Photo

How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200

I'm a bit new to this- I've managed to start it up with the volume down held and it gets stuck on the huawei screen (bootloader mode?) but when I try to connect it to my computer, I get that USB failed noise and it doesn't come up. The cable and USB ports definitely work because I've transferred music onto the phone. What obvious step have I missed?

Reboot phone and connect USB, under my computer one of the items should have drivers for your phone. Copy this to desktop. Then go back to bootloader, open up devices under my computer and look for the failed one. Update drivers and point it to that folder. I did that.

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Devices:POV Mobii 10.1
  • Twitter:@dbase
Hi
I think I may have turned on fastboot. I cannot get into bootloader mode.
How do I turn off fastboot?

Thanks

bumps

bumps

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Desire Z
pull the batt and usb cable out

Taann

Taann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Reboot phone and connect USB, under my computer one of the items should have drivers for your phone. Copy this to desktop. Then go back to bootloader, open up devices under my computer and look for the failed one. Update drivers and point it to that folder. I did that.

Cheers! I saw the driver in the non-storage android thingy and installed that and it worked! Finally got rid of the Vodafone crud.

punjabi

punjabi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
What Vodafone apps or stuff did you get rid off, Taan? I'd be curious to know as I've heard that removing some can affect the system...

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Devices:POV Mobii 10.1
  • Twitter:@dbase

Hi
I think I may have turned on fastboot. I cannot get into bootloader mode.
How do I turn off fastboot?

Thanks

Found it. Fastboot option is under application settings

muppet&chums

muppet&chums

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:reading the back of cornflake packets
  • Devices:G300, zte blade, jailbroke3G
HELP

Think I screwed this up or the instructions are a little lacking. It flashed across from W7 and I put it into recovery mode but nothing intuitive presented itself.
So i'm at a G300 screen which doesn't inspire confidence.

It says - Android system recovery <3e>

Choose a package to install:
/sdcard
../
.PocketCloud/
.android_secure/
Android/
DCIM/
Download/
LOST.DIR/
PocketCloud/
SmsContactsBackup/
media/

I can go up & down the list, using the volume control, but not to the previous screen ?

What am I missing ? Waiting patiently.

M&C

Edited by muppet&chums, 22 April 2012 - 04:42 PM.

bumps

bumps

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
press the back button then pick reboot

Edited by bumps, 22 April 2012 - 04:42 PM.

muppet&chums

muppet&chums

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

press the back button then pick reboot

Errrr. What back button ?

We go up the directory list = Volume UP

We go down the directory list = Volume DOWN

We have the on off button ( possibly 'the brick' button).

No ' Back Button ' anywhere that I can see, hardware or software.

Do you mean . . / and press the power on/off switch ?

Do I panic now ?

M&C

Edited by muppet&chums, 22 April 2012 - 04:56 PM.

bumps

bumps

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
on the list of stuff you see

Choose a package to install:
/sdcard
../
.PocketCloud/
.android_secure/
Android/
DCIM/
Download/
LOST.DIR/
PocketCloud/
SmsContactsBackup/
media/

highlight ../ and press the power button

then highlight reboot system now, press power button

muppet&chums

muppet&chums

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

THANK YOU. Bumps.

Rebooted and a SuperUser SU widget staring at me as I type.

( Now if only I could get rid of that Vodafone shite )

Taann

Taann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What Vodafone apps or stuff did you get rid off, Taan? I'd be curious to know as I've heard that removing some can affect the system...

I am not using a Vodafone sim any more so I can't say if they would bugger it up if you are.
I removed everything that had a Vodafone logo on it when opened including Qype, all of their music stuff, their store, the free games and demos. Everything's working fine.

dancg

dancg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn off the phone, pull the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume DOWN' button pressed to enter the bootloader. The device will stay at the Huawei logo.

Please, help I am still a noob and I do not want to mess around with this...

I am following this instructions but nothing happens when I turn on my G300 with the 'volume DOWN'button pressed. Should I see something different? I believe my phone boots normally. Should I go ahead and run the script to root? Or am I missing a first step that everybody assumed but me hence my phone doesn't get into bootloader mode? Should the USB cable be connected at this step?

Sorry for bothering with such a dumb question, but I want to make sure I knwo what I do.

Thanks a lot

dancg

dancg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Please, help I am still a noob and I do not want to mess around with this...

I am following this instructions but nothing happens when I turn on my G300 with the 'volume DOWN'button pressed. Should I see something different? I believe my phone boots normally. Should I go ahead and run the script to root? Or am I missing a first step that everybody assumed but me hence my phone doesn't get into bootloader mode? Should the USB cable be connected at this step?

Sorry for bothering with such a dumb question, but I want to make sure I knwo what I do.

Thanks a lot

OK, I've managed to do this. I wasn't holding the volume DOWN key long enough when the phone was starting, so it never got into the bootloader mode. Just holding the volume DOWN key a bit longer did the trick. However, now I find myself stuck in the next step, when I run the ./install-superrecovery-linux.sh command, it stays in "Waiting for device" and it never continues. Is the phone suppose to be connected when entering into bootloader mode, or should I plug it in once the script has been executed? It is like if my PC does not detect the phone, however if I go into "normal mode" it does detect the phone as a USB device...

Any help?

Thanks!

Edited by dancg, 24 April 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Keep power and volume down pressed at the same to time for approx 10 seconds or more. The Huawei logo stays on and won't go any further. If it just boots, then your letting go too soon.

dancg

dancg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Keep power and volume down pressed at the same to time for approx 10 seconds or more. The Huawei logo stays on and won't go any further. If it just boots, then your letting go too soon.

Thanks Davidoff, I figured that out right before your post :)

I am now however stuck in the next step... see my post above. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and I execute the script but it never goes further than "Waiting for device...", and my phone it is already USB plugged in. Is there anything I am missing? I am clearly in bootmode because the Huawei logo is visible.

Thanks,

dan

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
Have all the phone drivers been installed? I would plug the phone in normally when switched on and go through the standard steps of installing drivers for the phone. It should install them automatically but took a while for me.

dancg

dancg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Have all the phone drivers been installed? I would plug the phone in normally when switched on and go through the standard steps of installing drivers for the phone. It should install them automatically but took a while for me.

Well, I have basically installed the android-sdk-linux. Is there anything else I need? Do I have to select options like "USB debugging" or "Unknown sources" in my Android settings before rebootong to bootloader mode?

Thanks a lot!

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
USB debugging needs to be ticked

dancg

dancg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

USB debugging needs to be ticked

Thanks for your time David. However, I am still missing something and I don't know what is it. The script still stays in "Waiting for device". I believe I have all drivers installed because if I run adb devices I get the following response

dan@dan ~/Downloads/r1-g300-superrecovery $ adb devices
List of devices attached 
10C61F515938	device

I guess this proves that my Ubuntu recognises OK the device. I have also ticked USB debugging option in Android settings. Is there anything else I can be missing?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users