doesn’t work the first time.

The app allows you to take control of the phone i.e. delete unwanted pre-installed app

Thanks to Paul and putbinoot

Thank you very much. This did it for me.Rooted!!! Yippee!!....Amazing what clear concise and complete instructions can do :)

Guest carrthee89

Hey guys i tried pauls rooting method today.. But unfortunately there is no superuser app installed.. Pressing vol up + power on takes me to the 3e recovery.. ( blue coloured thing).. Is there any flashable zip for super user .. so that i can flash it via recovery.. can it be do like that???

I have G300 on stock rom rooted and working fine with this method. Main reason was to remove Vodafone crap.

However, I'm having trouble getting Barclays mobile banking app to work. Have tried various tricks of trade to hide root by reading number of posts but no luck as Barclays app still able to find phone as rooted. Need help to rescue.

How do I now un-root phone or is there fool proof way to hide root / unroot temporarily?

I have G300 on stock rom rooted and working fine with this method. Main reason was to remove Vodafone crap.

However, I'm having trouble getting Barclays mobile banking app to work. Have tried various tricks of trade to hide root by reading number of posts but no luck as Barclays app still able to find phone as rooted. Need help to rescue.

How do I now un-root phone or is there fool proof way to hide root / unroot temporarily?

Out of frustration to find a way out, I stumbled upon following steps and it magically resolved the problem.

1. Start SuperSU app

2. Settings -> Reinstall (Cleanup for reinstallation from Google Play)

3. Wait for few seconds and app should close automatically. I believe it still retains root but just remove SuperSU app.

4. Reboot the phone

5. Reinstall SuperSU app from Google Play.

After that, started Barclays app and it launched without root warning!! I still have root access, did not have to disable /hide superuser. I have no clue what went behind the scene but certainly works in my case. If anyone stuck in this situation, give it a go and report here for everyone to know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wombleuk

Hi,

I've just taken the Vodafone upgrade to ICS and lost root.

I tried re-rooting with super recovery, but get

sending 'recovery' (5074 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

Cheers.

Guest hd-in-nb

just updated my phone to ICS with official ota update from vodafone. if I root my phone now can I get rid of vodafone graphics which appear on reboot?

thanks

Edited by hd-in-nb

Guest williamssr1

I've just taken the the official OTA update too and hit the same problem - ie. I've lost root and I the super recovery method no longer works. Dilemma is that I prefer ICS to GB, but want to remove the VF apps from the stock firmware - which was quite easy with the GB ROM.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spanjam

Hi all, I just upgraded my G300 to ICS following the istructions from my provider Yoigo (http://www.yoiggers.es/telefonos/la-actualizacion-a-android-4-0-del-huawei-ascend-g300-de-yoigo-ya-disponible/), all worked fine and now I am in version 4.0.3.

I have read in this forum that I can root it so I can eliminate the anoying phone question (when I change from wifi to data) if I want to continue to switch to data mode.

My questions are:

FYI, My phone is not unlocked yet.

Since the post was from the time I had the old Android version, can I still apply the Posted 16 April 2012 method from PaulOBrien??

Perhaps this is a silly question... Can the phone be unrooted and returned to the prior state?

Thanks in advance!

Span

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys! I've also upgradeed my ROM to ICS 4.0.3 and now have build B944. I followed Paul's steps and can get into superrecovery but my phone has neither SU nor is rooted which seems strange to me as I already have the recovery. Besides, I installed ES file explorer and it can't see my 8gb SD card which I formated before putting it into the device. What do I need to root root my g300 on WinXP. Thnx in advance!

Edited by cp1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just taken the Vodafone upgrade to ICS and lost root.

I tried re-rooting with super recovery, but get

sending 'recovery' (5074 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

Cheers.

same s*** here, did you solve it?

Guest moochermick

Thank you so much, done in 5 mins. I rooted then swapped superrecovery.img with clockwork.img ran it again and rooted with clockwork :)

Im on stock gingerbread but now have options thanks to this great forum.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bulldog38

Hi,

I've just taken the Huawei Global upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 B952 and lost root.

I tried re-rooting with super recovery, root and unlock but nothing happens there is no root. I tried several times.

Sorry English is not my native language
Edited by Bulldog38