How to get online without a wifi router

Guest Muji12

Guest Muji12

I just want to put this information out for other people who don't have wi-fi and have been looking for a way to get their Vega / other tablet connected to the internet. If you have a win7 laptop wired through LAN, you can create a wireless adhoc network using the below instructions, though not all ROMS support it. HoneyIce 3.2.7 does, but VegaICS beta1 doesn't:

Set up an ad hoc connection:

Go to Network and Sharing Center

Select Set up a new connection or network

Select Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network

Enter a network name, select Open or WEP for security type (some devices couldn’t join WPA protected networks) and enter your desired security key.

Join the ad hoc network using the device you wanted to share your internet connection with

Bridging Internet Connection to Ad Hoc network:

Back to Network and Sharing Center

Select Change adapter settings on the left

Right-click on the Wi-Fi adapter > Properties. On the Sharing tab, uncheck the two checkboxes

Right-click on Local Area Connection adapter (the source of internet connection) > Properties. On the Sharing tab, uncheck the two checkboxes

Now select both the Wi-Fi and LAN adapters (Ctrl + click on both the icons)

Once both of them are highlighted, right-click > Bridge connections

Any device that is connected to the ad hoc network should now be able to leech the internet connection off your Windows 7 PC.

:Source:

Note: on the vega, I cannot connect unless the adhoc network is unsecured. If it has security it just keeps trying to connect without avail, even though the password is correct. Also, the network tends to disappear, but you can make it reappear by going into Network Adaptor Settings and double clicking the wifi connection. You can then connect your wifi connection to the adhoc network, and then it shows up in the Vega.

Edited by Muji12

Guest eilz

Anyone know How To hack the wpa_supplicant in VegaICS to allow Ad-Hoc network.

I have a Nokia N8 and trying to connect using JoikuSpot, my laptop sees the connect fine and connect :)

my Advent Vega ICS does not see/detect and have also tried to manually asdd SSID, but no luck. :(

Is the only option to run HoneyIce which I assume from above post should/will work? I'd prefer to stay with VegaICS though.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Guest Muji12

I hope someone can comeup with a fix for this. The only reason I'm still on HoneyICE is because of the adhoc support, which VegaICS doesn't seem to have.

Guest ptbw

Anyone know How To hack the wpa_supplicant in VegaICS to allow Ad-Hoc network......

I had exactly the same issue with VegaCream and this post came to my rescue.

http://forum.xda-dev...0&postcount=255

Ensure you backup your existing /system/bin/wpa_supplicant then copy over the new file using adb and ensure that the permissions are maintained. Perform at your own risk etc, all I can say is that it works for me.

post-798666-0-64135000-1336499506_thumb.

Adhoc Wifi access points show with a (*) next to them.

Excellent choice of phone btw ;)

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Muji12

copy over the new file using adb and ensure that the permissions are maintained.

Hi Phil

How do you ensure permissions are maintained? Also (I'm new to this), copying the file would presumably be a case of inputting:

adb push c:/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

or is that incorrect syntax?

Thanks. Just want to check and make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess around and break something.

• 5 months later...
Guest RenHoek

Link seems to be a pay service to a Russian pay service that wouldn't work for me. I ended up using the one from this site which worked like a dream:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/31094-request-compile-ad-hoc-enabled-wpa-supplicant/

Again - for poor chumps struggling and searching like me - keywords: VegaCream, WPA_Supplicant 0.8.X ad hoc adhoc network tether. Worked like a dream ;)

I had exactly the same issue with VegaCream and this post came to my rescue.

http://forum.xda-dev...0&postcount=255

Ensure you backup your existing /system/bin/wpa_supplicant then copy over the new file using adb and ensure that the permissions are maintained. Perform at your own risk etc, all I can say is that it works for me.

post-798666-0-64135000-1336499506_thumb.

Adhoc Wifi access points show with a (*) next to them.

Excellent choice of phone btw wink.png

Phil