ICS - unofficial and official

Guest dt_matthews

Guest dt_matthews

1. Has Huawei confirmed when (other than 'this year'!) they expect to release ICS for the G300?

2. Has any Dev started looking at rolling their own ICS ROM for this phone (@tilal) :) ?

TIA,

dan

Guest Simon O

In other words, tilal6991 is a clever guy and as soon as he gets one of these phones he'll bring ICS to you all much sooner than Huawei :lol:

Guest trueno2k
In other words, tilal6991 is a clever guy and as soon as he gets one of these phones he'll bring ICS to you all much sooner than Huawei :lol:

Also as this handset is running on a ARMv7 SoC it should make things a whole lot smoother for the ICS porting, seeing as CM is mostly compiling CM9 for ARMv7 smartphone handsets, well thats how I see it... :P

Guest Frankish

I'm trying to get an official line from Huawei on when we can expect an ICS release... and the kernel of course!

P

Keep us posted! Also speaker fix too ;)

Guest bumps

I really think they could be rushing out the official ICS update soon, this b886 build has nothing wrong with it seems faster/more polished than the stock voda rom so i cant see why it would take so long just to get a little speaker fix.

Guest hecatae

I really think they could be rushing out the official ICS update soon, this b886 build has nothing wrong with it seems faster/more polished than the stock voda rom so i cant see why it would take so long just to get a little speaker fix.

vodafone approval of a new rom takes ages

Guest FrankieADZ

vodafone approval of a new rom takes ages

do u think that Vodafone could get a timed exclusive for ICS?...so when its nearly end of the exclusivity of the G300...then release ICS for it just for there models?...

i know it sounds kinda stupid as im sure someone would rom dump it.

Guest FlatPackPete

do u think that Vodafone could get a timed exclusive for ICS?...so when its nearly end of the exclusivity of the G300...then release ICS for it just for there models?...

i know it sounds kinda stupid as im sure someone would rom dump it.

From what I understand the manufacturer releases a stock rom to all the operators they sell the phone to and they sit on it while they customise it and add their bloatware. The speed of release seems to have more to do with how many bureaucratic hoops it has to jump through before someone finally pushed the button and everyone gets notified there's an OTA update.

AT&T and Verizon in america have both pushed through quick updates on phones to get some free advertising on cnet, engadget etc but you just don't see that happening over here.

Guest Davidoff59

Funny that you say that flatpackpete, as in response to reports of the sound issue, Vodafone said they are only service providers so can't speak about any manufacturing issues. I bet its like a Guy doing DIY and breaking something, then he calls the expert to repair his mess, I wonder is that what happened here with Vodafone breaking it and getting Huawei to fix it.

Lets hope they leave ICS well alone.

Guest FlatPackPete

Vodafone probably didn't flash the firmware onto these phones, as they have a 3 month exclusive deal they probably just supplied all the bloatware and huawei did the rest.

It's times like this that show how long it takes for firmware fixes to happen. We know that huawei have firmware that works, therefore voda definitely do, so what's the delay? Those hoops I was talking about.....

Guest Davidoff59

The warranty states that Huawei is not obliged to offer software support though or something to that effect. Backing that up are Facebook comments saying Huawei released software updates which were buggy and left it at that, they would not fix the bugs.

Guest FlatPackPete

I think that's pretty standard warranty fare, so you can't moan to them that your voicemail doesn't work and suchlike.

Huawei will do a fix, but only for vodafone, they will proSPAMly just re-direct every query over to them, once they've fix it that is...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kadilov

We had a conference here, in Russia, where Huwaei told about pushing G300 to russian market in July, and one news blog mentioned ICS for it. THough its not 100%, I read several articles about that announcement and only one had info about ICS for G300.