118 replies to this topic

timfimjim

timfimjim

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300, Nexus 7
I was told £10 top up and £20 for unlocking. No budging.

Ordered online for £100, no need for a top up. For collect in store so I'll try again when I go to get it... Otherwise £5 on ebay isn't that bad anyway

tawke

tawke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend,ZTE Blade
I ordered mine from Vodafone yesterday and it arrived today. I tried my T-Mobile sim in it just to see and it worked fine. Are they now sim free ?

tsutton

tsutton

Need answers? Use the search feature. :)

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S2/HD2 (Andriod)
  • Twitter:@tony_sutton
Very interesting! I should be getting my phone tomorrow (ordered via web so did not have to pay the £10 top up) so shall find out & report back!

- Tony Sutton
- My Ford Focus ST170 car | My Car's Dashcam Video

tawke

tawke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I hope you confirm that at least some are now Sim free. The phone is telling me about the firmware update. Would installing this perhaps enable a carrier lock if I install it?

Edited by tawke, 22 May 2012 - 04:01 PM.

tsutton

tsutton

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
I don't think so.

- Tony Sutton

tawke

tawke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I don't think so.

You were correct. Updated and still unlocked and still rooted.

hyperfighting

hyperfighting

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:blade
Ordered mine from vodaphone online, installed custom recovery and flashed pauls rom onto it... next step was to unlock it, thought i`d try a non voda sim before i purchased an unlock code, to my surprise it was unlocked ! The phone packaging had a vodaphone pay as u go sticker so i was fairly sure it would be locked. Strange that some are locked and others are not.

tsutton

tsutton

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Strange that some are locked and others are not.

Unless they assumed it would be locked... however would be interested to know if they did check first before buying these unlock codes.

- Tony Sutton

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Contract phones unlocked.
PayG phones locked. This has been covered before but if they have no path phones left, they sometimes give out contract phones which are unlocked.

tsutton

tsutton

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Contract phones unlocked.
PayG phones locked. This has been covered before but if they have no path phones left, they sometimes give out contract phones which are unlocked.

Thanks. I assume it's in stores? What about Vodafone website? Or it's mixed?

- Tony Sutton

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Sorry, My answer above doesn't quite fit as it was bought online. I am seeing a few reporting this for phones bought online.

tsutton

tsutton

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
OK, have got the phone today.

And it's locked! :( It has also confirmed that all contract phone are unlocked while PAYG phone are locked. £19.99 to unlock it.

Off to ebay...

- Tony Sutton

sharaf

sharaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, Archos 70 IT
Ordered from Vodafone website but it came locked, bought an unlock code on the bay today, still waiting....

striker81

striker81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Lost my first g300 last week. Ordered a replacement off the Vodafone website and the phone arrived today. The box had a Vodafone pay as you go sticker on the front but the phone was unlocked! :)

The box I got with the phone a couple of weeks ago didn't have the Vodafone pay as you go sticker on the front

tsutton

tsutton

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Lost my first g300 last week. Ordered a replacement off the Vodafone website and the phone arrived today. The box had a Vodafone pay as you go sticker on the front but the phone was unlocked! :)

Lucky you. My box did not have any PAYG sticker at all, but it was still locked. :(

- Tony Sutton

jonep

jonep

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
Two things.

Anyone who has a blade and is still sitting on the fence thinking about buying a G300. Just do it, this phone is a game changer.

And second I followed other members advice and went in store with a Voda sim card number and got the phone for £100.

Then made the mistake of scanning the IMEI bar code and ordering a unlock as I walked out of the shop only to discover it was unlocked already!

Told the unlocker on ebay to buy himself a beer!

For reference I had been in the store a few days ago but they refused to unlock for free so I walked. The box they had out then had in black pen PAYG by the IMEI label.

Today the box has no writing on but came from the same locker.

RussellS

RussellS

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Devices:Blade, Huawei G300, Jiayu G3
I ordered mine from the Vodafone website and had it delivered to my house. There is no indication on the box that it is PAYG and the phone was locked.

Oh, and I completely agree with this statement.

Anyone who has a blade and is still sitting on the fence thinking about buying a G300. Just do it, this phone is a game changer.

If you are wondering if the G300 will be a decent upgrade from the Blade then YES. I was perfectly happy with my Blade, albeit with a few little niggles, but I though it was a great phone for the price. However, getting the G300 I just realise how much things have moved on at this price point. The things I use my phone for has now changed significantly. I use my phone all the time now for Facebook, eBay, sat nav and general web browsing (and for posting on these forums using Tapatalk) because the battery life is just so much better, the WiFi is so much more reliable, and the screen is that much bigger. Anyone who thinks that the screen is only half inch bigger so it won't make much difference, think again. I couldn't beleive how much more usable it is compared to the Blade.

Edited by RussellS, 25 May 2012 - 07:25 AM.

MickJack

MickJack

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 & Moto G 16gig
Collected phone, eBay for unlock code, arrived today (thanks korter) chucked in a sim, but could not get offer to enter unlock code !!! Tried some other sims, then it dawned that the phone is unlocked !!!!!!! :o from vodafone and that I was being especially stupid !!!

Standard PAYG phone with the red sticker on box if that helps anyone.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

I ordered mine from the Vodafone website and had it delivered to my house. There is no indication on the box that it is PAYG and the phone was locked.

Oh, and I completely agree with this statement.

If you are wondering if the G300 will be a decent upgrade from the Blade then YES. I was perfectly happy with my Blade, albeit with a few little niggles, but I though it was a great phone for the price. However, getting the G300 I just realise how much things have moved on at this price point. The things I use my phone for has now changed significantly. I use my phone all the time now for Facebook, eBay, sat nav and general web browsing (and for posting on these forums using Tapatalk) because the battery life is just so much better, the WiFi is so much more reliable, and the screen is that much bigger. Anyone who thinks that the screen is only half inch bigger so it won't make much difference, think again. I couldn't beleive how much more usable it is compared to the Blade.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. while the Blade is a good phone, i think once people have a go on this they'll really see the difference. i certainly do.
I think once CM,ICS and when the Vodafone rights have ended people might well get 1.
Also think some people think the phone is locked on Vodafone & dont realise it can be unlocked & all that.

timfimjim

timfimjim

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300, Nexus 7
Bought online and collected in store today. Chanced it with my 3 sim and worked! Very happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users