Huawei loudspeaker issue DEFINITELY software related.

Guest misterleoni

Guest Patrick73

Can confirm that you just need to open the Spirit app and close it again once it has loaded and the general volume goes up to optimum levels until a reboot is performed. the only downside is that the speaker is constantly emitting a low hiss. I wonder if the problem IS fixable in software or if there is a slight hardware issue that prevents any *real* fix outside of this FM hack. Huawei are not being very vocal about it. You'd think they might have made a statement and offered a timeline for some sort of patch if it were simply an issue with audio filters. Clearly we are only getting the correct levels when FM is running - the sound itself when the hack is performed almost seems like it is being transmitted over FM rather than just getting higher...that's how it seems to me anyway. Hopefully I'm just being cynical unnecessarily though.

Please phone them on the number I gave on my topic. Also I have been doing posts on there uk Facebook page. Plus emailing vodafone too.

The more people the better. I have also contacted a top uk tech site too about it. And was told they will keep and eye out for the problems

Guest Patrick73

I have had to reinstall the app as I had removed it, but installed again, and this time i was able to set the option not to ask for the headphones,

So after every reboot or turn off, you have to run it again, it seems to turn the bluetooth on for some reason and once it has done that when you press the apps power button, it can be sent back to the home screen and kill tasks.

And you should have the fm volume come on when you press the volume button instead of the ringer volume one.

Also if you have a task killer installed make sure you have it set not to close it when you kill task's

Guest Patrick73
1334926837' post=1938310']

It's odd that none of the reviews mentioned this problem. What changed for the retail handsets?

What might have happened is like one uk tech site told me, the reviews where only at a preview, where there would be many things around them making noise. So would not have shown up as much...

Guest misterleoni

I suspect it might be a bug with the Vodafone firmware but it's hard to say until we get hold of generic firmware. I find it hard to believe that Huawei would have got the product through its full testing phase without noticing.

Guest Frankish

Only just bought my phone and charging it now. Can someone please for me...

Download alogcat. Start music app and play a song at full volume. Save the logcat.

Start fm radio and let it play at full volume. Save the logcat.

Apply the temp hack/fix and play a song at full volume. save and post all three logcats here. I want to have a nosey.

Guest zbvif

yeah you are right works with spirit fm radio

Can someone clarify WHICH "Spirit FM" app people are talking about?

I have installed the "Spirt FM" based apparently on the UKRD Radio Player. But that seems to use the "Media Volume", not the "FM Volume" (so whe I turn it dow , everything else goes down).

Is this the right one? (I am loathe to download the other 'Spirit FM' listed - an american Christian station....)

I have managed to get the inbuilt FM 'fix' to work, and have cut off a headphone jack to leave ~3mm to allow it to be pulled back out. But that confuses the phome somewhat - some things try to play through the headphones..

Neal

Guest zbvif

Only just bought my phone and charging it now. Can someone please for me...

Download alogcat. Start music app and play a song at full volume. Save the logcat.

Start fm radio and let it play at full volume. Save the logcat.

Apply the temp hack/fix and play a song at full volume. save and post all three logcats here. I want to have a nosey.

Done. Never used alogcat before, so I think the 2nd and 3rd files are an accumulation of all - but should be easy to find out.

The files are timed, and the actions were don in the order you specified. (musice, FM, music with FM)

Neal

alogcat.2012-04-20-14-46-07+0100.txt

alogcat.2012-04-20-14-47-04+0100.txt

alogcat.2012-04-20-14-47-33+0100.txt

Guest misterleoni

Comparing this device with the iPhone 4S it has a smoother sound, albeit slightly less loud. SUCH a shame they let them slip out with this bug as it would be enough to convince many people to take them back as they would just assume the phone is either faulty or has an irredeemably shitty loudspeaker. I've not heard a peep from Huawei about the issue. Can't find a single acknowledgmen, which is poor considering they are trying to make themselves into a force on the mobile market. They should perhaps take example from Apple (much as I hate to say that). They would have at least acknowledged an issue by now and sought to resolve it.

Guest Patrick73

Comparing this device with the iPhone 4S it has a smoother sound, albeit slightly less loud. SUCH a shame they let them slip out with this bug as it would be enough to convince many people to take them back as they would just assume the phone is either faulty or has an irredeemably shitty loudspeaker. I've not heard a peep from Huawei about the issue. Can't find a single acknowledgmen, which is poor considering they are trying to make themselves into a force on the mobile market. They should perhaps take example from Apple (much as I hate to say that). They would have at least acknowledged an issue by now and sought to resolve it.

They have reply to me via facebook and also via direct message on facebook. as I got carried away and for every post they made about this phone about buying it, I posted about how bad the speaker is. Also they did remove some posts as they claimed i was spamming them.

I think just call the london number on their website and if you on facebook there too.

Cheers

Guest kradcliffe

Excellent Paul,

Did you mention about the low / distorting headset volume when playing music / videos?

The sound quality is very good, just far too low!

Thanks - Keith

Edited by kradcliffe

Guest Patrick73

Facebook huawei wanted my mobile number to "chat" to me, but told they are working on a fix and should be ready asap. But cannot say when.

Never gave my number out. But they replied anyway.

Guest Modifoid

On the spirt fm app you can reduce the volume of the white noise.

Go to settings / Audio / Volume Scale / then put in a value of 1.

EDIT - A value of 0.01 almost eliminates the white noise.

Edited by Modifoid

Guest Patrick73

I have the fm app volume control so speaker is louder.

I pulled out the charger this morning @6:55am and after 1 hour its down 5% from 100%

I'm on 2g and nothing running apart from the normal android stuuf that runs by default.

Also I do not lower the screen brightness its at full. thats how i like it.

So far I have not used wifi today, but looking at 20 hours if the rate stays the same.

its 17:24 now and battery down to 48% with 2g only and some data use over wifi, and a few phone calls but not what i would normally do due my mother laptop needed sorting out.

but FM app running all the time today..

Edited by Patrick73

Guest punjabi

Hi guys

Just a quick one really, I've downloaded BBC iplayer from the market with Flash. When playing videos on there through the speaker the volume isn't exactly low... Anybody else noticed this? It is however very low with YouTube etc.

Guest misterleoni

BBC iPlayer audio levels are high anyway, even on iOS streams, so that will be why it seems better. I used iPlayer to demo the poor speaker on this phone on my YouTube channel and the difference is still massive, though it is a little more audible than YouTube as long as there's no background noise. It has no relation to the FM fix though.