• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Looks like water. Condensation may have caused this and aplying pressure on the screen make it turn into a "blob". Keeping it it in a dry place and avoiding big changes in ambient temperature should keep it at bay.

I really don't think so. If it were water it wouldn't disperse so quickly with a couple of prods. Where is it dispersing to?

BLaZiNgSPEED

BLaZiNgSPEED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
I didn't experience this yet.
But make sure you're not putting it at the back of your jeans pocket. Because if you're sitting on it, you're bound to cause this to happen.
In my case I am always extra careful where I put my phone just so that I don't scratch the phone, etc.

I put it in my normal side pocket. If I have a travelling card/wallet always put it behind the back cover of the phone. Never ever place it infront of the screen. As chances are, not only it would scratch the screen, blobs like that may appear. Also don't put too much pressure on the screen, from anger or anything. :lol:

If you already bought a protective case, well it's futile now. As the damage has already been done. You should ask for a replacement or repair, tbh or else you'll be suffering from this all year. And if not all year, psychologically it is torturing. If you're gonna have to hope and pray when it's gonna go away or not return back again, what's the point? B)

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, BLaZiNgSPEED. Like you, I am extremely careful with my phones. £100 is not an inconsequential sum to me and I like to maximise resale value for when I wish to upgrade. I do generally keep it in a back pocket when walking because it is less irritating there. However, I have never, EVER, sat on it and on all three occasions the blob has appeared have been when carried in my side pocket. I didn't even keep it there for long. I never keep anything else in the pocket that holds the phone. I have treated all previous phones in this way and never had a problem. This and the fact that several others are reporting a similar occurence suggests that it is an inherent weakness with this model (perhaps only a certain batch or something). I have never read of anything like this with any other phone.

I did order a silicone case and screen protector the day I bought the phone, but it took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Sadly I can't return it now, as I have installed b888 and so can't revert to stock. I'll just have to live with it (unless it becomes permanent, in which case I'll have to flog it for sapres/repairs and save the pennies for a replacement).

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
didn't it also happen while sat on your dash Kiwi? I am convinced its the digitiser touching the screen in one spot for some reason. If it was liquid, it would always leave a water stain or water marks from any inpurities contained in the water. It would also probably short out a few leds on the screen itself. Condensation will also fog up a larger area generally and not just pool in a single spot. It also wouldn't keep appearing in one spot.

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 720

Sadly I can't return it now, as I have installed b888 and so can't revert to stock. I'll just have to live with it (unless it becomes permanent, in which case I'll have to flog it for sapres/repairs and save the pennies for a replacement).

Kiwi,

I think Frankish mentions that there is a way to revert back to the Voda rom, that while it may not be totally complete, would probably be enough to for warranty to be accepted. I just have a vague memory of this, and I'm sure his comments are in one of these threads.

I'm by far, no expert in this, so check it out for yourself, cause I could have it wrong. Might be worth the a look and a try though?

All the best,
Bill

strowger

strowger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I'm getting the 'blob' as well. It's present occasionally when I take the phone out of my pocket, and fades after a while.

I can produce it on-demand by flexing the phone with moderate force - by this I mean "more than you would normally consider reasonable, but less than you would expect to cause damage" if that makes sense.

It fades of its own accord after a little while.

I don't know exactly what it is but I recognise it as common when LCD panels are flexed.

Won't be returning mine unless it gets *much* worse - as everything works fine and I can't be bothered setting it all up again.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
I'd be happy to talk anyone through the steps to make it Vodafone enough for a warranty to be ok. I don't view this as fraud in any way as you would be returning for a hardware fault.

Peninsula

Peninsula

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Nexus 7
I can replicate this on my G300, but it does not happen of its own accord, thankfully!

The 'blob' is the glass being touched by the lcd panel. Holding the phone between thumb and forefinger and squeezing will cause the lcd to flex up and touch the underside of the glass.

The gap between the glass and lcd is so small that some pressure from the back of the phone will push the lcd against the inside of the glass and they stick together a bit.

Do you carry the phone in your pocket with the glass facing out, and the battery side facing your leg? I would say carrying the phone in your pocket with the glass inwards should stop this happening.

If it doesn't, then the phone is faulty in my opinion. Something is perhaps warming up due to electrical currents and swelling, pushing the lcd against the underside of the glass.

