How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest FrankieADZ

Another dumb question, does installing a vendor update remove the root and cwm installation?

i had to redo them when I upgraded to B888

Guest maritimesbob

Little problem. I had originally rooted and installed cwm just fine. I then installed a vendor update B866 I believe, which runs fine. However I now have no root or cwm. I'm guessing I need to root the phone again?

Problem is, try as I might I cannot get the phone into bootloader mode. I have pulled the battery, held down the volume button and powered up like I did before but the logo comes up for a few seconds and then the phone boots up like normal.

Guest FrankieADZ

Little problem. I had originally rooted and installed cwm just fine. I then installed a vendor update B866 I believe, which runs fine. However I now have no root or cwm. I'm guessing I need to root the phone again?

Problem is, try as I might I cannot get the phone into bootloader mode. I have pulled the battery, held down the volume button and powered up like I did before but the logo comes up for a few seconds and then the phone boots up like normal.

did u turn Fastboot off in the applications bit in the settings?

Guest eirlysbill1

Another thing with bootloader mode is to release the power button after it vibrates but hold volume down like another 10 seconds

Guest maritimesbob

Another thing with bootloader mode is to release the power button after it vibrates but hold volume down like another 10 seconds

That did the trick, wasn't holding down the volume long enough. Rooted and ready to go, thanks.............

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I have a question regarding rooting.

I want to root my G300 phone in order to uninstall games like The Sims 3 Trial, Uno Trial, Qype, Vodafone Discover, Music Shop, etc. I understand that the only way to get rid of these vodafone apps is by rooting the phone. :unsure:

Now before I go on to root the phone. I would like to ask if there are any negative implications to rooting the mobile phone? Have you experienced any other problems, etc from rooting the G300 like unusual behaviour, crashes, performance issues, etc? I want to be extra cautious and not to rush into this. :blush:

From what I'm reading if I upgrade to the B888 ROM then it will get rid of these apps. But I have no guts to do so since it's not an official ROM from Vodafone and it may void warranty as it won't allow me to return back to stock Vodafone ROM. So for now I am happy to stick to the B885 ROM. I just want to get rid of those apps.

But with rooting from my knowledge before having previously rooted a Galaxy Ace, you can fully unroot it to get rid of the Super User to return back your warranty. Further more, is it necessary to back-up the phone before rooting it?

And if the procedure is safe, (assuming there aren't going to be any problems after rooting) how do I go abouts uninstalling those vodafone bloatware after rooting the phone?

Thanks! :)

Guest FrankieADZ

i haven't ever experienced performance issues as of yet with ever doing rooting tbf. its up to u if u want to back it up before rooting, ive never done it myself as it only app the superuser icon to ur apps...

if it was me I'd just install B888 but Im a risk taker tbf, easiest and probably the quickest way to get all the Voda rubbish off

Guest Zelebrator

Hi all,

Sorry if the question seems dumb. I played around with my new G300, and as it is my first Android phone it took a couple of days until I discovered the need for backups. Titanium needs root access, so I finally arrived here.

My question: Will everything be deleted from the G300 when following this guide how to root the G300? Because then I see a problem for me: I want to backup the current setup of my phone, but for backing up everything completely I would need to root which might involve loosing everything.

Please tell me where I'm right or wrong ;-)

Thanks for the great guide and tool,

Z.

Guest FrankieADZ

Hi all,

Sorry if the question seems dumb. I played around with my new G300, and as it is my first Android phone it took a couple of days until I discovered the need for backups. Titanium needs root access, so I finally arrived here.

My question: Will everything be deleted from the G300 when following this guide how to root the G300? Because then I see a problem for me: I want to backup the current setup of my phone, but for backing up everything completely I would need to root which might involve loosing everything.

Please tell me where I'm right or wrong ;-)

Thanks for the great guide and tool,

Z.

rooting wont remove any apps or anything off ur g300, it will just added root access & a SU icon.

Guest locky123

Couldnt get it to root as Windows 7 was not recognising phone. Already connected phone to PC to upload some music so knew it had been recognised. Checked drivers under My Device and saw it was missing the phone drivers, so had to install Win 7 drivers and then rooted OK.

Guest michal.siman

Seems like wrong driver mate, try install original software from Huawei website called HiSuite - there is correct driver.

Guest nylacika

I rooted the phone with this md5 file. The root is perfect but still that time I can't use OTA. The update file comes down but in recovery it notes that the updateing has failed. Can you help me?

Guest cartoone

hi Guys,

Will rooting unlock my phone from vodafone to any networks?

I was planning to buy the unlock code from ebay, but just checking if the rooting will automatically do that.

ta

Guest skull_fcuk

just wanted to say thanks to Modaco in general for helping me maximise the potential of yet another low price high value phone. Have rooted and installed CWM with no stress all thanks to the help of you guys.

Also, Tilal, you've got a massive wedge of respect, for all your work i utilised on the Blade, and shortly on the Ascend. All the best for your exams, and I look forward to sampling your work again, soon.

Guest Maximus9

Just want to say that although I am an experienced user, I find all to be too cryptic. From where do I get Win7 drivers? My device is not recognized in device manager. On Huawei site there is no software for g300.

Everybody gives short and undocumented answers.

Could someone post a step-by-step guide?

Something like:

1.You have to disable fastboot (A: Go to Settings/Applications)

2.You have to tick USB debugging mode (A: Settings/Applications/Development)

3.You have to install drivers from ??? (A: Go to http://flibblesan.co...t_WinDriver.exe)

Or you can find them on the CD drive that your phone creates when you connect to your PC. So it creates 3 drives, one CD and 2 drives.

4. ????

N.What you should do after rooting: uninstall vodafone crap, and what else?

Thanks guys.

Also it should be made clear that you can skip rooting and install ROM B888 made by Paul. Also lacking of clear instructions how to do that.

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Davidoff59

I agree with the point of what your saying although it is difficult to give a guide on what to remove as everyone is different. All the vodafone stuff and games can be removed safely. Also going straight to Paul's B888 wont fix the sound issues.

Drivers are installed automatically more often than not

Guest Maximus9

I agree with the point of what your saying although it is difficult to give a guide on what to remove as everyone is different. All the vodafone stuff and games can be removed safely. Also going straight to Paul's B888 wont fix the sound issues.

Drivers are installed automatically more often than not

My point was that the information is presented too cryptic. Nothing for the inexperienced. Drivers are installed on computers with autoplay activated I guess. Anyway, there is a big lack of info on how to do things.

On another topic on this site is even stated that B888 is an official release.. and so on. I installed it actually believing that. Then I thought it is PAul's ROM so it might get me a rooted device... but no... the best link I found for beginners is http://www.modaco.co...-and-i-cant-do/

Here is the post saying B888 is official: http://www.modaco.co...40#entry1947989

LE: seems like more peoplee say is official... anyway, here is the topic http://www.modaco.com/topic/353923-new-b888-rom-from-huawei-download-link-inside/

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Davidoff59

B884, B886 and B888 are leaked versions.

B882 and B885 are official releases.

I have stated in the thread you linked that's its not official as it hasn't been released by Huawei.

Guest Maximus9

does doing a factory reset remove root access?

No, I don't think it will, but if you go in SuperSU application in Settings you have there an option called Full unroot.