Sky Go arriving on ICS devices at last

Guest Mark Dearlove

Guest Mark Dearlove

For those of you who subscribe to Sky TV, Sky Go is probably an essential part of their offering. Until now we have bemoaned the fact that Sky haven&#39;t seen fit to include a whole host of devices in their compatibility list. That is all set to change &#39;in the next few weeks&#39; as a source has told TechRadar that a host of Samsung handsets, as well as Ice Cream Sandwich devices are being added to their list. There is a caveat here however: Sky are not allowed to offer the service to any device with an HDMI out. This is supposedly down to broadcasting regulations. It seems that HDMI via MHL is acceptable however as shown by current support for the Galaxy S II - go figure&#33;<br />

<br />

We already know from our experiences as well as the original launch information that there are restrictions on the use of the Sky Go platform. If you have a rooted device, then there is no Sky Go goodness for you. If you have an Android tablet, well you are out of luck there too (so far). It remains to be seen what specific devices Sky have in mind, but we will keep you informed if we hear any more information.<br />

<br />

Source: TechRadar<br />

<br />

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

With all of these restrictions it seems to me that Sky and the BBC for that matter are simply promoting the use of pirate content. It also makes me think long and hard about cancelling my Sky contract which is over £50 a month.

Guest mcnob

Had my Virgin media package upgraded to include a TiVo box for two reasons on Thursday last.

1. The Sky HD box is starting to hiccup. i suspect its because (surprise, surprise) i turned down their additional warranty as the initial warranty has expired recently.

2. The shoddy introduction of Sky Go on android.

Seriously, why should i have to fork out for an iOS device purely to get the full benefits from my subscription? Does Apple pay Sky a premium to support iOS fully and screw 95% of Android owners? All i ask is the same value for money for everyone but Sky arent interested in that.

If they do eventually see sense and stop being pathetic, I'll use my Dad's account as he never uses the Sky Go features anyway.

In the meantime, gonna enjoy cancelling my subscription.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.