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Thanks for the feedback, Peninsula. I do actually carry my phone with the glass facing my leg (I usually wear jeans and it seems to me that the fabric of the lining is less abrasive than the denim). The visual appearance of the blob does accord with your description; it does seem that something is pressing from the back and pushing the LCD against the glass at that point. 'Massaging' from the back usually removes the blob in a few seconds. Usually when I press form the back in this manner (with the battery removed) each time I apply pressure the blob gets smaller until, after about five presses, it disappears completely. Currently there is no residue or evidence that it was there. It has happened about five or six times now and in all instances it has been in my pocket and the phone is likely to have been squashed slightly (e.g. when I squat down and the denim is pulled taught). It has never just appeared while I have been using the phone, so it is likely to be the squashing rather than just heat that causes it. I have always removed it by actively intervening, so could not say whether it clears up if I just leave the phone alone for a bit. The only time it did clear up without me mucking about with it is the time I left it on my dashboard (I didn't have time to be taking the back off and faffing about just then) and the blob had gone by the time I reached work. I couldn't say whether this would have happened had I just left it on a desk, or whether it was caused by the vibrations of the dashboard moving whatever is causing the pressure. The next time it happens I'll try just leaving it on a desk and see whether it goes away of its own accord.

As the blob appears to be in the same place for everybody, it seems likely to me that there is a particular component that causes it. Perhaps from a faulty batch, given that not everybody experiences it. I am considering reeturning it, but it has been almost two months now since I bought it and I am running B888, so would have to muck about a bit to get it to a returnable state.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi, 12 June 2012 - 10:38 AM.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
It does seem to be a faulty batch,if it was a fault with the design of the phone many would have this.I personally have no problems with mine,and I have had it for a month now.
I think all devices have a dodgy batch,in fact all things sold must sooner or later have faulty batches.I was one of the unfortunate ones who had a zte blade from the batch with light leak in top right corner,that on top of several dead pixels too.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
have to agree with Jiko, I think that every product can have a faulty batch slip thru. just annoys you to see it if Im honest.

Jamie :)

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Android, Music and some other things.
  • Devices:GT-I8160, Nexus 7.
  • Twitter:@jamielawtherr
Guess who has just returned? The blob! Aaah

Attached File  GEDC0009.JPG   75.12KB   47 downloads

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
I thinks its more than a faulty batch. Some are having hardware failure as well. I just read of some Guy who had 4 random phone wipes in 3 days so he took it back to Vodafone who told him they were having a lot of problems with this phone.
Community users here are only a tiny percentage so we only have a bit to go on. The issue could be more wide spread than we know and it probably is.
Vodafone apparantly dropped the contract deals by a fiver to get stock of this phone out the door.

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
May be just that! I haven't had any other problems with it besides this!
Different batches of phones are usually store/area specific aren't they? Hmm

Gary_J_Wright

Gary_J_Wright

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:Zte Blade III, Lumia 530
  • Twitter:@Gary_J_Wright

I'd be happy to talk anyone through the steps to make it Vodafone enough for a warranty to be ok. I don't view this as fraud in any way as you would be returning for a hardware fault.

I guide would help as i need to make it look as close as b882 vodafone as possible as got the non downgradeable b888 rom on....

Posted Image

rustwood

rustwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend 300
I'm another user with the same problem. It began after about the fourth day. I to carried in my hip pocket (though it never even went outside the house!). Like others on this topic, the size of the blob has grown considerably and will move slightly and expand if I press hard on the glass. I purchased mine on-line from Vodaphone and was, to say the least, a bit put out to find that they reckon they will only accept responsibility for the product for the first SEVEN days (what happened to purchasers rights ?) I was advised to contact the Huawei help desk, which I did, only to be referred back to Vodaphone. A couple of internal phone transfers later I did get to talk to the sales people who have now arranged for my phone to be taken back and (hopefully) my money refunded.
I think the one lesson I have learned is to NEVER purchase from Vodaphone online again! (and I am a shareholder !!!)
I will update any news as it happens.

kai666

kai666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I have had my phone for 4 weeks, and today I get this problem. the blob takes up about half the screen, though aggressive poking does get rid of it eventually, though it comes back when returned to my back pocket

kai666

kai666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I would say carrying the phone in your pocket with the glass inwards should stop this happening

It doesn't. I always keep the glass facing inwards, and get the blob

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Devices:galaxy nexus, nexus 7
Just an FYI - got the phone out my pocket this evening and the blob was there.....argh! Having read about it here I went to take off the hard case I keep on the phone and boom! When I tried to case the case off the blob went away!

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Just an FYI - got the phone out my pocket this evening and the blob was there.....argh! Having read about it here I went to take off the hard case I keep on the phone and boom! When I tried to case the case off the blob went away!

Were you wearing Jeans? I always notice with the same pair of jeans the blob appears, It's happened in the same jeans twice now.. Quite odd because the jeans aren't skinny or anything they're just normal and the pockets are big enough? Strange how it happens in the same jeans though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users