Battery Drain

Guest vinnyjones

Guest vinnyjones

I have recently purchased a G300, rooted it, installed Clockwork Recovery and generally stuck with the standard rom (apart from removing the vodafone apps and game trials)

I have a problem though, on my phone the Android System is showing the highest battery use of around the 50% mark.

Has anyone else experienced a similar drain?

I have frozen most user and some system applications to see if this number would drop but unfortunately had no luck..

Guest vinnyjones

Ok so this gets even weirder..

I reverted back to a complete stock rom and the only thing i've done is root that rom.

I'm still having the problem though, in fact Android System has gone up to over 71% of battery used.

I'm completely baffled, i'm going to recalibrate the battery by doing a complete charge to 100% and then wiping batter stats but i'm really confused..

Is it possible that the phone has a hardware fault?

The only thing I can think of doing at this point is to revert back to stock without rooting it and see if I get the same problem.

Can rooting even cause a battery drain through the android system?

Guest Davidoff59

Dianne Hackborne, Google Engineer stated that wiping battery stats served no purpose whatsoever and that its a waste of time.

Have you had a look to see whats running? Are you having battery drain issues are do you see that 71% and think its using up a lot of battery?

If you click the graph at the top under battery use, it gives some more information like signal, awake,screen on, charging.

I imagine android system usage is entirely dependent on specific use. If you have nothing else running, then its entirely plausable that android system is the only thing running which is why it then shows a high percentage. If you were using the phone, then screen on and other things like your browser will probably push android system off the stats altogether so that you dont even see it. I think you have nothing to worry about unless you actually have high battery drain

Guest FlatPackPete

Dianne Hackborne, Google Engineer stated that wiping battery stats served no purpose whatsoever and that its a waste of time.

Have you had a look to see whats running? Are you having battery drain issues are do you see that 71% and think its using up a lot of battery?

If you click the graph at the top under battery use, it gives some more information like signal, awake,screen on, charging.

I imagine android system usage is entirely dependent on specific use. If you have nothing else running, then its entirely plausable that android system is the only thing running which is why it then shows a high percentage. If you were using the phone, then screen on and other things like your browser will probably push android system off the stats altogether so that you dont even see it. I think you have nothing to worry about unless you actually have high battery drain

I second that. Sometimes it's too easy to look into details and think there's a problem when in fact nothings wrong. If you think your total battery level is draining too quickly then these stats are useful, otherwise is doesn't mean anything.

Guest Davidoff59

We also dont know what that 71% figure is, whether its 71% of a full battery so 71% of 100% battery which would be an issue, or its more likely to be 71% of 1% battery used. For example with no other power used whatsoever including screen or radios, lets be hypothetical here

Battery 29% left, android system has used 71% would make you start wondering why its using so much battery.

Battery 99% left, android system has used 71% so its used up 71% of that 1% battery drain.

Now you start to see. I hope the above makes sense.

Guest vinnyjones

I definitely had a battery drain issue (battery would last about 7-8 hours), which led me to start investigating.. I bought this phone because I used to own a t-mobile pules (another huawei) and the battery life on that phone was brilliant.

So some further information, i've installed sebastian404's debranded rom and no there is no android system under battery use, also its a very nice light rom. I'll use this now for a few days and see how things go with the battery..

Will update on this thread..

Guest Simon O

Sebastians ROM is just the stock ROM with the Vodafone stuff removed. The usual and most likely cause of battery drain is an application preventing the phone from sleeping or loading the CPU. It could be one of the Vodafone apps, it could be (and most likely will be) something you installed.

Android System must be running 100% of the time in order for the phone to operated. If nothing else is running on the phone then the Android System amount will show 100% as it's the only thing using the battery. When you use other processes (wifi, screen on, running games) they will consume a percentage of battery so the Android System battery usage will drop. The more you use the phone for other processes, the lower Android System will be.

After a fresh boot or in the morning you'll see that Android System usage is high but as you start using the phone it'll drop as other processes will share usage.

So Android System showing 75% does not mean there is any sort of problem. It just means you used your phone very little.

If you want to keep battery usage down then disable GPS when you don't need it, disable bluetooth when you don't need it and don't set WiFi to keep running when the phone is off. And set any applications that check for data such as mail, facebook etc to longer durations. Checking for messages every 10 minutes is bad for battery.

Have a look at this guide if you want to understand it more and find out how to improve battery life

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18140918&postcount=1

Guest vinnyjones

Hello fibblesan,

You are 100% correct..

I was a little premature in my assumption that the debranded rom had no Android System battery usage, sure enough it came up and it was around the same as before.

I decided to freeze all user apps in Titanium and I noticed that my battery drain stopped (the graph in battery use levelled out)..

I have a hunch regarding which app (Lotus Notes Traveller) is causing the drain but i'm going to start unfreezing apps one by one and monitor the battery drain, i've also downloaded betterbatterystats as advised on that weblink you sent me so i'm going to keep an eye on that.

Thanks for your help

Guest Simon O

Better Battery Stats is a very very useful tool for finding out which application is misbehaving. Another excellent tool is Watchdog Task Manager which will tell you when an app is using too much data, CPU, preventing the phone from sleeping etc.

Guest vinnyjones

So i've been monitoring my usage and although I don't have particulary bad battery life, i can get just about a day out of this phone, I have heard that it should be better, a couple of days for an average user.

What kind of averages do people get from this phone?

My Android System is still way above 50% however the actual CPU total use time seems to be quite low, for example 16m 47s over a 14h 41m 23 time period (the phone actually had to be charged for a period of time during this period). However during this period it has apparently contributed 66% of the battery lost.

I'm a fairly average user of the phone, would have made just over an hour in phone calls, probably surfed for a bit and played some "Draw Something" (its an addictive game, what can I say)

According to betterbatterystats: under Process I see three processes that seem to be hogging some serious CPU time (each one with big thick red lines), the processes are kworker/0:0 (Sys:142sec), kworker/0:1 (Sys:118sec) and kworker/0:2 (Sys:102sec)..

Given that Draw free used (User: 95sec) of CPU time, does anyone know what these kworker processes are and why they are hogging up CPU/battery resources..

Guest FrownBreaker

Couple of points firstly thanks to the pointer about wiping battery stats.

"
Today's myth debunking:
"The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory.
No, it does not.
This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of
operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings
. That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes. It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.
It has no impact on your battery life.

If I've understood correctly then the battery stats might have some impact on what is shown in the usage stats, as the format of the fiel may change between builds (reading the comments below the post). Perhaps that might explain the differences but then Fibblesans ROM is stock minus bloat - Thanks to Fibblesan - Another great ROM